• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Hohn

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 5, 2012
    USA
    Honestly it's a dream come true. CZ455 Varmint Tacticool. Gives me everything I wanted in the Varmint Precision Trainer without paying for a Manners stock. Looking forward to scoping and dialing in.

IMG_2115.JPG

IMG_2114.jpg

IMG_2116.JPG

Last edited:

55fairlane

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 15, 2016
    New Haven
    Those really nice rifles,I have seen several hold there own with my Anschutz......you gonna run the stock trigger? IMHO they need some trigger tuning to be really nice.......let us know how it groups

Aaron

Hohn

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 5, 2012
    USA
    Those really nice rifles,I have seen several hold there own with my Anschutz......you gonna run the stock trigger? IMHO they need some trigger tuning to be really nice.......let us know how it groups

Aaron

I have to break it in to baseline it. I'm considering the YoDave trigger that is so popular for these rifles, but honestly the stock trigger feels pretty good to me. It can be adjusted lighter in stock form.

55fairlane

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 15, 2016
    New Haven
    Once you get that trigger pull weight down,you won't be pulling to rifle off target ass you squeeze the trigger,I have my trigger set a little heavy at about 9 ounces.....amazing what a light,crisp trigger will do for your shooting,especially if you do any off hand shooting.........

Aaron

natdscott

User Unknown
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 20, 2015
    If you are pulling 1-2 pound triggered rifles off target, it's your problem, not the trigger.

The CZ triggers are not a 5018, but they're plenty workable.

-Nate

Hohn

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 5, 2012
    USA
    The cost of an Annie relative to this CZ would end up having me forfeit about an entire case (5000 rds) of match-grade ammo for an "improvement" of perhaps a few tenths of MOA. That's not the tradeoff that appeals to me.

And a CZ probably shoots Lapua Midas more accurately than an Annie shoots CCI standard..

At least, that's my assumption..

55fairlane

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 15, 2016
    New Haven
    I'm a silhouette shooter,and my Annie does well on lapua,sk,eley, but mostly sees cci sv, but I do think and allways will believe a CZ can and will hang with the best of rifles......

Aaron

indykid

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 27, 2008
    Westfield
    I can understand that being your dream come true. If that shoots as nice as it looks, it should be a single hole tack driver! ENJOY!!!

Hohn

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 5, 2012
    USA
    I wanted that Manners version too. But for the cost of it, I'd rather drop it in a Masterpiece chassis.

The Tacticool gives you the same barreled action in a reasonable stock.

Hohn

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 5, 2012
    USA
    Once you get that trigger pull weight down,you won't be pulling to rifle off target ass you squeeze the trigger,I have my trigger set a little heavy at about 9 ounces.....amazing what a light,crisp trigger will do for your shooting,especially if you do any off hand shooting.........

Aaron

A quick stop by the Fastenal Gun Spring Store yielded an interesting find.

Most guys who know these rifles talk about the 160A-163A series of springs. This store had none of those.

But it DID have a 153C. It was a thinner gauge wire, but it was longer-- about 1.5". I figured I buy it give it a shot, guessing that the extra length would give give additional preload to help offset the super-thin wire. The OD was about right, so it should fit OK.

Fit it did! Not only that, but it's about half the weight of the stock trigger with NO sloppy sear, no bolt popping out the back of the gun, no bump fires, no slam fires/ fires of any kind other than finger on trigger and squeeze.

I could not be more pleased.

Hohn

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 5, 2012
    USA
    Very nice rifle. Looking forward to your report once you throw some .22 down range.

I only got to shoot about 50 rounds, the kids were getting antsy and I switched to the Victory pistol (they love that gun!). Also, the LOP is a little long for them and they struggle to work the bolt, as it's still pretty tight.

I struggled to get it dialed in. My scope was way off at first. Eventually I figured out that I was shooting way low at the super short range of 25 feet or so. So I "zero'd" it there just to get windage roughly on and I figured I have to wait until a farther, smaller, target to refine the sighting.

What I did learn is that the extraction on this gun is excellent-- it always has a nice grasp on every round. And no feed bobbles that weren't induced by kids short-cycling or double-cycling the bolt. (I never thought I bolt was so hard to learn until I saw them struggle.).

The next day, I had the chance to do something approaching actual sight-in. About 50 yards, it was way high (as one might expect from "rough zeroing" so close). I eventually got it on. Enough to where hitting a 3" plate at 50 yards was almost boring, even though the wind was blowing me all over the place.

I was shooting off a patio with no rest other than the wood railing, and the wind was manhandling my sight picture.

Still, 3" plates were no problem once dialed.

So what's the rifle really capable of?

I HAVE NO IDEA other than it's way better than whatever conditions I've been able to expose it to thus far. I'm going to have to take it to longer range with a more stable rest to make for less shooter/environmental factor so I know what I'm seeing is due to the rifle. With the lightened trigger as well, I'm expecting it to do well-- 1.5MOA or better with good ammo.

This is the 2nd best gun money I've ever spent (after the Victory pistol).

cbost

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 1, 2010
    My rifles easily capable of 1 Moa, bad thing is they're addictive I ended up with another one

BigMatt

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Sep 22, 2009
    With a fixed 4x scope off a shooting bag, my wife shoots dime-sized groups at 50 yards with her 452 scout.

Hohn

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 5, 2012
    USA
    With a fixed 4x scope off a shooting bag, my wife shoots dime-sized groups at 50 yards with her 452 scout.

Anecdotes like this are a big reason why I wanted a CZ, I always heard such good things about them.

I love mine so far. We'll see if it will live up to the accuracy reputation, soon enough.

Now that you've challenged my manhood and all, LOL!

Top Bottom