• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Deadeye(+)

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Feb 4, 2015
    Bainbridge
    Hey guys trying to do some research for a build. I'm needing a barrel that's 1-2 moa capable to 300 yards. Not looking to break the bank though. Prefer a 416 stainless, 16 inch something akin to an m4 contour. Like to keep the groups tight as much as possible. Do you guys have any preferences or suggestions? Thanks

mammynun

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Oct 30, 2009
    New Albany
    It's been my experience that ammo consistency will have more bearing on your goal than barrel selection. If you use Tula, you may have issues with any barrel; if you shoot FGMM nearly any barrel will meet your requirements. As always, the shooter has the largest effect.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 11, 2012
    01001111 01001000
    I've got to ask, why specifically the m4 profile? What benefits are you looking to get from it?

I've become quite a fan of Faxon barrels. For the money, I've found them to be pretty awesome.

Deadeye(+)

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Feb 4, 2015
    Bainbridge
    Really been looking at the ballistic advantage barrels. And to answer the m4 profile I just prefer the weight. I have and ar that has one of the critical capabilities supermatch socom barrels in it (may actually be a socom profile I'm not sure) but I love it. Awesome little barrel. Super hard to find right now though. I've heard a lot of good things about green mountain too I'll look at those

GlockLover

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 5, 2017
    Pittsboro
    It's been my experience that ammo consistency will have more bearing on your goal than barrel selection. If you use Tula, you may have issues with any barrel; if you shoot FGMM nearly any barrel will meet your requirements. As always, the shooter has the largest effect.
    I fully agree.

sloughfoot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Apr 17, 2008
    Huntertown, IN
    I built an upper with a 16inch chrome lined 1X7 barrel with the M4 contour from Sportsmans Guide a few years ago. With 68 or 69 grain reloads loaded exactly the same, it is easily a 2 MOA rifle. It isn't stainless though. Just dull and boring parkerized. I think the barrel cost like 80 bucks. I have no idea who made the barrel.

With irons. And cotton GI sling.

Last edited:

seedubs1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 17, 2013
    Since you're "not looking to break the bank".....Larue Stealth for what you're looking for. All day every day. Attention to detail is phenomenal for the price paid. Only barrel manufacturer in that price range that goes to the extent of indexing and making sure the gas port is between the lands. That attention to detail is in the rest of the barrel as well.

Check out the MOA all day challenges. Larue is always up there. They'll shoot with pretty much anything out there.

As mentioned, finding a load tailored to your barrel is essential as well. A great barrel with crap ammo won't do you much good.

BE Mike

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jul 23, 2008
    New Albany
    I recently put an Anderson M-4 contour barrel with 1:7" twist on my AR carbine. It shoots heavier bullets extremely well. So far it's shooting 1 MOA with 75 grain HPBT bullets. The price is right on their barrel, too!

Top Bottom