• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jd1794h

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 28, 2017
    NWI
    I was just wanting to gather some opinions on the uses of 14" barrel non-NFA shotguns that are gaining popularity. It started with the Asylumn Gatekeeper, then Mossberg with the 590 Shockwave, and now Remington is making the Tac 14. All of these are pump action shotguns with 14" barrel. Obviously, I think these are awesome looking guns :cool: but do you all think these are useful for home defense or is it too much for a home defense situation? I mean 12 gauges are loud (really loud in a house) and their recoil is considerable. If you don't find it useful for home defense, what other situations do you think they might be useful for?

sloughfoot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Apr 17, 2008
    Huntertown, IN
    IMO the 12 gauge is the perfect HD firearm. It is much less loud than any rifle and all of the Magnum handguns.

I have no experience with the 14" non-nfa shotguns however. I am reluctant to try one for real because I am dubious that the configuration is conducive to getting hits on target. I have butt stocked 12 gauge shotguns that I know I can get hits with.

lonehoosier

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    May 3, 2011
    NWI
    I was just wanting to gather some opinions on the uses of 14" barrel non-NFA shotguns that are gaining popularity. It started with the Asylumn Gatekeeper, then Mossberg with the 590 Shockwave, and now Remington is making the Tac 14. All of these are pump action shotguns with 14" barrel. Obviously, I think these are awesome looking guns :cool: but do you all think these are useful for home defense or is it too much for a home defense situation? I mean 12 gauges are loud (really loud in a house) and their recoil is considerable. If you don't find it useful for home defense, what other situations do you think they might be useful for?
    Here's a good thread on HD shotguns. It goes into why those types of shotguns are not great for HD.

https://www.indianagunowners.com/forums/long-guns/432802-hd-shotguns.html

jd1794h

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 28, 2017
    NWI
    Thanks for the info guys. I guess it's just really a trade off. I mean you have a better chance of hitting with a shotgun but you run the risk of hearing damage. With a non-magnum handgun cartridge (say 9 mm for example) you have reduced the risk of hearing loss but hitting the target has become a lot harder.

indiucky

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    If you don't find it useful for home defense, what other situations do you think they might be useful for?

Wearing black leather clothes, Ray Ban sunglasses, riding a Harley with it slung over your shoulder and having someone take a picture of you doing some sort of hand sign...Other than that nothing I can think of...

602px-T3-870-3.jpg

It's the Garth Brooks of shotguns...Neither country nor rock and roll...Just sort of there....

IMHO of course....If they made them in a 20 gauge I may get one and I am saving for one of these which are useless as heck but look so cool...

wm_10008928.jpg

Last edited:

Tactically Fat

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Oct 8, 2014
    Indiana
    Pay MORE money for LESS gun!

What a great idea.

For me, these things kind of fall into the "fun" and/or "why not" category vs. a firearm that can fulfill an actual useful role.

They may be fun to strap onto your kayak or jonboat and use for pirating on Sugar Creek. Or as punt guns.

jd1794h

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 28, 2017
    NWI
    Wearing black leather clothes, Ray Ban sunglasses, riding a Harley with it slung over your shoulder and having someone take a picture of you doing some sort of hand sign...Other than that nothing I can think of...

602px-T3-870-3.jpg

It's the Garth Brooks of shotguns...Neither country nor rock and roll...Just sort of there....

IMHO of course....If they made them in a 20 gauge I may get one and I am saving for one of these which are useless as heck but look so cool...

wm_10008928.jpg
    Yes! :ar15: Now if I could only get myself to a gym I might be able to pull that look off.

BE Mike

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jul 23, 2008
    New Albany
    People who knock 'em haven't shot 'em IMHO. With the right ammo, they are a formidable home defense gun. If you are worried about noise in a home invasion scenario, you are focused on the wrong things, IMHO.

Top Bottom