• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • TheWiz

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 14, 2016
    Fort Wayne
    Just trying to get a second opinion on my current gun gluttony urge. Recently I have been eyeballing the Century Arms C39v2 and RAS47 but I also seen the Ruger AR556 on sale. I already have an AR but wouldn't mind having another to setup differently. I your opinion would you buy a second AR or go for an AK?

venenoindy

Master
    Rating - 100%
    71   0   0
    Jul 14, 2009
    Noblesville
    I was just in the same boat recently, I was really debating all the pros and cons but in my case I had to go with a second AR due to having a lot of mags and spare parts and accessories for the AR platform. When I get into a different firearm I like to get the whole set up (plenty of spare mags,sling, ammo, etc) so it's not cheap, I would have to admit that would liked an AK but would have been a very expensive decision for me but if you have the money I would say go for it.

rob63

Master
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    May 9, 2013
    You gave two different reasons for wanting a second AR; the current sale price and a desire for a different setup. Throw out the first reason completely, you will end up regretting what you purchase if the current price is a factor in the decision. Now, would you rather have a 2nd AR with a different setup, or a different rifle altogether? I can't answer that for you, but you shouldn't add price into the equation unless you are thinking in longer terms such as ammo, mags, or other extras.

EvilElmo

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Feb 11, 2009
    Dearborn Co.
    JMHO, but unless you have a specific itch for an AK that just needs to be scratched why take on an extra platform? It's different ammo, magazines, spare parts, accessories, etc. If you stick with the AR platform then everything's interchangeable.

nrgrams

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jun 3, 2013
    Columbus
    JMHO, but unless you have a specific itch for an AK that just needs to be scratched why take on an extra platform? It's different ammo, magazines, spare parts, accessories, etc. If you stick with the AR platform then everything's interchangeable.

Great advice. Unless your gluttony that has a little extra budget lol.

TheWabbit

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 9, 2011
    In my lair
    Let's stop here - "Century Arms C39v2 and RAS47".

Please go read the multitude of articles about the RAS47 and C39v2 (because it shares components) problems from people like AK Operators Union. And then read the multitude of articles about a first AK purchase which all will point to the WASR. And if you want to spend a little more, get the Arsenal or VEPR.

And if you are interested in 7.62x39, then no, another AR is not the best option. The AR rifles in 7.62x39mm are more expensive and more prone to issues. Get a .300 blackout AR rifle if you want something in a similar range.

mstagg

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 31, 2017
    Indianapolis
    Another gun to add to the collection? Thats pretty much why I buy...

tradertator

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Jul 1, 2008
    Greene County

Please go read the multitude of articles about the RAS47 and C39v2 (because it shares components) problems from people like AK Operators Union. And then read the multitude of articles about a first AK purchase which all will point to the WASR. And if you want to spend a little more, get the Arsenal or VEPR.

And if you are interested in 7.62x39, then no, another AR is not the best option. The AR rifles in 7.62x39mm are more expensive and more prone to issues. Get a .300 blackout AR rifle if you want something in a similar range.

^ Best advice in this thread so far

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette

.300BLK upper. Done
    Use your same lower.
    Mags are identical too, but you'll want dedicated mags to help ensure you keep the right caliber in the right gun.

SKS's are fun too.

firefighterjohn

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 31, 2010

I agree with the WASR recommendation but you also might consider another 7.62x39 alternative; a SKS, there's been some nice one's in Classifieds lately.

IndyTom

Expert
    Rating - 87.5%
    7   1   0
    Oct 3, 2013
    Fishers
    And yet we have multiple reports of people on this very forum who have had no problems with their C39v2s.

If you haven't had an AK and have the desire, scratch that itch. They are fun to shoot, not a lot of recoil and the newest C39v2 release has a nice side rail for mounting optics, if you so desire. You may need to pick up a sight adjustment tool and you will probably pick up some more mags (the Magpul ones works quite well), but isn't that half the fun?

tradertator

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Jul 1, 2008
    Greene County
    And yet we have multiple reports of people on this very forum who have had no problems with their C39v2s.

I hope you aren't including the guy that started 3 threads on 2 forums recently, and got banned from AK Files for 12 pages of trolling before he even shot it. He's literally shot it 1 time with around 400 rounds, and says that it's good to go :laugh:.

It's not up for debate, Century built rifles are inferior in build quality to a properly built foreign one. In order for them to build a gun of equal quality utilizing American labor, the price would exceed what most people are willing to pay for an AK. So they cut corners, and make a nice looking product at an attractive price point, that doesn't hold up under hard use. The pictures of the casting on both the bolt and bolt carrier group (in the previously mentioned thread) literally look like you built it out of a graham cracker pie crust. Reminds me of the aluminum eagle I casted in high school shop class.

TheWiz

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 14, 2016
    Fort Wayne
    Thank you for all the insight. I'm plan to get an AR chambered in 308 or 300BLK in the future. I considered getting a 300BK upper but I would rather just have a complete rifle theirIn the end I will end up with a second AR and an AK, I think I am just stuck on which one I would rather have right now. AK's look like fun, plus the cheap ammo prices are tempting. In regards to an AR I just love all of the options there are out there as far as accessories.

I don't want to start a Century Arms troll war, I have heard of some of the headaches people have had with them but I have also read that they have fixed some of their QC issues (so they say). At that price point I won't have a heart attack if I later come to the conclusion that it is junk. Just looking at entry level AK's.

Clay

Grandmaster
    Rating - 98.8%
    81   1   0
    Aug 28, 2008
    Vigo Co
    well I'll go with this theory, which is against what most would probably think I'm going to say being a die hard AK guy........

1 is none, and 2 is 1. If you have an AR, get another as a backup.

then buy the AK next ;) but not the Century!!! ;p lol

Cerberus

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 27, 2011
    Floyd County
    Go with the second AR. Forget the AK, unless you like increased weight, heavier ammo, heavier mags, decreased effective range, decreased modularity and the AK is just plain rattily and ergonomically poor. If you are wanting a .30 cal option that weighs 9lbs, might as well get something that will increase your range to 1000 yds, like the M1A/M14.

The AK does have a tiny bit of reliability increase over the AR if you get a good built one, and if it doesn't have trigger slap it they can be fun to do mag dumps if you are into that sort of thing, and the ammo is kinda cheap.

warriorbob

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 96%
    24   1   0
    Feb 6, 2011
    Deep breath lol. My ak is similar in weight to my ar, for practical purposes both are plenty modular, a quality ak doesn't rattle, and their effective ranges are similar at about 3 to 4 hundred meters. Both can shoot farther but the 7.62x39 round drops off after about 500 and the 5.56 loses velocity and doesn't hit as hard. Ar is slightly better with ergonomics but not much. Most aks don't have trigger slap since no one uses surplus fcg anymore. I've even run my rifle qualification with an ak and got expert.

As for the ras47 c39v2 I'd avoid them. Way to many mixed reviews from reputable reviewers for me to gamble my money. And although you didn't mention it, avoid IO! They are pipe bombs. If you want to add an ak to the stable, wasr are fine but lack in the fit and finish department. Arsenal has the Bulgarian slr107r for about 850 msrp.

ACC

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    134   0   1
    Mar 7, 2012
    N. Side of Indy
    well I'll go with this theory, which is against what most would probably think I'm going to say being a die hard AK guy........

1 is none, and 2 is 1. If you have an AR, get another as a backup.

Clay has it right. Get another AR, then explore the world of AKs. For the record, I have a RAS-47 that has functioned flawlessly for me (even surpressed) for 2000+ rounds. I also have a WASR that does a great job too.

Cerberus

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 27, 2011
    Floyd County
    Deep breath lol. My ak is similar in weight to my ar, for practical purposes both are plenty modular, a quality ak doesn't rattle, and their effective ranges are similar at about 3 to 4 hundred meters. Both can shoot farther but the 7.62x39 round drops off after about 500 and the 5.56 loses velocity and doesn't hit as hard. Ar is slightly better with ergonomics but not much. Most aks don't have trigger slap since no one uses surplus fcg anymore. I've even run my rifle qualification with an ak and got expert.

You do realize that I've been shooting AKs (the real kind) since 1988 doncha? I've shot examples from just about every country known to make them, and even some not commonly known of. AKs rattle, it's part of the package. The practical real world range of the AKs is normally up to 300m unless you get a very good example. I've also seen first hand what the AK round and AR round does to human flesh. I've always said I'm glad my enemies were primarily armed with AKs.

Top Bottom