• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • hodgej1843

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Dec 4, 2008
    SOUTH SIDE INDY
    I recently just acquired a Ithaca 37s. What does the S stand for. It's a 16 gauge pretty decent it does have a vetrib barrel. Are these common or not? I've always been a fan of the 37 and wondering should this be a keeper?

dwh79

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 20, 2008
    Wanamaker/ Acton
    It depends on the grade on how desirable they are. In old shape they appear to be going for about 325-375 I used to buy them all day long for 250. Now this is for the standard ones and being older pre 70's. I have a book that Ives all the info you would want on them but I moved recently and I have not come across it again yet. 20ga is hardest to find model 37.

Bapak2ja

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 17, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    It depends on the grade on how desirable they are. In old shape they appear to be going for about 325-375 I used to buy them all day long for 250. Now this is for the standard ones and being older pre 70's. I have a book that Ives all the info you would want on them but I moved recently and I have not come across it again yet. 20ga is hardest to find model 37.

I saw several Ithaca 37s at the Nappanee gun show this afternoon. Asking prices were near $500. I only saw 12 and 20 gauge though. No 16s. At least one was a skeet gun with 28" barrel. Asking prices were high in Nappanee. I was not buying so I did not dicker at all.

Sniper 79

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Oct 7, 2012
    Never seen a 16 or a vent rib model. 12 ga are around if you look hard generally crappy condition for 400 or so.

Kicking myself for not buying the minty 20ga I saw in Kentucky. They had two of them 200 ea. Darn it!

oldpink

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2009
    Farmland
    The venerable old Ithaca 37 is one of the best pump guns you can get.
    One little known fact is that the original design came straight from the drawing board of one John Moses Browning.

JStang314

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jun 8, 2011
    I have a 37 20ga that I believe is around a 1958 that was my Grandpas. Great for shooting clays. I don't get it out that often though. I would love to find a deal on a 12ga sometime.

oldpink

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2009
    Farmland
    I have a 37 20ga that I believe is around a 1958 that was my Grandpas. Great for shooting clays. I don't get it out that often though. I would love to find a deal on a 12ga sometime.

My dad inherited his dad's 37 that he bought in 1937 (yes, the first year that they were sold), with a three-digit serial number, 3xx.
    Too bad that dad had refinished the stock and put a recoil pad on it rather than leaving it entirely original or the shotgun would have a fair bit of collector value.

JStang314

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jun 8, 2011
    THat is too bad. I can see why he wanted the extra padding. Being so light, they aren't easy on the shoulder. I did put one of the cheap slip ons on mine after shooting quite a few clays one day. The only permanent modification I have done was replacing the missing front sight.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    First shotgun I bought myself as a kid was a Model 37 12 gauge (I think I paid 75 bucks for it back then). I loved that gun, and especially the "slam fire" feature. :) It was stolen when my house was broken into when I was in my 20's and I finally got another one a couple of years ago. I also put a Limbsaver on it because as JStang314 said, they will beat you up being such a lightweight gun. I'd like to have one in 20 gauge someday too.

indy1919a4

Master
    Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Jan 7, 2011
    First shotgun I bought myself as a kid was a Model 37 12 gauge (I think I paid 75 bucks for it back then). I loved that gun, and especially the "slam fire" feature. :) It was stolen when my house was broken into when I was in my 20's and I finally got another one a couple of years ago. I also put a Limbsaver on it because as JStang314 said, they will beat you up being such a lightweight gun. I'd like to have one in 20 gauge someday too.

1st that sucks the big one to lose a gun like that... Sorry about that.. A violation that I am sure still burns.. Why do you want a 20 Ga... ?????
    And I would like to try that Slam fire feature.. Be just like those guys in the Wild Bunch... I'll play Crazy Lee

dwh79

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 20, 2008
    Wanamaker/ Acton
    They have went up in value for sure I owned around 9 of them at one time but sold one or two but may be back to that now. I have my grandfathers which is a 16 and then I have a solid rib 30" barrel 12 and then I have a 20 as well as one of the first 12 ga that the current iteration company is making as well as 2 16's that were made by the current iteration from new old stock when they bought out the original Ithaca company. All of my old ones are the field grade and not the delux grade. My old ones are made between about 1948 and 1958. They are a sweet gun and swing and point so nicely.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    1st that sucks the big one to lose a gun like that... Sorry about that.. A violation that I am sure still burns.. Why do you want a 20 Ga... ?????
    And I would like to try that Slam fire feature.. Be just like those guys in the Wild Bunch... I'll play Crazy Lee
    I'd like to have a 20 just because it would be a little more pleasant to shoot clays with I think. I only have one 20 gauge and I enjoy shooting it.

kennedy759

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    May 15, 2014
    New Salisbury Ind
    I have a 16 made in 1946 with pre war wood, I also added a limbsaver and a slip on comb for trap. I disable the slam fire. Its fits me better than any other gun I shoot and swings like a dream.

JStang314

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jun 8, 2011
    I really need to do the research and find the date on mine. I know it was purchased in 57-58 but no idea on when it was made.

oldpink

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2009
    Farmland
    My dad asked me to take one of his guns last week, so I chose his old Mossberg 640K.
    If I get a second bite at the cherry, I think I'll go for that circa 1937 Ithaca 37.
    The only catch is that I have since discovered (when I was looking through his gun vault to choose a gun) that he had at some point painted the Ithaca with some (temporary) camo paint that he had failed to remove completely.
    I already have a 12 gauge, so this gun is a sentimental thing to me, but I'm not looking forward to trying to painstakingly remove the remaining camo without damaging the original patina of the old shotgun.

oldpink

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2009
    Farmland
    I really need to do the research and find the date on mine. I know it was purchased in 57-58 but no idea on when it was made.

I just located a nice resource that will tell the tale going by serial numbers - Ithaca Gun Serial Numbers
    It told me what I already knew about the old 37 originally bought by "Bappy" with its 3xx serial number, that it was indeed manufactured in 1937.

Top Bottom