• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • spyshot

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 10, 2010
    Winchester/Union City
    Been doing some looking on a .357 lever gun for backyard plinking fun. I was set on getting an old pre-safety marlin but the prices are ridiculous. What can you teach me about the Winchester line-up? I was trying to get one without a manual safety but I may give in on that.

What Winchester do you think is best for .357, the model 1873, 1892 etc. ?

I think I'll be ok with a Uberti reproduction too. Just want to understand better the differences.

Adam

indiucky

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    All the weapons you mention are up there in price with the Marlin 1894's in .357 magnum....Just an opinion but if I was you I would go with a Marlin...If not a Marlin try for a pre braztech Rossi without the safety...All steel, nice wood and still about $500 or so.....Their copy of the 1892 in the 1970's and 1980's were VERY well made rifles....

They are hard to find....Check gunbroker under Rossi, Puma or El Tigre....

Areoflyer09

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Feb 28, 2017
    Indianapolis
    .357 levers has been a hot topic at my house over the last two weeks. More pop than my Golden Boy, more fun for me than my AR. (ARs have their place, I just don't find it as enjoyable as lever actions.)

I'm pretty well settled on the Henry Big Boy in .357. I like the brass and it'll look good next to my Golden Boy. There is not a manual safety on it, if I understood things correctly there is a trigger bar that stops the hammer if the trigger isn't pulled though. The only real complaint I've seen is that some people prefer loading through the receiver and not loading through the tube.

If the brass isnt your style it has a steel model, all weather model and I think there is a silver model as well.

I haven't looked at the Winchesters, but I may do so before I get to buying.

M67

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 15, 2011
    Southernish Indiana
    All the weapons you mention are up there in price with the Marlin 1894's in .357 magnum....Just an opinion but if I was you I would go with a Marlin...If not a Marlin try for a pre braztech Rossi without the safety...All steel, nice wood and still about $500 or so.....Their copy of the 1892 in the 1970's and 1980's were VERY well made rifles....

They are hard to find....Check gunbroker under Rossi, Puma or El Tigre....

The issue with these rifles is the warranty, the Interarms rifles (pre Braztech), Braztech won't touch them if they need work done. Any issues pop up with them, you're going to pay for it.

I'd be patient and see if you can find a Marlin within your budget. The Winchester action is slick but the Marlin feels better to me

spyshot

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 10, 2010
    Winchester/Union City
    i know this is going against the grain on what you guys are saying, but i'm being offered a taylors 1873 .357 for about $650. Anything negative about this model? seams cheap when i compare it to a new one, but i know nothing about Uberti quality. Seams I'm going to be well over 800 on the marlin i want.

Thanks so far for your input!
    Adam

Alpo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 23, 2014
    Indy Metro Area
    Lots of cowboy action shooters have a Rossi in the safe. As to what can go wrong with them.....well, not much except the cartridge guides, and that is generally a "competition" problem (cycling 38 specials fast). The 92 is a LOT stronger than a 73. If you're going to be shooting 38's, not a big deal. Give the rifles healthy doses of magnums and the 73 action will likely be the first to fail.

I prefer the Marlin, but a Rossi isn't a bad second choice.

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    I have an Uberti 1873 in 357 magnum, fun gun for cast bullets, I have no complaints.

spankys56

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 11, 2014
    NWI
    Keep saving and get a 94AE Winchester they are expensive and most do have the cross bolt safety, not a deal breaker. Don't listen to all the guys that say they would never own a cross bolt safety levergun, they probably do not have one at all. The JM stamped marlins are good too but if you reload and cast your own bullets the microgroove barrel can be a challenge. Also consider the 44mags too. Don't buy any of this new crap out there, the quality is not there any more. Go older used.

cbseniour

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Feb 8, 2011
    South East Marion County
    Henry's new Big Boy steel received is a great gun. It doesn't load from the side but is solid, has a good action smoother than most and is very acurate. Oh, and if you can break it Henry will fix it. I'll be keeping mine for a long while.

snapping turtle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 5, 2009
    Madison county
    Winchester did make some 94ae and top eject 94 in both trapper and a more standard 18 inch barrel. Also a few with a synthetic stock I believe called the black shadow. Marlin sold far more 1894 starting in about 1969-1970 than Winchester with microgroove barrels they almost all have 18 inch barrels and walnut blued. A few stainless and walnut rifles were made a few years a ported version was made and 351 stainless and laminated 16 inch barreled versions were made. Rossi made a few 357 max 1894 copies and more 1894 copies. Do remember when these were first re released the Dirty Harry movies were out and many more were made/sold in 44 mag over all.

The non cross bolt safety version of the marlin is what to look for. Any JM stamped marlin 357 mag. The others will do and the winchesters top ejects are a little smoother than the marlins on level cycle.

snapping turtle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 5, 2009
    Madison county
    If you find a 1894 marlin microgroove and need to handload cast bullets let me know. I have found a few little tricks that work wonders.microgroove barrels can shooot cast well. Just a little learning curve and some components adjustment has to be made to deal with marlins typical oversized bore. Once you find the right pills the rest is just finding the correct speed.

Restroyer

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 13, 2015
    SE Indiana
    I have a Rossi in .357. Love it. We shoot a lot of .38 special because of the cheaper cost than the .357. Used it to deer hunt also. Had it for about 5 years. Never had a problem with it and I'd buy one again.

700 LTR 223

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 5, 2008
    I picked up a Marlin 357 last summer for a decent price but it was a 2008 production. Regardless of being less collectable the gun is flat out fun to shoot! Accurate and reliable too. Then not long ago I picked up a Henry Big Boy Silver. Rifle looks great and has shot very well. Unfortunately the tube on mine is absurdly difficult to remove. With that much effort I much prefer to use the side loading gate of the Marlin. The Henry also has some copper fouling issues. Hopefully Henry will get the issues corrected.

oldpink

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2009
    Farmland
    Keep saving and get a 94AE Winchester they are expensive and most do have the cross bolt safety, not a deal breaker. Don't listen to all the guys that say they would never own a cross bolt safety levergun, they probably do not have one at all. The JM stamped marlins are good too but if you reload and cast your own bullets the microgroove barrel can be a challenge. Also consider the 44mags too. Don't buy any of this new crap out there, the quality is not there any more. Go older used.

Agreed about the hammer block safety Marlins.
    I realize many people dislike that "feature," a sop to the lawyers and something I'd rather do without, but it has never caused a single problem with my 1894 .45 Colt.
    All the bellyaching about it is overblown.

oldpink

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2009
    Farmland
    I have an 1895 with one and it doesn't give me any problems, but I think it looks ugly.

That's about the only really valid complaint about it, but there are aftermarket shims to replace the safety entirely that can be used to make the machining less obtrusive.
    I have to admit that I prefer the clean lines of my circa 1984 39A, which has only the good old reliable half cock notch for a safety.

snapping turtle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 5, 2009
    Madison county
    Growing up shooting level actions without the cross bolt can cause issues with flicking the button to fire position. Can cause the click. Work level click. Happened in deer season just once. Still got my deer but felt like an idiot when I hit the button and the round went off. Other than that they are fine idea for most people.

Early mornings and clear thinking not my strong suit. If you have always had the button it will not be an issue. If you think better than I do at first light you will not have any issues.

spankys56

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 11, 2014
    NWI
    It really is not much worse than a Remington 870 safety. I use my left hand and pinch the safety between my thumb and pointer finger and gently slide it to fire. Seems to be almost silent that way. It is really splitting hairs, about the looks of the gun. The fact remains that the cross bolt guns are going way up in $$ too for a reason. The guns these days just are not made to that level anymore.

Top Bottom