• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • edsinger

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Apr 14, 2009
    NE Indiana
    First, some of you have read my journey with the C39V2 from Century Arms (Customer service is crap), but the gun I like so far. The journey has been to find and American made AK that I can have fun with and support my countrymen. I own Mosin's and other Russian stuff so it is not that I do not want a combloc one. I am an AR guy but it was time to change and I did a lot of reading. I will not bore you with the whole thing but I have taken a chance on Riley Defense and their pure American made AK. Yeah I know some of you will cringe but hey, its my money and I want them to succeed and I put my monies on it.

INGO is my first choice but I have spent more time at the Files as of late as it deals with AK and some of them are just snobby to some degree.

The Riley Defense RAK47 came in and I took her to the range, I got about 120+ plus rounds through her and then I had some issues. Well the haters will of course say "I told you so' but if it could have happened to one person that would be fair to them, I guess I was that guy. The people I purchased it from were all over it, and the owner of the company called and I called him back. He spent the time answering my questions and asking his own. This has not occurred to one of their rifles as of yet. So I will send it back tomorrow and let them see what the issue is. I am totally happy with the customer service I am getting but the verdict is not complete. If you have an interest in the matter, follow the thread here.

Black Stock Riley Defense - Review - Range Report - The AK Files Forums

Either way, it will be interesting how this turns out I am sure.

At this point I do not regret the purchase ~($500) at all. These things happen. The gun was accurate and fun to shoot, so we shall see.

Cheers!

tradertator

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Jul 1, 2008
    Greene County
    Ed,

Let me start off by saying that I have read each thread you've made, on both forums about getting into AKs. I am rooting for you, I honestly am. AK's are a pashion for me, and I love to see people get into them. But I kind of feel like I'm bashing my head with a rock as I am reading through them, haha. I believe you have really good intentions, but you are choosing to learn why guys advocate for Com Bloc guns the hard way. I truly don't mean this as a snob or trying to be a dick, but have you had the chance to handle or shoot an Arsenal yet? I didn't get it either until I bought my first one. I had always liked AKs, but that particular rifle pushed me over into being nuts about the platform. After getting it, I put at least 10K rounds of 7N6 through it in the course of 1 year, without a hickup. Accuracy was near that of my 6920, and the way the parts wore blew my mind. Since then, I've bought 4 more Arsenals. The platform can be incredible, if you let it be.
    Two points,
    -1) The SLR107R has been back in stock since you started down this road, for $850. And at this point, you sunk $1300 into this adventure (with the 2 rilfes) That would have gotten you an SLR107FR or SAM7 if you shopped around.
    -And 2) You don't hear anything about Arsenals customer service, and for good reason; You are highly unlikely to ever need it. I don't think that's going be the case with your Century (if you shoot it enough,) and definitely hasn't been with the Riley already. What makes the AK so legendary is it's ruggedness and reliability. I don't think you are going to experience that with either of the 2 rifles you've bought, and that seems like a shame. And to be honest, the problems you are experiencing with that Riley AK are not only abnormal, but pretty alarming.

Before my first Arsenal, I had spent most of my time on a WASR that I bought dirt cheap back in 05 or so. The sights were canted, the finish was rough, the mag wobbled horribly, and the trigger would slap your finger hard enough to nearly bruise it. I straightened the sights with a mallet, and replaced the trigger with a G2. ....And that said, it performed flawlessly. I put over 5K rounds through it before cleaning it, trying to see what it would take to stop the damn thing. Finally gave up and cleaned it, because I planned to sell it and was embarrassed with how filthy it had become. I really wish I had taken a picture of the gas tube, because it was a solid block of carbon with a hole bored through the center from the piston.

I get wanting to support the American worker. My dad's factory job was outsourced to Mexico when I was growing up, and I have several family members that experienced the same as him. My hometown used to be home to GE, RCA, OTIS elevator, ABB / Westinghouse, etc.... They are all gone, and it's hard to find a job here. But that doesn't mean I will buy a sub par product in lieu to a superior one, simply based on where it is manufactured. The global economy has changed, and it's nearly impossible to find a truly 100% America made product nowadays. It might be assembled here, but who knows where all the parts or materials come from. I would love to see a top quality AK with Old Glory proudly waving on the side, and "Made in the Mother ****ing USA" engraved across it. I hope we get there, but we just aren't yet.

edsinger

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Apr 14, 2009
    NE Indiana
    Ed,Let me start off by saying that I have read each thread you've made, on both forums about getting into AKs. I am rooting for you, I honestly am. AK's are a pashion for me, and I love to see people get into them. But I kind of feel like I'm bashing my head with a rock as I am reading through them, haha. I believe you have really good intentions, but you are choosing to learn why guys advocate for Com Bloc guns the hard way. I truly don't mean this as a snob or trying to be a dick, but have you had the chance to handle or shoot an Arsenal yet?

No ill taken. What got me the most was the attitude at that other place towards newbies. It pissed me off and yes some of them are gun snobs, plain and simple. Others not so much. I did a lot of reading and the C39 was my choice at the time that I had the monies. I do not regret it as of yet but I will probably never put 10k rounds down her. I have yet to even hold an arsenal but someday I might just get one. That was I would have a lower end, mid range, and higher end AK. That is on the back burner for now.

I didn't get it either until I bought my first one. I had always liked AKs, but that particular rifle pushed me over into being nuts about the platform. After getting it, I put at least 10K rounds of 7N6 through it in the course of 1 year, without a hickup. Accuracy was near that of my 6920, and the way the parts wore blew my mind. Since then, I've bought 4 more Arsenals. The platform can be incredible, if you let it be.

I am sure it can. I am not really nuts about them but they sure are growing on me. I wanted an American Made AK if I could get it. It really is that simple. It is a toy and I wanted to help the economy. I was under no illusion that the C39 would compare to an Arsenal.

Two points, -1) The SLR107R has been back in stock since you started down this road, for $850. And at this point, you sunk $1300 into this adventure (with the 2 rilfes) That would have gotten you an SLR107FR or SAM7 if you shopped around. -And 2) You don't hear anything about Arsenals customer service, and for good reason; You are highly unlikely to ever need it. I don't think that's going be the case with your Century (if you shoot it enough,) and definitely hasn't been with the Riley already. What makes the AK so legendary is it's ruggedness and reliability. I don't think you are going to experience that with either of the 2 rifles you've bought, and that seems like a shame. And to be honest, the problems you are experiencing with that Riley AK are not only abnormal, but pretty alarming.

Yeah I saw it was back, my budget is now gone as I had to get ammo. Maybe late summer I might consider it plus they will be getting cheaper I think. The $500 Riley was purely for one reason. I was willing to put my money where my mouth was and give an American manufacturer a chance. They are new and I get to be a part of it, failure or success.

As for alarming, you are correct and I was concerned and rightly so. I had been following the other reviewers and their progress and I wanted to help. I fully did not expect what happened but in a strange way, it is probably good that it did to someone like me. I am not in there bashing that American POS, I am fully giving the Manufacturer the benefit of the doubt. Think about it, what if they do have good service and listen. What if they can make a great AK for $800 and have outstanding customer service? Would you buy one then? Maybe not but it is my hope that they end up being just that. An American company that makes a good AK. Their reaction so far is pretty telling if you ask me. On the phone the guy was upset as this is , according to him, the first issue like this they have had. The other neat part is the folks I bought it from. They are on the sidelines watching as well...I have no fear I will be treated right and I look forward to shooting it more.

I really do like my C39......

Before my first Arsenal, I had spent most of my time on a WASR that I bought dirt cheap back in 05 or so. The sights were canted, the finish was rough, the mag wobbled horribly, and the trigger would slap your finger hard enough to nearly bruise it. I straightened the sights with a mallet, and replaced the trigger with a G2. ....And that said, it performed flawlessly. I put over 5K rounds through it before cleaning it, trying to see what it would take to stop the damn thing. Finally gave up and cleaned it, because I planned to sell it and was embarrassed with how filthy it had become. I really wish I had taken a picture of the gas tube, because it was a solid block of carbon with a hole bored through the center from the piston.

I can believe it. I saw that one picture from Africa and the woman holding an AK that looked like it might have been cleaned in the 60's. I get it, I really do. I like the design and its simplicity. As for a toy, right now I am spending on US things. Sure I bought Turkish Ammo because it was cheaper. The higher end AK's were not in my budget when I started the journey. I made up my mind when I saw this. I could not get that stock though.

14vjurs.jpg

I get wanting to support the American worker. My dad's factory job was outsourced to Mexico when I was growing up, and I have several family members that experienced the same as him. My hometown used to be home to GE, RCA, OTIS elevator, ABB / Westinghouse, etc.... They are all gone, and it's hard to find a job here. But that doesn't mean I will buy a sub par product in lieu to a superior one, simply based on where it is manufactured. The global economy has changed, and it's nearly impossible to find a truly 100% America made product nowadays. It might be assembled here, but who knows where all the parts or materials come from. I would love to see a top quality AK with Old Glory proudly waving on the side, and "Made in the Mother ****ing USA" engraved across it. I hope we get there, but we just aren't yet.

Well I can not disagree with what you say but I too hope we get there and I want to be part of it. Hometown Evansville? I lived in that area and had to move North for a job. I would love to move to the Bloomington Area but there are no jobs that pay so here I sit in the Ft. Wayne Area.

I guess the reaction on the Files made me even more stubborn. You would not believe the PMs I get over there from folks afraid to speak out. Its a click and I am not part of it, and I like that. If we treated people like that here at INGO I would be ashamed of us. We do not, so part of it is I like to trigger them. Still all and all so far I do not regret my C39 purchase. Well actually I would like to buy the one in the classifieds with all the goodies with it. Timing is everything...

Good Day

Cheers!

PS Have you had the change to hold a C39V2 and shoot it? I know it would not be better but I have held a WASR and I like the C39 better.

Last edited:

aturk

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 25, 2016
    Charlotte, NC
    This is a topic that hits quite close to home for me.

My first AK was an American Made AK, also from Atlantic Arms, from a shop in Pennsylvania. Atlantic Arms was less than stellar to deal with, but the shop in PA (name escapes me) was pleasant to deal with. However, the gun was a piece of ****. I had to send it back twice for different issues and I still had problems but after the second return, Election Panic was high so I was able to sell it for more than I had in it.

Fast forward a year or two, I wanted another AK. I love the platform. DDI was relatively new on the scene, had some good initial reviews. I picked up their earlier Hungarian models with all the Magpul fixin's. Right after opening the box it had issues. The bolt wouldn't run right without a lot of force, certain magazines didn't fit, etc. I ran a few magazines through it at the range, had nothing but problems.

Sent it back to DDI, they told me the receiver needed replacing. NBD, somehow it must have slipped through their great QC. Got the gun back, everything runs, mags fit, etc.

Still - I have zero expectations for the rifle. I wanted to put a better trigger in it, so I took it to AWS in Greenwood, IN. I wanted them to put the trigger in it, and give the rifle a once over. They build AK's from the ground up, so he was able to quickly identify some issues with the gun.

He put in a ALG trigger. He doesn't like them out of the box, so he spends some extra time fitting and polishing it. It's FANTASTIC.

The dust cover didn't fit right. I had no issues with it falling off, but they were able to grind and tweak on it a bit for a custom fit.

Headspace was off. Bolt would close on a no-go gauge. So at this point, I realize DDI is ****, I didn't want to send a gun back to them a second time (my first experience with a **** made American AK is fresh enough in my head).

I picked up the gun in about a week from AWS, gun runs great, shoots great, all is well. I'm getting ready to take a class from ACT with it in the next month. Hope it runs OK.

Going forward, with all the time and wasted money I've had on AK's, I would buy a Kreb's, or a RD. No other option. I don't care if they are a poser gun or not.

IndyTom

Expert
    Rating - 87.5%
    7   1   0
    Oct 3, 2013
    Fishers
    Just to be clear, the C39 is an American-made rifle from the ground up, not an American-assembled-from-foreign-parts-kits rifle. I'm guessing the Riley is, too, but I haven't looked into it.

There are a lot of horror stories out there about assemblers throwing those parts together in a very sloppy way. It is one of the reasons I went with the C39, myself (I had seen people have issues with Century-assembled kits in the past, to be fair, but I hoped that they'd put the right time and effort into their own product), and I haven't been disappointed.

tradertator

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Jul 1, 2008
    Greene County
    PS Have you had the change to hold a C39V2 and shoot it? I know it would not be better but I have held a WASR and I like the C39 better.

I have handled one on a few occasions, but have never fired one. I'm no stranger to milled AK's though, and have owned several over the years (SLR95, SAM7UF, SAM7, maybe a few others). I think it looks great aesthetically, but what worries me are the cast parts. And I've had such poor experiences trying to deal with Century Arms (on numerous screws up from them), I've just learned to stay away and spend my money with better people.

AKs are overgassed monsters, with a violent action slamming home each round and the guns run extremely hot compared to a lot of stuff out there. It's not a very forgiving platform when built incorrectly. It's funny when you hear people say that they are built in caves by neanderthals, etc...., because you instantly know that individual has never built one. I don't have near the experience building as the others on this forum, but I assure you, there is a lot too it. Especially compared to an AR, which is not much worse than a Lego set. And one of the biggest drawbacks to them in today's world is that they are built on 1940's technology. Very labor intensive to build, which means expensive if done with US workers. So by buying from countries in Eastern Europe, you off set that cost with much cheaper labor. For example, Arsenal milled receivers are not milled from bar stock like the US stuff. They are actually hot die hammer forged, and take about 5.5 hours to mill. Most everyone in the US are taking short cuts (like casting) to cut cost so they can make a comparatively priced product to a foreign one, and that's why they don't perform like the Com-Bloc stuff. It sucks, but sadly, that's just how it is.

knutty

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Aug 5, 2016
    Noblesville
    This is too funny. Ed, it's time for you to go all in and complete the US trifecta with an IO made AK.

But seriously, there is a great deal on a Mak 90 on the trader here, just cut your losses and buy a real commie factory AK. Shoot it every weekend for the next 10 years and watch it go like the Energizer bunny, no worries.

tradertator

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Jul 1, 2008
    Greene County
    Well I can not disagree with what you say but I too hope we get there and I want to be part of it. Hometown Evansville? I lived in that area and had to move North for a job. I would love to move to the Bloomington Area but there are no jobs that pay so here I sit in the Ft. Wayne Area.

Bloomington. Used to be a pretty industrial town, but the job scene here has been decimated post NAFTA. There are a few medical device manufacturers in town still (Cook, Baxter, maybe a few others), but IU is definitely the main employer anymore. But as much as this town gets on my nerves, I do love it.

Tyler-The-Piker

Boondock Saint
    Rating - 100%
    101   0   0
    Jun 24, 2013
    ><(((((*>
    ...I've read all threads on both sites, and I can't help but like ed...thick skin and determined to follow through with his plan. All the while, thanks to his research and the discussions with everyone who has replied to his threads, when I finally buy my first ak* it will surely be combloc

(*my Zastava m77 .308 doesn't count)

edsinger

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Apr 14, 2009
    NE Indiana
    This is a topic that hits quite close to home for me. Going forward, with all the time and wasted money I've had on AK's, I would buy a Kreb's, or a RD. No other option. I don't care if they are a poser gun or not.

I am sorry to hear that. Really I am and heck I might end up in a similar boat.

Just to be clear, the C39 is an American-made rifle from the ground up, not an American-assembled-from-foreign-parts-kits rifle. I'm guessing the Riley is, too, but I haven't looked into it.There are a lot of horror stories out there about assemblers throwing those parts together in a very sloppy way. It is one of the reasons I went with the C39, myself (I had seen people have issues with Century-assembled kits in the past, to be fair, but I hoped that they'd put the right time and effort into their own product), and I haven't been disappointed.

You sir are in an extreme minority, but I too like mine a lot. However I would read up on them so that you are at least aware of what the Kool Aid drinkers are saying. I might not agree with it but I do respect it.

Most everyone in the US are taking short cuts (like casting) to cut cost so they can make a comparatively priced product to a foreign one, and that's why they don't perform like the Com-Bloc stuff. It sucks, but sadly, that's just how it is.

I can not say that I disagree, but I surely hope this is the start of change for that perception. Time is money. Maybe Trump will tariff WASR's?

Its a joke folks...

This is too funny. Ed, it's time for you to go all in and complete the US trifecta with an IO made AK. .

I don't care who you are, but that was funny. You know I looked at them before I knew what I now know and they did nothing for me. High priced I thought...

Bloomington. Used to be a pretty industrial town, but the job scene here has been decimated post NAFTA. There are a few medical device manufacturers in town still (Cook, Baxter, maybe a few others), but IU is definitely the main employer anymore. But as much as this town gets on my nerves, I do love it.

I am down there once in while. Was there a couple of weeks back and I saw a dude walk by me in a bar while playing darts. He was in a dress and it was not a kilt. I was told it was normal. WTF?

Oh well, I do like the area, but not IU. Well make that most campuses anymore.

. All the while, thanks to his research and the discussions with everyone who has replied to his threads, when I finally buy my first ak* it will surely be combloc

Glad I could be of service........ I think :n00b:

All BS aside, I do like it but I guess if I get the chance to fire one dem der commie guns I will just spoo all over myself at the quality. :):

edsinger

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Apr 14, 2009
    NE Indiana
    I just got banned again, touchy over there. They can sure dish it out but they can't take it.

'You have been banned for the following reason: Recidivistic behavior'

Yeah, I had to look that one up....

Oh well, I need a break anyway.......

KG1

Forgotten Man
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    Yeah it does appear that the "rough and tumble" hardcore akfilers get their panties all bunched up when they experience a bit of blowback that disrupts their jaded universe.

That being said I have been following all of the threads concerning Riley Defense and i'll have to say that it appears atleast at this point that they are truly giving a legitimate go at producing an American AK marketed toward the hobbyist shooter that just might turn out to be of decent quality to fill that role and then some. They themselves make no bones about that being their core market.

Riley Defense looks to be promising and I am willing to give them a shot. So much so that I have one of their AKs on the way to my FFL that should arrive next week. Any further updates you might be willing to provide here on the outcome of your dealings with Riley would be appreciated.

edsinger

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Apr 14, 2009
    NE Indiana
    Absolutely I will be keeping the thread going over here as far as my review goes. They now have the rifle let's see what they find and we'll know more about their customer service. I truly am happy so far. I know I got a rifle with an issue but these things happen. Kind of glad it happened to me rather than one of the others, they would do nothing but whine and cry.

The important thing to understand is their Market. If successful in this market I cannot see why they would not up the ante a little bit.

Tyler-The-Piker

Boondock Saint
    Rating - 100%
    101   0   0
    Jun 24, 2013
    ><(((((*>
    Well ed ...disregard what I said upthread lol
    because there was a pretty good deal in the classies that I decided to jump on...i might as well get familiar with the platform on a c39v2.
    thanks for your honest and thorough reviews (with a nod to PaulF)

Floivanus

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 6, 2016
    La crosse
    Take the files for what it is, an amazing repository of vast amounts of info on combloc AK type rifles.

You wouldn't go on a vintage Camaro forum telling them how your brand new 2017 mustang is just as good as someone's 69 yenko and not expect flak for it. That being said, having seen MAC's c39 in person and having shot good working century manufacfured guns, you can get lucky.

interested to know if Riley can make a decent working cast parts gun that lasts several thousand rounds or if they end up going to forgings in the future

edsinger

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Apr 14, 2009
    NE Indiana
    Well ed ...disregard what I said upthread lol because there was a pretty good deal in the classies that I decided to jump on...i might as well get familiar with the platform on a c39v2.thanks for your honest and thorough reviews (with a nod to PaulF)

I saw that and wanted to jump on it. Alas I already have one but that was a good deal.

Take the files for what it is, an amazing repository of vast amounts of info on combloc AK type rifles.

With a flavor of fanboy talk also. It is still an AK, combloc or not. No worries I can handle it.

interested to know if Riley can make a decent working cast parts gun that lasts several thousand rounds or if they end up going to forgings in the future

I hope to find out and I am updating my post below.....

edsinger

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Apr 14, 2009
    NE Indiana
    Update : RAK47 Returned...

Well after a brief phone call with Riley, they wanted it back to take a closer look at the firing pin issue. I just got it back and everything seems OK. I will post comparison pics below, but here is what the issue was according to Riley Defense. (Repaired at no cost to me)

The firing pin had an obtuse angle on the front portion of the firing pin which in turn caused the minor diameter that the pin protrudes thru on the bolt to get out of tolerance, so a new bolt was head spaced and checked by the go and no go gauge.
    On the cover we fired around 45 rounds and another 20 that were videoed and it didn't pop out. So in order to be absolutely sure this doesn't happen again, we installed a new cover and pushed the rear sight about .020" towards the back of the rifle and re-pinned it so it's locked in place and snug against the cover tight.

The one thing I can say, and I truly mean this, they want to succeed and you can hear it in their voice. Another person has been reviewing it in greater detail on the files and his reaction says it all, Riley LISTENS.

So onto the pictures,

BEFORE REPAIR

rjgvus.jpg

v8ft6t.jpg

dot4qx.jpg

THE NEW BOLT FOR COMPARISON
    This bolt has around 45 rounds on her or so as they test fired it etc.

wk8q9.jpg

2hg9uew.jpg

I can not wait to get her to the range but I will be way too busy this coming weekend, I have to work, but after that it is a go!

For those not following the 'other' thread.....here is some information on the rifle that I purchased.

MODEL: RAK-47-P (Black Polymer) - Riley Defense

Purchased here:

AK47 Rifle Riley Defense SALE

Now the best thing is the place I purchased it is oh so interested also as it would seem I am one of the first to have an issue with it. As I thought earlier it was a minor one and they fixed it, at no expense to me. (well other than the $30 fee from my FFL). I would not hesitate to purchase from Atlantic in the future, they seem to be on the ball and good all around folks with great prices. There are not too many places to get this AK I think.

American Made - Lets hope it will be successful :)

NOTE TO SELF, just do it direct to house next time as I did not realize they had to redo the paperwork etc. I still find that strange if it is the same gun. That is not Riley's fault at all, mine only.

Lesson learned.

Clay

Grandmaster
    Rating - 98.8%
    81   1   0
    Aug 28, 2008
    Vigo Co
    No ill taken. What got me the most was the attitude at that other place towards newbies.

stop going to the files, problem solved. The files has a great market place and some knowledgeable people but the vast majority ruin the site. the files is to the AK world what ar15.com is to the AR world.

theakforum is much better towards most people and have just as many if not more knowledge there, IMO.

edsinger

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Apr 14, 2009
    NE Indiana
    stop going to the files, problem solved. The files has a great market place and some knowledgeable people but the vast majority ruin the site. the files is to the AK world what ar15.com is to the AR world.

theakforum is much better towards most people and have just as many if not more knowledge there, IMO.

I might have to take your advice, I posted most likely my last post on their board. I leave on my terms not the fanboy mods that listen to the 'click'. Nonetheless, it is still funny to watch, they think I have a new name and are still posting. What idiots, one is even counting my posts! It's almost embarrassing really.

Edit: one even called me a snowflake! Wow, to those that know me that is a big laugh. Limbaugh is a liberal to me.

What bothers me more than the juvenile folks at the Files is the non reply from Century. Three direct emails to the VP of the company. I get it that they have had some very bad press over the years, most likely deserved I take it, but not a single reply. Maybe they just do not care but the email I got by accident stated there were possible foreign buyers for their firearms. Do not get excited, it was not a 'problem' country but a poor one. Maybe that is why, I just do not know.

So for now, I watch the people spooked about their CV39V2's and sell them thinking they are gonna blow up. There are many that do not out there. I absolutley love mine and I have put well near 750 rounds through her. Still that could explain the crickets from Century Arms.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom