• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jhart

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 17, 2010
    greenwood
    So I am starting the ball rolling, I started getting in to x-course matches and now mid range matches. But I am already looking ahead to next year and think I wanna either try palma or F class still undecided. But leaning towards F class as I think I wanna use an optic.

Right now the only real criteria I have set since I'm just starting the search for a new rifle. Is I would like to keep the cost per round under $1.00 for me to reload and so I can shoot and practice often with the rifle. (I am leaning towards .308, 6.5 creadmore, or maybe others not real sure)

I also would like to buy a stock rifle that will not need a lot of upgrades IE good trigger and barrel from the start.

I would also like to stay in 1200.00 or less range and have the rifle be easy for future upgrades IE barrel swap

I have looked into the ruger precision, and the savage. But have not really looked at others to this point. Which is my my question what other rifles should I be looking at.

roscott

Master
    Rating - 97.5%
    39   1   0
    Mar 1, 2009
    I've not competed in F class matches, but I have been very pleased with my Remington 700 aac-sd for hunting and distance/precision shooting. It is a MOA rifle, even with mostly stock parts. 308 is cheap and functional, and replacing the 700 barrel is pretty simple and parts are abundant.

This one is a steal and comes in WAY under your budget.

https://www.indianagunowners.com/fo...shotguns/434073-308-remington-700-aac-sd.html

sloughfoot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Apr 17, 2008
    Huntertown, IN
    F-Class is fun. Check the history on why and how it was created and it becomes less fun..

In my personal opinion, it is far more satisfying to shoot small groups with iron sights, from position, with a rifleman's sling.

Easily taught and achieved. Welcome to high power..

Can you shoot across the course in F-Class?

Last edited:

SmileDocHill

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    61   0   0
    Mar 26, 2009
    Westfield
    F-Class is fun. Check this history on why and how it was created and it becomes less fun..

In my personal opinion, it is far more satisfying to shoot small groups with iron sights, from position, with a rifleman's sling.

Easily taught and achieved. Welcome to high power..

Can you shoot across the course in F-Class?

What do you mean "across the course"? I'm not familiar with the phrase in this context.

sloughfoot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Apr 17, 2008
    Huntertown, IN
    What do you mean "across the course"? I'm not familiar with the phrase in this context.

Across the course is the Marine Corps course of qualification fire for almost 100 years. The NRA and CMP courses of fire although I am truly confused on how optically sighted rifles are used. I am pretty sure F-Class is not allowed. But I am open to correction.

Course of fire. 200 yards offhand Slow fire.

200 yards rapid fire with a mag change or reload.

300 yards rapid fire prone with mag change or reload.

500 or 600 yards slowfire.

Rounds fired is either 50 for the National Match Course or 80 for the Regional match course of fire.

I don't know how F-Class can be fired in rapid fire. Within the time limits....

I assumed this is what the OP meant when he said X-course.

jhart

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 17, 2010
    greenwood
    f-class, Palma and x-course are different types of matches, In each type of match there are classes that further break down based on rifle used. In each match with the exception of Palma there are weapons choices to use glass, and others that will only allow Iron sights.

In cross the course, using a service rifle (ie for military issued designed rifle) An AR style rifle is allowed to use a 4.5 max magnification scope, But other style like M1 grand are allowed Iron sights only. It basically has to be shot in a way that it would have been issued to the military.

Also there are classes in cross the course there are other classes that allow more open choice like Match rifle where it's almost open to anything the shooter wants. Except for a few limits on caliber, rifle weight, trigger pull weight, and some other minor things.

F-class can be shot in multiple stages, mid range matches, long range matches, etc.

But the basics is that some rifles will fit multiple classes, and others will only fit one or two. Like my Ar could be used in F-class matches but It's range is lacking on the longer distance matches like 1000yrd matches. But could be used in the mid range matches of 300,500,600. Or the midrange 600 only matches.

I'm not doing a good job of explaining it tho, If you go to this link there is a better break down of each type and class along with a match schedule and rules on what a rifle will qualify in based on how it's equipped.

CIHPRS - CIHPRS Home

KLB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 12, 2011
    Porter County
    I just finished my own search for a new precision bolt. I ended up with the Savage 10BA Stealth 6.5 Creedmoor. You can get one for around $900. It was the best combination of ready to shoot and value that I found.

jhart

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 17, 2010
    greenwood
    I just finished my own search for a new precision bolt. I ended up with the Savage 10BA Stealth 6.5 Creedmoor. You can get one for around $900. It was the best combination of ready to shoot and value that I found.

What drew you to the savage it is also on my short list.

KLB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 12, 2011
    Porter County
    What drew you to the savage it is also on my short list.
    First, I already have a Savage 22 FVSR which I love shooting.

Then, I read a lot about a lot of the new precision rifles. Many of them got good reviews, but the Savage was less expensive than any of the others. I really liked the MPA PCR, but it was $1800. I wasn't ready to pay twice the price for a rifle that would be about the same accuracy wise. I decided to save the money and probably buy a suppressor. If not, I can buy a lot of ammo for that money.

It is supposed to be very accurate out of the box with a good trigger

Top Bottom