• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Clarity

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 1, 2012
    I've read the arguments about piston vs direct impingement rifles. Most say that DI rifles are more accurate, and that "if it ain't broke, don't fix it." They used to claim DI rifles were less expensive, although I'm not sure that holds water for the brands that most want. Piston proponents will say they are cleaner to run, and cooler. For my money, owning both, I usually reach for the piston guns, because I'm usually within 150 yards, and I like easy clean-up. I find that piston guns are easily "minute of bad guy" accurate.

But I'm interested in hearing your arguments pro and con. What say you?

M67

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 15, 2011
    Southernish Indiana
    DI guns are more standard and easier to find less proprietarty parts.

Pistons do run cooler and cleaner but most baby the hell out of their guns and they're cleaned within 100 rounds anyway so big deal

I have DI guns and have had pistons (still have one). I liked the Gen 4 POFs so I went with them cause styling and feel, not cause I had to have a piston.

Throw a can on them they all get dirtier than hell anyway

Accuracy depends on the gun and the shooter the most. Some guns are picky or don't shoot with a damn but for the most part and AR will be accurate or accurate for most people's standards. For 150 yards on it and a plinker, do you want to shoot .224" groups or would 1" be just as acceptable?

Just get both....or whichever you like more

sheepdog697

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Sep 2, 2015
    Cedar Lake
    If i was setting up a suppressor host in the old days(5 years ago) i would say hands down go with piston. However, today you can buy gas regulating bots and gas blocks for direct impingement. I guess if you dont like cleaning guns, the piston gun would be the way to go. I personally have always shot DI and that is what i will probably stick with.
    This is my current DI collection.
    First gun:
    11.5" complete BCM "pistol"
    Second gun:
    DDm4v5lw
    vortex strike eagle 1-6
    adm qd mount
    geissele 3g trigger
    third gun:
    Wife's .22 (so much fun to shoot)
    IMG_2957.jpg IMG_2958.jpg IMG_2959.jpg

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    I don't really have an argument. We tested a LWRC years ago and it performed as advertised, clean and cool and accuracy was perfectly acceptable. If I were using a rifle in an environment where the piston were to offer an increased likelihood of performing I might consider one. Here at home I don't see the increased number of parts and lack of readily available and standardized parts being worth changing over to a piston setup. I beat the crap out of my DI rifles and have never had any issues so I just stick to what I find simple.

That said, there are definitely reliable and well built piston guns out there and people are free to spend their money on what they like. If dealing with quality rifles its all personal preference, there is no wrong answer.

Vigilant

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Jul 12, 2008
    Plainfield
    I don't really have an argument. We tested a LWRC years ago and it performed as advertised, clean and cool and accuracy was perfectly acceptable. If I were using a rifle in an environment where the piston were to offer an increased likelihood of performing I might consider one. Here at home I don't see the increased number of parts and lack of readily available and standardized parts being worth changing over to a piston setup. I beat the crap out of my DI rifles and have never had any issues so I just stick to what I find simple.

That said, there are definitely reliable and well built piston guns out there and people are free to spend their money on what they like. If dealing with quality rifles its all personal preference, there is no wrong answer.
    Well said! Now if a real HK416 were to be for sale, I would definitely buy!

LarryC

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 18, 2012
    Frankfort
    Don't have a piston driven AR, have a DI AR15 and LR-308, both work perfectly although do get quite dirty quickly. I do have a number of piston driven firearms, SKS's, AK, SVD-40, couple of Gerand's and a M1 Carbine. They also work perfectly and as is expected do stay much cleaner. If the price were the same for AR DI and Piston designs, I probably would have went with the piston driven, but for my use I can't see the price difference being worth it.

venenoindy

Master
    Rating - 100%
    70   0   0
    Jul 14, 2009
    Noblesville
    Like others already mentioned for me the availability of standard parts for the DI can't be beaten, if you loose a part or screw something up on your piston system you have to wait for parts (if they are available). At the end of the day both are reliable just it is down to personal preference.

Vigilant

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Jul 12, 2008
    Plainfield
    Still a fan of DI guns, everyone keeps harping on how "dirty" they get as opposed to a piston gun? I posit, a properly built,(or bought), DI gun will do as much, or more than ANY piston rifle? Plus, as stated, I can have parts three, four, or five deep, if needed with NO fuss?

TheJoker

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 9, 2010
    Shelby County
    I'm a piston guy myself!

CMPHRA1955DGRStock-00RightSide_zpssosej2ze.jpg

Mark 1911

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jun 6, 2012
    Schererville, IN
    When I was in the market and trying to decide on piston v DI, I ultimately decided on DI. I have two AR-15s and an AR-10, all three DI. The factor that made up my mind was the simplicity of DI compared to piston, as Phylodog pointed out above. All three of mine have proven very reliable. No regrets.

bcd007

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2010
    I looked at and fired both piston and DI guns, and went piston just to be different. I do enjoy making fun of my friends with DI guns (what's a 'carbon scraper' used for?). Both work, one is usually cheaper. Like almost everything else in the gun world, it comes down to personal choice.

Top Bottom