• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Indycar:v1.1

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 18, 2013
    Not close enuf to the track
    Heard that a friend of a friends son had put his Rem 700 in his vehicle with the rifle LOADED AND SAFETY ON had a AD. This was near Hazelwood on Saturday. Hit him in the lower left torso and clipped the femoral artery. Luckily, he didn't bleed out, but from what I've heard it wasn't a through and through (which we know a non T&T wound is the worst possible), but the medics and Ezcanazi Health were able to stop the bleeding and he's going to recover.

That's all the details I have, but the HCSD did verify to the Dad that the gun was on safety with a fired cartridge in the chamber.

No details on caliber, distance and vehicle type are available.

oldpink

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2009
    Farmland
    Lesson for the day: Do not put a live round in the chamber of a bolt action rifle in a case in your car.
    Yes, the safety should have worked, but you're asking for a mechanical device to prevent prevent a firing pin drop?

BigMatt

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Sep 22, 2009
    I have heard about the Remington 700 having problems with discharges without a trigger pull.

Spooky.

LarryC

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 18, 2012
    Frankfort
    Lesson for the day: Do not put a live round in the chamber of a bolt action rifle in a case in your car.
    Yes, the safety should have worked, but you're asking for a mechanical device to prevent prevent a firing pin drop?

I agree 100%. My son and I often carry several long guns and handguns to the range or other shooting areas, mostly carried on the carpet in my van. The ONLY firearms ever carried loaded are our EDC's. All magazines are removed, and chambers emptied, checked and rechecked before leaving the range. I have been shooting for more than 60 years ~ I can't ever remember any occasion when I have carried any firearm in my vehicle loaded other than my EDC. It just doesn't make any sense to carry a loaded firearm, during hunting season I believe it is illegal.

natdscott

User Unknown
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 20, 2015
    First, I'm glad your friend is okay.

Second...I do not have a problem having a round in the gun with the bolt handle up. That being said, I still follow the rules of muzzle control, and frankly, I don't really like to even have a cased rifle pointed at me.

-Nate

snapping turtle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 5, 2009
    Madison county
    So sorry for anyone placed in that situation. A tragedy when any AD happens worse when damage injury or death occurs.

Still have my rem 700 in 222 R.E.M. Had that thing since the 1980's and was purchased used then. You must disengage the safety to eject the cartridge on this old one. The good thing about this is brush would not open the boot. Never seen an issue in thousands of rounds. Weeks in the field me hundreds of trips on n the car or truck. Personally would never send it in on any recall.

Have seen other bolts that eject shells with the safety still on. Believe these are newer than mine. And some newer than mine which act like mine does. I think we have 5-6 R.E.M. 700's in the family but I am sure none have had the field time of my triple deuce .

avboiler11

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jun 12, 2011
    New Albany
    Remington would save themselves a LOT of trouble and probably money in the end if they'd simply park the X Mark Pro in favor of a Timney 510.

That said, a Walker trigger can feel daaaaaaaaaaaaaaaang good (and be plenty safe!) when properly adjusted.

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    Eez ALWAYS loaded!

Never point it at things you want to keep. Like people.

ND. Not AD. Unnecessary problem. Glad the fellow is gonna live.

LOLWUT?

The problem was the gun was loaded and there probably was no good reason that it was. Let's leave the mental gymnastics out of it.

Guns fail, take measures to avoid catastrophe - like not having a gun loaded unless there's a reason.

EDIT:

And how exactly is this not an accidental discharge? The safety is on, no finger or near the trigger, and it's a known defect of the Rem 700! The guy wasn't coonfingering, so I fail to see how the concept of "it's always loaded" could have prevented the discharge. Guns are not always loaded; it's just a lie you tell yourself in order to make yourself practice safe handling disciplines. If the gun would have been unloaded, then this wouldn't have occurred.

And what do you mean by "unnecessary problem"?

Perhaps you're calling him out because the bullet hit him. Well if it didn't hit him where else could it have gone? Maybe through the floor and into the ground and maybe through the door and into a crowd of people.

Last edited:

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    Remington would save themselves a LOT of trouble and probably money in the end if they'd simply park the X Mark Pro in favor of a Timney 510.

That said, a Walker trigger can feel daaaaaaaaaaaaaaaang good (and be plenty safe!) when properly adjusted.

Does the X Mark Pro have the same problems as the older ones? Mine (older trigger) was misadjusted by the previous owner and fired when the safety was disengaged or the bolt was closed. I've since had it fixed, but I'm always a little skeptical with that one.

Cerberus

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 27, 2011
    Floyd County
    And how exactly is this not an accidental discharge? .

It's not an accidental discharge when the firearm is loaded and discharges when it should not be loaded. At that point it moves into the Negligent Discharge category. If any firearm that discharges while loaded in an appropriate setting, through no actual fault of the individual possessing it, is an Accidental Discharge. One involves human error the other mechanical error, and one can have both. A very simple threshold.

Last edited:

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    It's not an accidental discharge when the firearm is loaded and discharges when it should not be loaded. At that point it moves into the Negligent Discharge category. If any firearm that discharges while loaded in an appropriate setting, through no actual fault of the individual possessing it, is an Accidental Discharge. One involves human error the other mechanical error, and one can have both. A very simple threshold.

Seems overly simplified, but I can't disagree much at all; there was no good reason for this rifle being loaded - it's not a self defense weapon.

The individual was... negligent [in leaving the gun loaded and while handling it there was an accidental] discharge.

CMB69

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Nov 8, 2008
    Indy

Here is an explanation of the problem with a Remington/Walker trigger, done by a gunsmith. It has nothing to do with "adjustment".
    Remington-Walker Explanation - Topic

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    Quick review of safety inspection for the Remington 700, just in case someone does not know.

1) Unload the rifle.
    2) double check to see that it truly is unloaded, and point the muzzle in a safe direction
    3) Close the bolt
    4) engage the safety
    5) yank on the trigger like a mad man. If the gun firing pin drops at this point, you have a problem
    6) take your finger completely away from the trigger and release the safety. If the firing pin drops at this point, you have a problem
    7) I also smack the sides of the rifle, if the firing pin drops, you have a problem
    8) if the gun is still cocked, pull the trigger, if the firing pin drops, no problem.

NOW, handle the rifle safely, don't load it until needed, unload before you transport, always treat the gun as if it were loaded.

Remington has been taking out ads in magazines, sending recall letters, and sending notices to gun shops for over 20 years, I am always surprised at how many people do not know about the potential for a problem.

As mentioned above, a really great solution is an aftermarket Timney (or Jewel) trigger unit, that way you gain a better trigger as well as a better grade safety.

Top Bottom