• Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    Got my PSA AR-9 and LOVE it. SOOOOO much fun to shoot. But I discovered a problem at the range this weekend. The bolt catch wont engage as expected. (Yes, I know it wont hold open on the last round)

I tried using the bolt lock button, but it wouldnt quite engage the bolt. No matter how hard I pressed the bottom of the lever, it wouldnt engage. I could see it raise, but not enough to snag the bolt. I finally had to pull the charging handle, while sticking my fingernail under the top edge of the release button and pull it out away from the frame as far as it would go before the catch would go up enough to engage the bolt. Watching it try to engage, it appears that the catch is too short. When it does engage it BARELY catches the bolt; To the point that barely touching/brushing against the button releases the bolt.

Any ideas for a quick fix? I have a message in to PSA, but I REALLY dont want to have to go through the hassle of shipping it back. I'd gladly buy some parts and DIY rather than go through that hassle of finding the box, taking it to a FFL, etc, etc, etc.

Anyone have any experience with PSA in a case like this? Any chance they might work with me and just offer to send some new parts for me to fix?

And yes, I know this is a "cheap" entry level PCC so Im not mad. Not totally surprised there could be some QC issues. ESPECIALLY since I had to buy the upper and lower separately since they dont seem to sell complete. Kinda hard for them to do a function test when they couldn't mate them.

bocefus78

Master
    Rating - 100%
    39   0   0
    Apr 9, 2014
    Hamilton Co.
    Try an extended bolt catch? My factory one grabs but barely. When I built mine, I was told this may be an issue with my mag block.

Last edited:

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    Update:

I swapped lowers with one of my regular ARs. It locks back just fine with no extra effort. It appears the PSA catch is just a hair too short.

Guess I call them tomorrow since they havent responded to my email and ask for them to send a new catch.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    I have the Strike industries bolt catch on my Ar and it works great

Got my new catch and no change the bit that needs to engage the bolt just doesnt go up enough. I'm wondering if the geometry on the bolt catch pivot pin isnt off a bit. (too low, too far outboard, etc)

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    Is this a mag-block type setup, or is it a dedicated lower?
    Colt or Glock pattern?

No real reason for asking, just curious.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    Is this a mag-block type setup, or is it a dedicated lower?
    Colt or Glock pattern?

No real reason for asking, just curious.
    "matching" (purchased separately) PSA Upper and dedicated Glock fed lower.

Its 100% PSA, Glock fed PCC. I would have bought a complete rifle if I could have, but they only sell them in pieces/halves.

mammynun

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Oct 30, 2009
    New Albany
    I had a similar issue with an inexpensive lower. The hole for the bolt catch pin was machined too close to the centerline of the receiver; when compared to other receivers it was visually apparent. I solved the issue by filing the back side of the bolt catch to allow it to pivot enough to engage. I'm not sure if this would even apply to a 9mm lower, but it's something to think about...

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 29, 2016
    Bloomington
    Im doing a very similar thing CM, about two order the necessary psa parts to make an ar9 pistol that uses glock mags, however the website says they are out of stock on their lowers. Anyone know the usual wait time on restock? I have it set so that ill get an email but how long should i expect?

did you have to specify that you wanted the bolt hold open on last round option? I dont see it listed on PSA website id really like to have that feature as well.

bocefus78

Master
    Rating - 100%
    39   0   0
    Apr 9, 2014
    Hamilton Co.
    Im doing a very similar thing CM, about two order the necessary psa parts to make an ar9 pistol that uses glock mags, however the website says they are out of stock on their lowers. Anyone know the usual wait time on restock? I have it set so that ill get an email but how long should i expect?

did you have to specify that you wanted the bolt hold open on last round option? I dont see it listed on PSA website id really like to have that feature as well.

1. They usually come in stock pretty quick and sell out just as fast.

2. Glock pattern ar9's do not have last round bolt hold open. Colt pattern, however, does have lrbho.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    1. They usually come in stock pretty quick and sell out just as fast.

2. Glock pattern ar9's do not have last round bolt hold open. Colt pattern, however, does have lrbho.

Subscribe to the lowers and uppers you want and as soon as you get an email alert, go buy it.

CMMG I think does a bolt hold open as I've seen thier catch which has a VERY long tab to engage the follower.

nipprdog

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Jan 11, 2009
    Tippecanoe county
    Here it is CM;

DKK_5388w_zpstfosklnp.jpg

Again, sorry to hear of your troubles, since I was one who recommended the PSA.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    Just make sure that you pay close attention to the mag type.

If you want Glock fed, it will say Glock. If no mention its Colt. Personally I like how colt mags load (they make a speed loader that will load it up 100% in a single push of the stack) but I wanted Glock because I already had tons of mags for it.

Last edited:

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    Here it is CM;

DKK_5388w_zpstfosklnp.jpg

Again, sorry to hear of your troubles, since I was one who recommended the PSA.

No worries. It works just fine. Just that one single function has issues.

On a positive, I found a new kickass release lever that Im going to swap all mine out with.

And as soon as my SLR battery charges Ill take a good pic. I just cant get it to focus using my iphone. I dont see any beveling or rounding on your bolt face like I do mine.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    Here is mine. There is a definite rounding of the bottom edge of the bolt face.
    IMG_2679_zps4m9bdx6g.jpg

IMG_2680_zpsssdqu5mv.jpg

I cant get it to focus on the exact spot, but you can see how little engagement is on the bolt face. And that is pulling the paddle out as far as possible. If I just push the nub to engage, it touches the bolt as it goes by.
    IMG_2682_zpsdwl0fqxh.jpg.html

I cant even move the rifle now it is so sensitive. I effectively have no hold-open at all.

Attachments

• IMG_2682_zpsdwl0fqxh.jpg
      IMG_2682_zpsdwl0fqxh.jpg
      59.3 KB · Views: 8

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    Better pic of the engagement

IMG_2687_zpsjfvpt3eq.jpg

and this is how sensitive it is. I just give it a firm shake.
    [video]http://vid38.photobucket.com/albums/e129/TheCameraMonkey/Mobile%20Uploads/2017-05/IMG_3256_zpsvp2ppacq.mp4[/video]

nipprdog

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Jan 11, 2009
    Tippecanoe county
    Better pic of the engagement

IMG_2687_zpsjfvpt3eq.jpg

and this is how sensitive it is. I just give it a firm shake.
    [video]http://vid38.photobucket.com/albums/e129/TheCameraMonkey/Mobile%20Uploads/2017-05/IMG_3256_zpsvp2ppacq.mp4[/video]

Looks like part of the problem is the rounded edge of the bolt stop. Mine doesn't look like that. I'll try to get a pic of it up later today.

Top Bottom