• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • sljccj

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 18, 2017
    Franklin
    Its a little beat up and someone painted the stock. Has a bushnell (3x9x40 i think) scope.
    Inside the bore looks great. It operates as it should.
    I do not know much about savage or which model it is or how old it is It has 10 rnd mag.

Anyone know how to tell? I have not looked it over close to see any info.

This is my first rifle I bought it cheap. Just wanted a 22 rifle to plink with.

865F4FCB-E79D-4D25-92D7-607A296006AE.jpg

Bigtanker

Cuddles
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Aug 21, 2012
    Osceola
    Nice find. You've got a good rifle there.

Is it a bolt action or a semi-auto?

These are great plinkers. I picked up a Savage at a pawn shop for under $100. I cleaned it up, painted the stock, (I didn't want another all black rifle) and put a 4x scope that I had laying around. It shoots great. I love shooting bolt action 22's.

Last edited:

sljccj

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 18, 2017
    Franklin
    Nice find. You've got a good rifle there.

Is it a bolt action or a semi-auto?

These are great plinkers. I picked up a Savage at a pawn shop for under $100. I cleaned it up, painted the stock, (I didn't want another all black rifle) and put a 4x scope that I had laying around.It shoots great. I love shooting bolt action 22's.

semi auto. It has black poly stock thats been painted. From google search i think its a savage 64

oldpink

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2009
    Farmland
    My rifle really likes the CCI Stingers. I did some groups with it a month or so back. Here is the target.

It's really surprising to see how poorly it did with CCI Standard Velocity, which does well in most .22's but your tiny group with "Stangers" proves that the rifle can perform when fed the right ammo, even if said ammo isn't necessarily known for being accurate in most rifles.
    Just goes to show that each rifle is an individual unto itself.

sljccj

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 18, 2017
    Franklin

sljccj

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 18, 2017
    Franklin
    I found some info on the 62 vs 64 models in a google search i pasted below.

(Stevens made the 62 and Savage made the 64. They are the same guns. The Savage 64 has been produced in a number of variations, but to my knowledge, the Stevens only comes as a stock plinker with sporter barrel and open sights. I have seen Stevens 62s with wood stocks, but most of the ones you see nowadays just have the plastic job.

I have a Stevens 62 and it shoots remarkably well...3/4 inch groups at 50 yards with a scope. Also very reliable. It takes the same magazines as the 64, and those are easy to find.)

Bigtanker

Cuddles
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Aug 21, 2012
    Osceola
    Nice find. You can never have enough old .22 rifles. :yesway:

BigT- Interesting the Stingers grouped that tight. I would not have predicted that.

I was surprised as well. I was shooting from sand bags with a fixed 4x scope @50 yards. I figured the CCI S.V. would be the best also. I did shoot two more groups with the stangers' with similar results.

sljccj

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 18, 2017
    Franklin
    Thanks for letting me know it was a good purchase. When I go to the range Ill post up my 50 yd results.

sljccj

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 18, 2017
    Franklin
    Nice find. The Savage model 64 typicaly can be found at Walmart fro around $120 I believe.

i looked at one with a tiny scope for 149.99 at gander mtn.
    I could have gotten it for 129.99 but the scope was so dinky i would have had to upgrade it.

The scope on my gun sells for 75 new at local shop. I gave 100 for the rifle with scope. He wanted 125 I told him I felt that was too much. I do not think I overpaid considering the scope.

sljccj

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 18, 2017
    Franklin
    I just finished cleaning it inside and out and oiled it up. Now I just need to go shooting.
    My son wants to go so maybe this week sometime.

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    It's really surprising to see how poorly it did with CCI Standard Velocity, which does well in most .22's but your tiny group with "Stangers" proves that the rifle can perform when fed the right ammo, even if said ammo isn't necessarily known for being accurate in most rifles.
    Just goes to show that each rifle is an individual unto itself.

Yeah, I'm surprised by this too. I shoot CCI SV from my Savage 64 (heavy barrel tacticool model) and have very tight groups.

Also, there's a few upgrades available - triggers, long bolt release and extended magazine release - I think MCarbo has them all.

snapping turtle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 5, 2009
    Madison county
    First rifle I ever bought (high school freshman 1979) was a Stevens model 15-a. The Height of the fur prices of that time had me running traps daily. Raccoons were dispatched with either a small shovel or a nice long stick. Well after the raccoons quit visiting the traps first the skunks started: Traded a raccoon pelt in and bought the rifle and a almost empty box of old 22 rounds for I believe 20 dollars in the high school parking lot and went home on the bus. Boy how times have changed.

From what I have been able to tell it is an old one. Most likely pre ww2. Shoots very well for what it is a skunk dispatching machine. It did take several raccoons also it they seemed real pissed off. Mostly used the shovel back then still.

That one fits the working mans rifle to a tee. Just like that 15-a was perfect for a young trapper.

sljccj

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 18, 2017
    Franklin
    Just a couple of updates.

1 the rifle shoots very well. 50 yards free hand holding 2" groups
    With a bench rest it was nice and tight.

Next update I found a new take off savage 64 stock. I had to shave a little clearance with a razoblade for the charging lever. Other than that a perfect fit.

so apparently photobucket wants me to pay to host. Byebye photobucket

Top Bottom