• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Sonney

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 24, 2012
    I just bought a Ruger Precision rifle in the 308 cal. I just tried 2 different Monarch 3 50 mm 6x24 scopes on this rifle. We could get it to zero but it took up all are most of the down elevation and right wind. I called Ruger and told them the serial numbers and they looked the rifle up and told me it passed they quality control test. What could be happening with these scopes or this rifle. Could it be that this rifle doesn't like a 50mm scope with a 1 inch tube. It not only has me baffled but it has the gun shop that sold me the scope. It was zeroed at 100 yrds.

Sonney

42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in
    You bought a scope with 25-30 moa internal travel for a ruger precision rifle???

Im guessing the gunshop trying to sell optics told you that was a good idea. Keep in mind going to a gun shop for optics advice is like going to your local veterinary clinc because your having stomach pains.

There really is nothing to be baffled about. You cant buy high zoom 1 inch tube scopes and expect them to work on that type gun.

warthog

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Feb 12, 2013
    Vigo County
    Alan has always given me great advice on optics. He will tell you to buy other than Vortex or Vortex according to what you are trying to do with your rifle.

Call him and see what he says you should do as I also agree, gun shops have no idea about quality optics for a quality rifle. They just want to see what they have on hand to make room for whatever they have coming next.

natdscott

User Unknown
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 20, 2015
    Sonney, where are you located?

If the gun shop won't take the Nikons back, and/or you just want to stick with them, the windage can probably be solved. I do these things.

That being said, using most of the negative adjustment on the scope of a "long range" .308 to get it zeroed at 100 yards is a GOOD THING.

-Nate

ol' Huff

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 8, 2012
    You bought a scope with 25-30 moa internal travel for a ruger precision rifle???

Im guessing the gunshop trying to sell optics told you that was a good idea. Keep in mind going to a gun shop for optics advice is like going to your local veterinary clinc because your having stomach pains.

There really is nothing to be baffled about. You cant buy high zoom 1 inch tube scopes and expect them to work on that type gun.

Some might dismiss this as mere criticism but I think it's the most important post I've read this week on three or four different levels.

42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in
    Some might dismiss this as mere criticism but I think it's the most important post I've read this week on three or four different levels.

I dont try to criticize, and I try not to be blunt (yes I typically fail), but its in my nature:):

Keep in mind, this is coming from a guy who get a minimum of 10 "The guy at my local guy shop (or facebook) says x" calls per day.

Top Bottom