• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • snapping turtle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 5, 2009
    Madison county
    Picked up a KIDD two stage trigger for my father birthday. Going on his target 10-22 which shoot great just has a horrid trigger. Then looked at all the parts and pieces.

Then the illness started. "You have no 10-22" "every collection should have a 10-22" "look at that one" ewwww ahhhhh neat

since i I have many 22's and no 22 parts aside from 3 10 round mags two 25 round mags and a five round mag. I can pretty much start from scratch.

Needs: future suppressor host. Mainly a accurate plinker of light weight. Cool looks an eye catcher. Ability to use a Harris bi pod.

snapping turtle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 5, 2009
    Madison county
    Please show me your setup. What did you do wrong right? What should you do differently?
    I can get the jig to cut the back of the receiver for cleaning from a friend. Seems like a neat mod to start.
    Seems a lighter bolt would be needed to really shoot the CCI quiet or suppressed a no. Easy enough when time comes.
    KIDD makes some really nice ****.

And this his rifle will need a name. No all guns need a name but I do believe customs and builds should be named.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    This is my favorite mod. Just wish it was metal. The metal versions I found didnt generally have a good paddle for your fingertip to activate. They typically would be engaged with the back of your finger and that seemed like it would get uncomfortable over time. (Appleseeds, etc)

Ruger 10/22 Magazine Release Lever | Crossfire Holsters

you will also want to modify the bolt release. The up and back action to get it to engage/release can be almost as tricky as reassembling a 22/45. :): You can buy the replacement part or file it yourself easily if you are comfortable. Ive done both and if you work slowly and take your time it isnt hard.

10/22 bolt lock - Ruger Forum

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    Oh, and somebody posted a product that replaces the bolt handle to include a spring loaded paddle parallel to the bolt. when you dont want the bolt to open you push it against the side of the bolt and it touches the back of the ejection port keeping the bolt from opening when fired. Its designed for use with suppressors to keep the bolt closed to further reduce the report.

shootersix

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 10, 2009
    This is my favorite mod. Just wish it was metal. The metal versions I found didnt generally have a good paddle for your fingertip to activate. They typically would be engaged with the back of your finger and that seemed like it would get uncomfortable over time. (Appleseeds, etc)

Ruger 10/22 Magazine Release Lever | Crossfire Holsters

^ what he said! that magrelease is the best!

you will also want to modify the bolt release. The up and back action to get it to engage/release can be almost as tricky as reassembling a 22/45. :): You can buy the replacement part or file it yourself easily if you are comfortable. Ive done both and if you work slowly and take your time it isnt hard.

10/22 bolt lock - Ruger Forum

I tried to modify my stock bolt release and it didn't work!, but the volqaurtsen release, its about 10-12 dollars and easy to install
    View attachment 55641

my 10/22
    boyds evolution stock 140 plus shipping
    ruger bx trigger 55.00
    volqartsen auto bolt release 12.00
    volqartsen extended bolt handle 44.00 (I think)
    volqartsen edge extractor and spring 10.00 (I think)
    champion industries fluted bull barrel 99.00 (plus 9.99 shipping)
    crossfire mag release 19.99
    in fact the only factory parts on my 10/22 are the receiver, and the factory firing pin and return spring (I did replace those due to the factory parts being worn out)

its my bowling pin gun, and so far (3 weeks in) I've came in 2nd and 3rd (and once didn't make it past the second round)

there's a gun shop in Yankeetown Indiana (not that far from Evansville) that specializes in ruger 10/22's and rimfire pistols he's a volgartsen and tactical solutions distributor and stocks just about every part you'll need to build your rifle, and has great prices!

since he's not a site supporter, I wont advertise for him, but if you want his info, pm me! (I bought all the parts from him but the stock, barrel, mag release and firing pin/spring)

snapping turtle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 5, 2009
    Madison county
    Cameramonkey: love the idea of being able to single fire or auto.
    Shooter six: like the black receiver barrel and the black accent on the stock. Just a quick in head price check and that is about 400 in aftermarket parts. Plus the cost of the donor rifle.

Looked at at the bx trigger (your opinion?)

the one I shot was kinda weird two stage acting with a sponge feel at times. Then out can a timney and it was better but did not break like glass as I have seen on timney trigger in a rem 700. The guy also had a jewel trigger and it was sweet but he also said they were no longer made. He was the one who said you willing to pay for the best trigger get the two stage KIDD. So since it is birthday present for dad I kicked out the cash. I have paid less money for a whole 10-22 than that trigger cost me.

Started a spead sheet. I keep adding up what I want and need and maybe I just need to bite the bullet and buy the whole setup from KIDD. That would take away the thrill of finding all the stuff one piece at a time like johnny cash.

shootersix

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 10, 2009
    Cameramonkey: love the idea of being able to single fire or auto. the auto bolt release wont make your gun fire full auto! with a ruger 10/22 to lock the bolt open, you bull back the bolt and push up the bolt stop, then to release it, you pull the bolt back, and fidget with the bolt stop to get it to drop, with the auto bolt release, all you do is pull the bolt back, and let it go(the bolt release drops on its own)
    Shooter six: like the black receiver barrel and the black accent on the stock. Just a quick in head price check and that is about 400 in aftermarket parts. Plus the cost of the donor rifle. yes that's without the sight, and that'll vary on what you want to spend (that one was 40.00 and is perfect for bowling pins, but crappy for precision shooting) and its a hell of a lot cheaper than buying a made 10/22 rifle like a volqartsen, or magnum research, the barrel is on sale at cdnn sports but isn't threaded (cdnn has bull barrels for 89.99 plus shipping blue or stainless, and fluted blue barrel for 99.99 plus shipping)

Looked at at the bx trigger (your opinion?)
    I like the bx trigger, its a drop in part, made by ruger, push out 2 pins, and take out the old trigger, put this in and put the two pins back in and you're done!
    you could buy a volqartsen kit, and make your trigger pull better, but you do all the assembly work, and the warrantee is void!, I had a problem with my 1st bx trigger, sent it to them, and they replaced it free

another option would be brimstone https://www.brimstonegunsmithing.com/collections/ruger-10-22
    you send your trigger and they do all the work, they also have a ruger bx trigger, and holy crap!, it's light!!!!! the guy who owns the gunshop I talked about earlier has a brimstone bx trigger in his 10/22, and I think the pull is about 1 pound! way to light for me!

the one I shot was kinda weird two stage acting with a sponge feel at times. Then out can a timney and it was better but did not break like glass as I have seen on timney trigger in a rem 700. The guy also had a jewel trigger and it was sweet but he also said they were no longer made. He was the one who said you willing to pay for the best trigger get the two stage KIDD. So since it is birthday present for dad I kicked out the cash. I have paid less money for a whole 10-22 than that trigger cost me. yeah, a volqartsen trigger costs 260.00!, and the parts to do it yourself list for 125.00

Started a spead sheet. I keep adding up what I want and need I wouldn't do that if I were you!, once you start keeping track, you might decide you don't need a 10/22, plus were someone to find said "spreadsheet"(oh idk like your wife or significant other) it could be used against you! and maybe I just need to bite the bullet and buy the whole setup from KIDD. That would take away the thrill of finding all the stuff one piece at a time like johnny cash.

see my notes in red!

seedubs1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 17, 2013
    Start off with the Kidd trigger kit, bolt release, and charging handle kit and send the bolt and barrel to Randy at CPC. That'll get you a hell of a nice rifle for cheap. The rest is cosmetics, personal preference, etc...

Last edited:

BoilerWes

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jan 2, 2010
    Pendleton
    I would suggest an all Kidd build. My photobucket is jacked up at the moment but I have 3 different builds completed and a 4th in the works.

Last edited:

snapping turtle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 5, 2009
    Madison county
    still in the research mode. The call out has been placed to a few friends for a donor rifle. Junkyard dog ect:

THe KIDD two stage arrived Saturday for dad's target rifle. Played with it some and for a true bench rifle like his it should be perfect.
    The means a stainless ruger trigger group to send to brimstone will be available next week. going tier 1 with the sweet spot.

What seems real hard is the balance as all the target rifles with full bulls are so front heavy. Would like it to balance around the mag. So further research is ongoing. Two shooting friends bringing over 10-22 builds next week. So some hands on and some stock fitting. Also found a 6-9 Harris bi-pod in the stash which I thought I had sold.

One piece at a time. So think the rifle needs to be named "the man in black" or Johnny cash

roscott

Master
    Rating - 97.5%
    39   1   0
    Mar 1, 2009
    What seems real hard is the balance as all the target rifles with full bulls are so front heavy. Would like it to balance around the mag. So further research is ongoing. Two shooting friends bringing over 10-22 builds next week. So some hands on and some stock fitting. Also found a 6-9 Harris bi-pod in the stash which I thought I had sold.

One piece at a time. So think the rifle needs to be named "the man in black" or Johnny cash

Check out Kidd lightweight barrels. Thin steel barrels sleeved in aluminum. Light but still stiff.

Emiller

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 17, 2017
    Bath
    I am just starting my 22-10 build. I only have $200 to spend right now what do you guys suggest my gutsy mods be?

Top Bottom