• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • spankys56

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 11, 2014
    NWI
    Been doing some early Christmas shopping for my son and picked up a marlin 60 1983 vintage 22" full length tube. I wanted a piece that he will hang on to and pass down himself, as this will be his first gun from dad. By the time I have it I will have 155.00 in it, overall it looks to be in pretty nice shape. The stock has some scuffs/scratches in it. Trying to decide if I should refinish the stock or give it to him as is. I always like to leave things original as possible. What kind of collectability will the vintage true marlins have in the future?

snapping turtle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 5, 2009
    Madison county
    True said. It is most likely a marshield finish being a 1983 model and that finish is a pain to remove. Dent dings and scratches might apply the wet wash cloth and iron to steam out. That marshield is the second hardest dismiss to remove to the high gloss browning japan finish.

Try a good wax see how much it covers.

Tyler-The-Piker

Boondock Saint
    Rating - 100%
    101   0   0
    Jun 24, 2013
    ><(((((*>
    sling, scope, buckets and bricks of bullets, .22 bore snake, have fun. By far my favorite 22 rifle, especially the mid 80's, if imperfections in the stock do not affect form/function then leave em be

Redleg11b

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 3, 2017
    Goshen/Elkhart
    The Model 60 with a full length tube is on my short list to get. Here is an alternative idea for you and your son-refinish the stock together. That way it is not just something he got from you, it is something you worked on together. Use it to teach him some basics of finish removal (though it may be tough), use of a sanding block, and work with him to give it a great oil finish. After that, maybe have it reblued or a coating done like Cerakote, Alumhyde, etc. Work on it together. For a gift like this, I would not worry about what a collector would think. It is about the pride and memories he has with it and the stories he tells when he passes it down to his children (refinished or not.) Just my $.02

indykid

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 27, 2008
    Westfield
    Good call on a nice rifle to pass on to your son. As to future collector value, I believe the Marlin 60 was and still is a very popular shooter if not one of the most popular, with several million made. Go ahead and enjoy it, but think about making a refinishing project a father and son thing.

Paul30

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 16, 2012
    The model 60 was my first rifle. I later sold it cheap to a family member, so I could purchase a Ruger 1022. I liked the model 60, it shot well. My reason for selling it and upgrading to the 1022 is I wanted a magazine that I could remove quickly and make it safe. The model 60 always required either cycling the action 15 times or putting my hand carefully under the bore and releasing the tubular magazine. After dumping all the rounds out, I would reinstall the magazine and many times one or two were still in the magazine. The 1022 I simply pull the magazine, and check the chamber. I could load it back just as fast. I felt the removable magazine was a bit safer, and still do. If you pass down a 1022, they could upgrade it as much as they want and it will still be "Dads old rifle".

spankys56

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 11, 2014
    NWI
    I went with a vintage marlin due to the fact that I have not owned a 60 myself and have always heard that the old ones were great shooters. We will see how it looks when I get my hands on it. I have a few 22's win 62a, win model 69, henry lever and a 10/22 all dressed out. The bluing on the marlin looks pretty good in the pics and stock is not bad either, just a few marks and character scratches. I know there were so many of these made over the years and collector status is not a issue. Just got a good old workhorse of a marlin for him. The thing is keeping it a secret till Christmas, Can't wait to see how he reacts!

Brickmandan

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 4, 2017
    Wheeler
    Christmas is a long time from now. The weather is just starting to get nice to be outside plinking. I'm sure he would like to have it right now, then when Christmas comes around you can get him ammo and other accessories. They are great guns, I love my old model 60, but I don't think they will ever have any real value as a collector piece so just do whatever you guys want with it. If it was mine I would just leave it as is if it runs well.

spankys56

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 11, 2014
    NWI
    Well Marlin really is not a marlin anymore, just like Winchester is not Winchester and so on. Who knows what they will do in the future. Myself, I always go for the old stuff anymore. Just something about picking up a classic and wondering where it has been.

airrifle82

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 8, 2014
    northern indiana
    If you get on Ebay, check there for a stock from time to time. If you find a nicer one at a good price switch them out and list the original. I have done this a few times and it worked out good. Easier than refinishing. There's usually a good amount of model 60 stuff on there.

spankys56

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 11, 2014
    NWI
    yeah, I will give it a good detail and that is the way we will leave it. Like I said in one of my posts I like to leave the old ones alone. All the marks and scratches are part of that guns story. He will love it.

Winamac

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 11, 2011
    Logansport
    Great find. I collect Marlins and the Marlin model 60 like has been said before is classic and dependable. With regard to it being or ever becoming collectable? Who know, right now in the Marlin collectors arena the 80's era models in great condition are going for about what you paid with the plain stocks. Now the 60's that have the squirrel or groundhog or oak leaves engraved/stamped into the pistol grip area are bringing a bit more as are the ones with engraved/stamped forearms. These are shall we say "desirable" in the Marlin collectors realm and have gone up a bit more in price. Hope this helps. enjoy your rifle.

ljk

Master
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    May 21, 2013
    I have an NFA trust, so all my good stuff are going to be my boys.

Quality wood stocks have their own character, I'd leave the battle scars alone.

That being said, after owning both, I prefer 10/22. Shooting tube fed 22 in the winter outdoors is a pain when times come to reload.

Spear Dane

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 4, 2015
    Kokomo area
    My first 22. Over all a gun with lots of great memories but it taught me to loath tube mags to the point I've never owned another tube mag gun.

LarryC

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 18, 2012
    Frankfort
    I have a 60, great rifle, doubt it will ever become a "collectable" in our lifetimes as there were many made and most still exist. As far as refinishing the stock, if you and your son want to, go for it. Back in the 1950's I refinished my first firearm stock. My Bil and I "scraped" the old finish off a 22 (can't remember the maker), with broken class shards, worked well but today I would use a metal scraper. We then sanded the stock and applied Linseed oil, after every squirrel hunt, I would rub in another coat of linseed oil when I cleaned the gun. Makes a great finish in my mind, water runs off, easy to remove scratches and mars, and looks good. I would make it a team project with my son, I rubbed the linseed oil on with my bare hands, then waited an hour or so and wiped it down to remove any excess. I have done this with a few firearms since, although don't do it with my military surplus firearms as I want the original finish.

Top Bottom