• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • RH822-A

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 11, 2008
    Pleasant Lake, Steuben County
    Adding an M1 Garand to my collection has been on the list for several years, I finally did it a couple of weeks ago at the Ft. Wayne gun show. Its a Springfield and it shoots like a dream.
    FullSizeRender (1).jpg FullSizeRender.jpg

Attachments

• FullSizeRender (1).jpg
      FullSizeRender (1).jpg
      234.9 KB · Views: 5
    • FullSizeRender.jpg
      FullSizeRender.jpg
      256.1 KB · Views: 4

LarryC

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 18, 2012
    Frankfort
    Congratulation! The Garand's reputation is well deserved. I have one that I traded for that is has a few scars, and missing some bluing and a second one in restored condition I purchased at Port Clinton CMP. Son purchased one at CMP at the same time. Both CMP rifles are from the Korea era. All of out Garands shoot great! One thing you probably already know is that you don't want to shoot current manufactures 30-06 rounds (unless specified for the Garand). The rounds need to be loaded to Garand specs. Some of the new rounds have to fast a powder used and can bend the op rod due to too much pressure at the gas port. I purchased an adjustable Gas plug to use on my first Garand so I can use all commercial ammo. I know Hornady and one other manufacture does make "Garand" ammo.

senork

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 20, 2008
    NW Indiana
    Nice looking M1. You will probably read a lot about shooting proper loads through it regarding the op rod. There are a few Garand loads specfic to the M1. If you decide to reload your own ammo, you may want to do some research for a Schuster adjustable gas plug or one from garandgear.com.These sort of offer peace of mind that your loads, commerical or reloads wont damage the gun. Enjoy that gun!

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 7, 2011
    here is one tip.
    when you are working on it and you pull the bolt back and let it forward.
    You do not want the keep the hammer locked down. You do not want to dry fire it ever.
    Pull the trigger guard out, like for Disassembly.
    when it is all the way forward, Pull the trigger as you slowly let the trigger guard down back into place.
    Now you safely let the hammer down against the bolt and firing pin.

another tip. when you use your right hand to pull the slide back and lock to load a clip.
    KEEP the palm of you hand tight against the stock. A grand thumb is not prize for first place shooting. it is for shouting stupid, stupid, stupid and other words.
    when you snap your hand back to release the bolt. your hand will roll your thumb up and out of the way. happy shooting.

Congratulation you have a great rifle and will enjoy it for a long time.

TheJoker

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 9, 2010
    Shelby County
    "The greatest battle implement ever devised." Congratulations! That's some nice wood on that battle rifle!

letter.png

Hkindiana

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Sep 19, 2010
    Southern Hills
    Nice looking M1. You will probably read a lot about shooting proper loads through it regarding the op rod. There are a few Garand loads specfic to the M1. If you decide to reload your own ammo, you may want to do some research for a Schuster adjustable gas plug or one from garandgear.com.These sort of offer peace of mind that your loads, commerical or reloads wont damage the gun. Enjoy that gun!

i have shot 100's of different commercial and military surplus rounds through my Garands, and NEVER had had ANY problems. It is a well built rifle that is NOT ammo sensitive or specific.

Hkindiana

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Sep 19, 2010
    Southern Hills

RH822-A

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 11, 2008
    I want to thank you all for the advice and tips, but I guess I should have mentioned that this isn't my first M1. I got really stupid about 20 years ago and sold my first one, it just took me this long to finally wise up and replace it. Happy shooting!

White Squirrel

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 3, 2016
    Evansville
    I want to thank you all for the advice and tips, but I guess I should have mentioned that this isn't my first M1. I got really stupid about 20 years ago and sold my first one, it just took me this long to finally wise up and replace it. Happy shooting!

Glad you were able to finally correct your mistake. That is a really good looking rifle. Makes me a little green with envy. Congratulations.

rhslover

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 6, 2012
    Dry firing is in no way harmful to an M1, in service these were dry fired thousands of times. Also you really shouldn't pull the trigger assembly out more than absolutely necessary because this will wear the stock and lead to a loose lock up between the metal and wood which will effect accuracy. As far as commercial loads, a lot has been written about why not to, but I've shot plenty and have never seen nor heard of an op rod failure.

RH822-A

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 11, 2008
    My first M1 was chambered in 7.62 Nato (.308 Win) and it didn't matter what type ammunition I put through it. But over the years I have heard that using commercial 30-06 ammo in a .30 M2 mil spec M1 Garand "CAN" cause damage to the operating rod, but I've also heard just the opposite. So, to be on the safe side I installed a ported gas plug, I figure for $40 it's a cheap insurance policy.

STEEL CORE

Master
    Rating - 100%
    92   0   0
    Oct 29, 2008
    Fishers
    My father gave me an OCTOBER 1941 Springfield M-1 garand, I will pass it on and remember that it was the very first rifle I ever shot at age 10 and that it knocked me off the picnic table bench I was sitting on.

55fairlane

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 15, 2016
    New Haven
    My first M1 was chambered in 7.62 Nato (.308 Win) and it didn't matter what type ammunition I put through it. But over the years I have heard that using commercial 30-06 ammo in a .30 M2 mil spec M1 Garand "CAN" cause damage to the operating rod, but I've also heard just the opposite. So, to be on the safe side I installed a ported gas plug, I figure for $40 it's a cheap insurance policy.

The 7.62 rifles are super collectable these days...........

And congrads on your addition to the family collection

Aaron

Top Bottom