• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • themurseman

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Nov 11, 2012
    Greenfield
    I've shot all types of guns ever since I was a boy. I have even hunted game. My experience with shotguns is limited to using them with slugs. I have recently been introduced to skeet and love it. Any recommendations for a good gun to start with?

thunderchicken

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 26, 2010
    Indianapolis
    Skeet requires the shooting of 2 targets traveling in opposite directions. Since you could also use the gun for trap, sporting clays etc here would be my criteria.
    Proper fit, this is super important have someone make sure it fits. It has to point and swing easily.
    Has to have a quick follow up shot- O/U or semi auto with 26-28" barrel are best IMO. Make sure it has interchangeable chokes. I personally prefer 12g but 20g will do fine too. A 12 does have a bit more shot and as result a bit bigger pattern.
    Brand is personal preference as most will work just depends what you want and how much you are willing to pay

thunderchicken

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 26, 2010
    Indianapolis
    Well, I haven't bought a shotgun in several years, so I would have to do some research. However, I would bet you could find a decent Browning, Benelli, Beretta o/u or semi auto in the $800 area. Some other brands to look at that maybe a little less pricey would be Winchester, Ruger, Mossberg, Stoeger. If you are anywhere near indy I would recommend going to see the guys at The Indiana Gun Club by Geist reservoir. They are well versed in helping new shooters find guns and can make sure it has the proper fit.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    If you arent planning on burning 100-200 rounds per weekend all summer, Check out a Stoeger Condor O/U. They arent pretty, but they work well. I love mine. I found it at Gander for $400. Its not pretty with lots of scrollwork and high quality furniture, but it is solidly built and shoots well. You can get higher quality versions of the Condor with better furniture for a little more. My only regret is I didnt invest in the matched 12/20 set. It would be nice to be able to swap calibers.

I shoot maybe 2-300 rounds a year and it has worked well for me.

Ive also heard good things about the Mossberg Silver Reserves as well for just a bit more.

Or find a used 1100 for double that for a good all around auto. I dont know of anyone who regretted the investment in an 1100, especially a used one.

Twangbanger

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Oct 9, 2010
    I recommend you get a Beretta or Remington auto, preferably a used one if you can buy one right, then shoot that for a season until you figure out whether you like skeet well enough to reload for it. Test-shoot both 12 and 20 gauge versions at Indiana Gun Club if you're nearby, to see what you like (they will let you try used ones). They will both hit skeet targets equally well, but the 20 gauge gun will be substantially lighter. It's a matter of personal preference. The 12 gauge gun swings more smoothly and follows through better, but I find the 20 quicker to change directions when shooting doubles. Whatever works better for you. Again, there is no difference in target-breaking, since you're not shooting anything much longer than 22~24 yards. But most beginners do better with a heavier, smoother swinging gun with more momentum and follow-through.

If you want to reload, you're going to want an Over Under eventually. But not any of the kinds mentioned here, so wait a year before making that decision. If you buy a quality used auto, it will hold its value and be able to be traded on an O/U if you go that way. If you buy a cheapie Turkish O/U, you're stuck with it in terms of resale value, and it is not going to hold up like a good quality gun.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    Clarification, please: 200 - 300 rounds of ammunition, or 200 - 300 rounds of skeet (at 25 rounds of ammunition each)?

boxes of shells, not rounds of skeet. :faint:

I meant to say if you are a casual shooter Stoegers are fine. If you are serious (every weekend) look elsewhere.

My opinion is you dont need a $3,000+ Beretta O/U with gold inlay for a casual hobby. Heck, even a Mossberg 500 is adequate. I spent several years breaking clays with one of those and I did just fine. But dont rely heavily on my opinion. I'm simply an armchair quarterback.

singlesix

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 13, 2008
    Indianapolis, In
    OP, if $800 is your upper limit I'd look for a Remington 1100 or Beretta Semi-autos. Condors are hit and miss. One person shooting Trap with it had to stop after approx. 15 shots because the receiver would lockup due to heating. Once it cooled no problem breaking open the action. This happened repeatedly. I shoot Skeet with an O/U, pump, and Semi-auto, it's about practicing with the gun. Good luck.

snapping turtle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 5, 2009
    Madison county
    This my sound a little strange but of late it seems used over unders are selling rather cheap to what they were running in the last 20 years. So as recommended go to the Indiana gun club and shoot some of the older models of over unders that they rent. Find a couple that work well for you then research around on the used market for a deal. A good old R.E.M. Pump or auto will of course get you by for the beginning as you might just have one in the safe already.

I have seem midas grade silver grade and other older high end shotguns selling for less than half of the blue book value of the firearm in the last five years. Sure you are going to spend more than a very low end over under but the value in the future is higher. It seems many of the older shooters who have done clay ect. In the past have been passing away and when the kids get the guns they are will to trade them out for ar's or ak's or poly pistols. This seems to have been happening only in the last five to seven years. Maybe the newer generation does not see the value in a two shot gun for a sport they don't do.

Sure re you are going to have to do research on what is going to be a good deal for you. You are going to have to find the correct gun and have the cash or trade in hand to make the right deal and the right deal must land in your lap. Just saying that the blue book is not exactly what the selling price has been on these items. Then again these were higher end guns when made so cash outlay is going to be higher than the 800 you are looking at. Bump it up some and find the right deal and maybe a blue book 3500-4000 value gun can be picked up for 1300-1500 or more but when you look at blue book I the future it will still be 3500-4000.

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    I would suggest going down to the local skeet club where you will be shooting. Most of the guys will be happy to talk shotguns with you after the matches. Maybe even let you shoot their guns. You really want to talk to people that actually shoot skeet.

KJQ6945

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 5, 2012
    Texas
    I would suggest going down to the local skeet club where you will be shooting. Most of the guys will be happy to talk shotguns with you after the matches. Maybe even let you shoot their guns. You really want to talk to people that actually shoot skeet.
    This!

And, those old guys are where I picked up the good deals on the used guns. Get to know the people, and the used guns will find you.

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    Remember the old adage; you get what you pay for. A lower priced shotgun may at first blush look, feel and shoot like their more expensive brethren. But shooting shotgun sports is not like hunting.

When I tried Trap a few years ago, I got hooked immediately. I was shooting 4-6 rounds (100-150 shells) per week and this is what I would consider casual shooting. The serious guys who have more time (and money) would shoot much more than that.

I had a pristine Beretta AL-2 Magnum that I used since it was the only shotgun I had. I took that 30 year old shotgun which basically looked like a NIB shotgun to slightly battered and worn that first season of shooting.

I know that guns are made to be used, but if I could roll back the clock I would have bought a dedicated O/U right at the start.

Oh and the rest of the story is I did by an O/U in the beginning but it was more suited for Skeet, than trap so I sold it. It was a CZ. Nice shotgun. Would last a hunter the rest of his life. But after 20 or so rounds of Trap it was already getting a little loose. I would not expect a lower priced shotgun to have the robustness to endure years of sport shotgunning.

Just my opinion based on my experiences.

If I could find a good Trap group near me, I'd be looking for a nice O/U.

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    For long term, take your budget to about $2000 and get a good used Beretta or Browning O/U. At your price point, I do not think you will find a good O/U or a good 391 Beretta, but you will certainly be able to find a good 1100 Remington. Unless you just want nostalgia, a pump for skeet will cost you a lot of points on all the doubles presentations. The old Winchester model 12's did not have disconnector triggers and were a little faster on the second pump, but they are hard to find a good price.

Mark-DuCo

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 1, 2012
    Ferdinand
    I use an ATI Cavalry O/U for all my clay busting needs. It is light, very well balanced, and swings like a dream. The only thing I have bought for it was a set of extended length chokes to make it easier to switch on the sporting clays courses. I got it at rural king on a black Friday deal, and it has performed flawlessly over about 800 rounds through it. I recommend getting an extractor model instead of an ejector if it is a dedicated clay pigeon gun, so you don't have to bend over and pick up shells all the time.

This is my gun
    https://www.rkguns.com/ati-cavalry-sx-12-gauge-over-under-shotgun-atigkof12sv.html

Last edited:

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    Another vote for a used 1100 or similar. It's a good entry gun into the sport and I'd hate to spend a lot of money until you figure out what you really what. If you get it used, then you should be able to sell it for the about the same price when you're ready to upgrade.

You might also be able to find a used skeet barrel, too.

Otherwise, I'd say a Mossberg Silver Reserve II if you want O/U right now.

Top Bottom