• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • LarryC

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 18, 2012
    Frankfort
    Son and I have been wanting a 50BMG for several years ~ prices kinda kept us from purchasing. I finally ordered one from a Michigan dealer on Gunbroker.
    I have a new ArmaLite A50A1B ordered. Still have to order the Optics, bi-pod etc.. It should be delivered to my local FFL next week. We do have to find some places to shoot the gun at the distance it is meant for, but can fire it at 50 yard or so at my son's house. He has a 15' ~ 20' high hill we can shoot into. The Conservation club we belong to does allow 50's on special occasions, but they seem to be rare. May have to take a trip to Attebury, if anyone has any suggestions for other places that allow shooting 50's at reasonable ranges I would sure appreciate the information.

Last edited:

halfmileharry

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Dec 2, 2010
    South of Indy
    Son and I have been wanting a 50BMG for several years ~ prices kinda kept us from purchasing. I finally ordered one from a Michigan dealer on Gunbroker.
    I have a new ArmaLite A50A1B ordered. Still have to order the Optics, bi-pod etc.. It should be delivered to my local FFL next week. We do have to find some places to shoot the gun at the distance it is meant for, but can fire it at 50 yard or so at my son's house. He has a 15 ~ 20 hill we can shoot into. The Conservation club we belong to does allow 50's on special occasions, but they seem to be rare. May have to take a trip to Attebury, if anyone has any suggestions for other places that allow shooting 50's at reasonable ranges I would sure appreciate the information.

I love the BMG round. Nice choice of rifle there.
    Places to shoot?
    Patience.... N. Korea, Iran, ......

LarryC

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 18, 2012
    Frankfort
    Will do, talked to my local FFL, said he had information that the sending FFL had the Money order and all my FFL's information and was sending the gun out today. AAoptics is out of the office today, so will call tomorrow about buying a Vortex scope and possibly the mount. Son is looking for a Bi-pod,

42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in
    Will do, talked to my local FFL, said he had information that the sending FFL had the Money order and all my FFL's information and was sending the gun out today. AAoptics is out of the office today, so will call tomorrow about buying a Vortex scope and possibly the mount. Son is looking for a Bi-pod,

Im back in the office now. I will be here for a hour or so wading through emails if you would like to call tonight 765-580-0986. Otherwise Im beat, and will be happy to talk to you tomorrow.

Thor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 18, 2014
    Could be anywhere
    Congrats! Should be a fun weapon to practice with at the range...and a good one to have just in case. Stocking up on ammo will be a spendy proposition though. Have fun!

LarryC

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 18, 2012
    Frankfort
    Im back in the office now. I will be here for a hour or so wading through emails if you would like to call tonight 765-580-0986. Otherwise Im beat, and will be happy to talk to you tomorrow.

Thanks for the great service, as you know I did purchase the refurbished-Viper 6-24X50 FFP scope. I really wanted to use the Vortex scope mount also, but it appears there are too many others that also wanted one as there are none in stock ANYWHERE. So per Alan's recommendation I purchased Badger's maximum ring mounts made for the 50BMG rifle.

x72821

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 2, 2017
    Bloomington
    Not sure if you have fired one before, but if you are spotting for the shooter, they are very very loud with a muzzle break. I recommend when you use it, wearing both ear plugs and ear muff protection.

m82mike

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Nov 28, 2009
    Milton,In.
    Get ready to have some real fun. Yes, they're expensive, but what isn't anymore? Check out Fifty Caliber shooters Association website for information and handy tips. Review the archives and check out what works in the way of scopes and mounts and accessories. Lots of experience available there. :ingo:

LarryC

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 18, 2012
    Frankfort
    Get ready to have some real fun. Yes, they're expensive, but what isn't anymore? Check out Fifty Caliber shooters Association website for information and handy tips. Review the archives and check out what works in the way of scopes and mounts and accessories. Lots of experience available there. :ingo:

I have looked at several websites, will look at the Fifty Cal shooters site. Already have purchased almost all the accessories I think I will need. Purchased the Vortex-Viper 6-24X50 FFP scope and the Badger Maximum scope mounts (thought they were a little pricey but wanted good mounts, and no Vortex available). The rifle came with the Bi-pod we were going to purchase, although the Gunbroker ad didn't mention that, surprised me but saved about $250. Bought a Wheeler scope mounting kit, and Dewey cleaning rod and accessories (I have probably 30 gun cleaning kits, but nothing long or strong enough for that barrel). Only things left to purchase are the stock mono-pod and probably will add a carrying handle. Darn thing is heavy enough it should be mounted on a T&E gun mount with wheels!

LarryC

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 18, 2012
    Frankfort
    Congrats! Should be a fun weapon to practice with at the range...and a good one to have just in case. Stocking up on ammo will be a spendy proposition though. Have fun!

Yeah, knew about the ammo prices before I purchased the rifle, actually looked into a .338 Lapau Magnum, decided the 500 ammo was pretty cheap after that.

Son and I picked up 20 round at the Kokomo Gun Show for $75 (commercial). I ordered 100 rounds of linked ammo today, mixed ammo ~ Four M33 Ball(anti personnel/ soft target) and then one M17 tracer round for a total cost of $250. This is new Federal / Lake city rounds, don't know what we will do with the tracer, probably pull the bullets and reload with Ball bullets. Need to find more info as to how much excess barrel wear is caused by tracer rounds before deciding. Think I may call ArmaLite this coming week and ask some questions.

MindfulMan

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Feb 14, 2016
    Indiana
    Larry --- I hope that I'm not cutting my own throat, and they run-out because you buy it all :):.... but, you might want to check out Ammunition Depot.

They still have (10) round boxes of M33 American Eagle on sale for 28.97 a box. The last time I made a purchase of it, the headstamp showed 2016 manufacture.

Link: https://www.ammunitiondepot.com/306-50-bmg

LarryC

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 18, 2012
    Frankfort
    Larry --- I hope that I'm not cutting my own throat, and they run-out because you buy it all :):.... but, you might want to check out Ammunition Depot.

They still have (10) round boxes of M33 American Eagle on sale for 28.97 a box. The last time I made a purchase of it, the headstamp showed 2016 manufacture.

Link: https://www.ammunitiondepot.com/306-50-bmg

OOPS, already ordered the Linked belt ammo @ $250 / hundred from www.TargetSportsUSA.com, shipping included. Didn't see what your store charges for shipping so still probably not a whole lot of difference in total cost.

MindfulMan

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Feb 14, 2016
    Indiana
    OOPS, already ordered the Linked belt ammo @ $250 / hundred from www.TargetSportsUSA.com, shipping included. Didn't see what your store charges for shipping so still probably not a whole lot of difference in total cost.

You're correct ..... probably not a whole lot of difference. I was just trying to give you another option for the future. Sometimes, Ammunition Depot has free shipping offers, and I've found them to be a reliable source. Happy shooting ! :)

Top Bottom