• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Paul

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Brownsburg
    I am re-finishing a M1 Carbine from my grandfather. It is an Inland MFG Div rifle. My grandfather put a composite black stock on it after the original wood was destroyed (do not know when he did this). My goal is restore it back to how it used to be. I found unissued stock by Overton who made the stocks for Inland. So my main question, anything need to be done to the stock? I have been reading and it seems like light sanding and apply Tru-Oil. Is this correct?

The rest of the gun is in good shape, just need to replace magazine springs.

Cerberus

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 27, 2011
    Floyd County
    If you with to put a "as it left the factory" finish on the stock, you will need to apply a wet raw linseed oil coat, and let it sit and soak in for an hour or so then wipe off all excess and let dry completely. Pure tung oil was used when it could be had, but that largely comes from China and, well we all know the problems that were going on that part of the world at that time. ;)

Hint, just use PTO, it looks the same, was the preferred arsenal finish, and dries faster unless you just have to be perfectly correct. And it looks good on just about anything wood.

ETA: I am assuming that you plan on totally removing all the old crud and gunk with the original finish.

Luckyoldguy

Plinker
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Feb 20, 2017
    NE Indianapolis
    I have been doing quite a bit of research on this lately and found that unrefined raw linseed oil was what was most commonly used on M1 Garands and carbines until near the end of WWll. This not the same as the raw linseed oil you buy at the hardware store. Go to Garand Gear website and read their article on this for a much better explanation on this as well as modern vs real tung oil. Been extremely happy with the results on my Garand and carbine.

Sgt7330

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 25, 2011
    Rush Co.
    I used the Garand Gear raw linseed oil (RLO) on a couple walnut M1 Garand stocks. Ive been happy with the results. I also topped them off with a paste mix (Tom's 1/3) and was pleased. Just be patient with the process, don't apply too much and leave it sitting to get tacky. Wipe off the excess, if there is any. I hand rubbed the stock in small amounts with the grain, giving it 24-48 hours in between coats. (Indiana humidity may even require more time).
    IF you want to change the color more quickly..... like the older red tone that so many of those lovely USGI stocks show, then study up on the dyes and mixes. I have had success with Fiebings leather dye, but it can go a bit too red especially on birch. CMP forum is great place to study on that

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Dhlawson
    Top Bottom