• ...and so much more!
  • Patriot3

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 11, 2012
    Kokomo
    Hello,

I love my CVA Apex rifle. I have three barrels for it, 223, 308, 50 cal, and will continue to pour money into it. I also own many CVA, Thompson Center, and blackpowder firearms. Now that being said, my question is if there is still a place for single shot firearms in our world today? I would hope so, but would like to hear anyone's thoughts. I figured since they can be shorter, break down into a small package, and have an interchangeable system for calibers that they would stay relevant.

LtScott14

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   1   0
    Apr 13, 2008
    Porter County
    I own a H&R Survivor 12ga Shotgun. Single, breakdown. Mine has a removeable buttstock cover, and holds a mini survival kit(altoids box) and a small multitool, lighter, small buck knife, 1/2 of a bandana(camo of course). I added an elastic shell carrier(6 rds), sling, and camo wrapped the stock and barrel with camo tape/material to remove the shine of Nickel finished barrel. I also added a Hi-Viz fiber optic sight over camo barrel for easy taget sighting. I cut short any excess sling nylon strap and Gorilla taped any metal to be "stealth quiet" on the move during deer season. It works and is an easy pack survival S/G for foraging. Yes Singles work!

AmmoManAaron

Master
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Feb 20, 2015
    I-get-around
    I figured since they can be shorter, break down into a small package, and have an interchangeable system for calibers that they would stay relevant.

All valid points in favor of a modern single shot, but the AR platform has many of the same advantages, although caliber selection isn't quite as broad. For me, I still buy and use single shots simply because they are fun. Personally, I like rolling block rifles and Lone Eagle pistols. Reproductions of rolling blocks, Sharps, and Winchester 1885s are all still made well over a century later because people just like them, not because they are the be-all end-all. Don't worry about relevance or try and rationalize your choice, if you like having or using them, that is reason enough :)

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    One of my favorite rifles to shoot is an old Winchester 1885 "Low-Wall" that has been re-barreled for .22lr long before I saw it.
    It wears a custom match style stock, and a Winchester model 52 barrel.
    It's a falling block action that is just a joy to shoot.

1980Harley

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 17, 2014
    West Virginia
    I also like the single shots in both rifles (TC, Traditions and CVA) and pistols (Contender) for many of the same reasons as above. These are my preferences and not those of my hunting buddies who like the heavier (and bulkier) bolts, semi's and pumps with as many available shots as they are legally allowed.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 29, 2016
    Bloomington
    I often contemplate the benefits of a bolt action vs the AR. Ive considered many times using the mossberg mvp patrol as a survival rifle. But i just dont see it being able to do anything that an AR cant. And with parts being way more available for the AR i had to go that way.
    heck parts are so available for the AR that if the world ends you might accidentally stroll through a basement with an armorers wrench and all the parts to build a brand new rifle.
    the only up the bolt action has is ammo conservasion and MAYBE accuracy beyond 300 yards.
    i think they are cool and i will continue to enjoy them but yes, I believe they are out dated.

snapping turtle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 5, 2009
    Madison county
    Some of my favorites and uses:
    browning b78 25-06 use nothing really (bought to go pronhorn hunting fell thru)
    Springfield 20 gauge single shot youth use teaching shotguning to younglings
    Springfield model 16 22 LR use all around garden and trapping gun 22 shorts mainly
    thompson contender pistol rifle 22-4570 use was deer hunter in 35 R.E.M. Now does mainly varmint work
    Kimber 82g dedicated open sight bench rest rifle.
    Savage 24 22mag 20 gauge use early squirrel hunting (two single shots really)

that b78 is super sweet. The Springfield model 16 has had lots of rounds shot in it's 80 years. The contender was the third pistol I ever owned. The single youth 20 has started a lot of kids shooting.

So so yes to each his own but I like those single shots.

AmmoManAaron

Master
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Feb 20, 2015
    I-get-around
    I challenge anybody to shoot more than one shot at a time. No matter the reloading mechanism that feeds fresh rounds into the chamber.

You've obviously never heard of the volley gun, of which there are a few variations floating around in collecting circles. There are even reproductions available of some types :)

Pieper rolling block:
    AN UNUSUAL .22 (RIM-FIRE) SEVEN-SHOT ROLLING-BLOCK VOLLEY RIFLE BY H. PIEPER (LIGE), NO. 10 | Christie's
    Bonhams : *Scarce Belgian Rolling Block Volley Gun by H. Pieper
    https://gundigest.com/more/classic-guns/gundigest-9-24-09-pieper
    PIEPER SEVEN-SHOT ROLLING BLOCK VOLLEY GUN.

Nock volley gun:
    Original British Royal Navy Nock Volley Gun Circa 1785 ima-usa.com

Billinghurst-Requa:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CV1hxChetQI
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VTfJF3YBMI4

Lots of fun if you have the money to buy one or the skills to build your own reproduction. :biggun:

NKBJ

at the ark
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 21, 2010
    Cast is my first love. So, yes, single shots will always take first place in my enjoyment of shooting.
    I even like the ones that use cartridge cases.

NKBJ

at the ark
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 21, 2010
    I challenge anybody to shoot more than one shot at a time. No matter the reloading mechanism that feeds fresh rounds into the chamber.

I might accept the challenge but chain fires in a 1851 Colt sorta bug me.
    Just kidding. I know what you mean.
    My old "deer rifle" is a cast bullet wildcat on a Ruger single shot. Now I'm working up loads for a .52 bore Renegade with standard fifty cal rifle molds patched up to .519".

So much lead, so little time!

Bigtanker

Cuddles
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Aug 21, 2012
    Osceola
    I recently recieved a basic Rossi in .243 Win. I really have no "official" use for it but it is fun.

I think the main draw to single shots is an entry level rifle. They tend to teach you the basics and knowing you only have one shot drive home the importance of making it count. Also they are usually inexpensive compared to a bolt or semi-auto. The shotguns are really cheap.

They still have a place in todays world.

bstewrat3

Master
    Rating - 100%
    142   0   0
    Apr 26, 2009
    Beech Grove
    My single shots are becoming much more interesting to me than any of the other types in my collection. For a simple mechanism they are more versatile for different loads than most other guns because feeding is not an issue. My T/C's are as accurate as anything else I own and being a handloader I never have to worry about where my brass was launched to.

oldpink

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2009
    Farmland
    A single shot encourages making that first shot count, and such guns as the T/C Contender and Encore are very versatile with the switch barrel function built in.
    For good looks, it's tough to beat a Winchester 1885 or Ruger No. 1, too, even though neither has switch barrel capability.

BigMatt

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Sep 22, 2009
    I like to buy them cheap (<$50) and hold onto them. They will be great in a survival scenario where all your family and friends need a shotgun and you don't want to give them a prized Model 12.

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    One of my favorite rifles to shoot is an old Winchester 1885 "Low-Wall" that has been re-barreled for .22lr long before I saw it.
    It wears a custom match style stock, and a Winchester model 52 barrel.
    It's a falling block action that is just a joy to shoot.

That is one cool rifle, Unique is written all over it, and accurate makes it truly interesting.

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    I have a couple single shot shotguns, but one I have never shot, another one it has been 35+ years since it was shot.

NKBJ

at the ark
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 21, 2010
    Gonna have a single shot .41 mag... some day.
    Meanwhile will just use the .45 Colt.
    45 83 2400.JPG 45-380 test load.JPG

NKBJ

at the ark
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 21, 2010
    That's a smashing 380 grain bore rider design to preserve lots of slow burning powder space.
    And homemade lube with raw beeswax, lanolin, crayola, funky smelling hair pomade and eleven different herbs and spices.
    OK, just kidding about the flavorings.

Top Bottom