• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Bapak2ja

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 17, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    I know, I.O. AK-47s "suck" and so does their customer service. I read through several of the threads on here. I got it.

However, a recent On Target Magazine published a review of I.O.'s new product. The article states that the owner listened to the feedback, dumped the old factory and personnel, built a new factory with new state-of -the-art machinery, hired former NASA engineers to design an American-made AK-47 based on Polish Mil-spec blueprints, and trained a new production crew to make a quality rifle that does not suck. No mention is made of improved customer service.

The parts list looks good. Quality steel. Stamped receiver. Wood stock. Standard caliber. Bench firing test results were acceptable. Under 1" at 50yds with Hornady ammo. Standard AK-47 operation. You can read the article here.

I.O., Inc. AKM247-C AK-47 Rifle | On Target Magazine

Has anyone out there tried one yet? Based on the article is anyone tempted to test one?

More importantly, and my key concern here: What would it take to persuade you to test a new designed/engineered American-made AK-47? At what point would you be willing to take the plunge and give I.O. or any similar company a new test?

jinks

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 5, 2013
    Central
    I purchased a Pioneer AK47 imported from Poland by I.O. INC, Palm Bay, FL (the new location). It was shipped from Poland as an assembled new manufacture rifle. I.O. INC was to add the 922r parts. The only US marked parts where the muzzle brake and cheap plastic magazines. I called I.O. to confirm the AK was US compliant. The woman who answered the phone was pleasant. The person who the call was transferred to did not answer my questions and he was evasive and rude. The Pioneer AK47 worked well as an inexpensive range gun.

If I were to purchase anything from I.O. INC, I would have to inspect it completely and verify that it functions flawlessly (several 100 rounds).

tradertator

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Jul 1, 2008
    Greene County
    Sorry, but that would be my absolute last choice if I were shopping for an AK. With so many great options available, why gamble your money on a company that has produced nothing but ****? For the same amount, get a WASR which has proven to be reliable. For a little more, get a VEPR or an Arsenal SLR107R and you will have a gun that will last a lifetime.

And please don't confuse what I said with the guns they've imported, like the Polish Beryl Archer. Thats a top notch, quality built rifles. The only hand IO has in it is importing it, then installing cheap ugly american furniture to make it 922 compliant.

Wolfhound

Hired Goon
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Apr 11, 2011
    Henry County
    At the risk of being tarred and feathered I would like to speak my mind. I own an IO AK and I really like it. It is WAY more accurate than my Romak and WASR. Maybe I just got lucky.

Let the evisceration commence.......

TubThumper

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jun 2, 2015
    Westfield
    Can't speak to the I.O. stuff, but I had a C39v2 as my first "starter AK" and it was a perfectly acceptable rifle. Accurate, smooth, and reliable. Only reason I traded it was to graduate up to a milled Arsenal, but I'd have no reservation recommending one - especially if you get a "good one" like I had.

Spyco

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 26, 2012
    NWI
    Rob from the AK Operators union tested it and it failed before 500 rounds went through it. The gun was beating it self apart, needed a recoil buffer to prevent the bolt carrier from jumping the rails, and the bolt closed on a no-go gauge.

warriorbob

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 96%
    24   1   0
    Feb 6, 2011
    I have yet to see an I.O. With a straight receiver. You pick em up and rack them and the bolt hangs up on everyone I've handled. Had two friends that I work think their io's were straight so we took them to a friends shop that has a surface plate and sure enough they're crooked. "But it's an ak" yeah I place my saiga on it and it passes. Well sure enough both now have about a thousand rounds and both trunions and bolts are beat up, both are hard as hell to rack, and can't pass a go, no go gauge. Both rifles bought last year. Oh and I don't have the whole story but the one with the bad head space, my friend tried to send it back on warranty and he was basically told to pound sand.

Bapak2ja

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 17, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    I understand I.O. was a mess. That was explained and documented in the original aerticle I cited. My question was focused on the new production being made at the new factory with new engineering.

It it seems most here would never try the new production models.

warriorbob

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 96%
    24   1   0
    Feb 6, 2011
    Both my examples are new production from the new factory. Owner is still an ass that bashes anyone that calls into question the quality of his crappy product, they turn over engineers and machinist at an extremely high rate, and they use barrels as bucking bars. And I don't buy the whole "NASA" engineer thing either. Even if they did the engineering philosophy is backwards. Western engineers like tight tolerances and the ak is designed to have loose tolerances. Anyways, rant over, sorry for bumping this after a week.

Trigger Time

Air guitar master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98.6%
    204   3   0
    Aug 26, 2011
    SOUTH of Zombie city
    IO has supposedly changed factories and personnel and procedures and listened to the feedback so many damn times I can't count. Hell I think they even changed their name. But the fact remains that IO AK's as a whole are ****. ****. ****. And in case you can't read through the language filter and get my point I'll just say it again ... ****.
    i am THRILLED when I see someone who has been spared the humiliation and frustration or failures and have a IO made AK that works! So anyone here who has one that works I truly am cheering for you and happy that yours works and I mean that.

For anyone who has yet to buy one, DONT!!! I repeat, DO NOT BUY AN IO BUILT AK. They did import some that were made overseas and those mostly seem fine. If it's made here in the USA and says IO don't buy it.
    these guys know their product is **** and they have intentionally misled the consumer and intentionally put out **** to profit from the consumers misfortune I believe. Of coarse this is only my opinions and they just happen to be shared by many more people that happen to know a hell of a lot more than I do about AK's. Some are already in this thread above.

do yourself a favor and look up AK operators union on YouTube and see what he has to say about IO and many other AK's. That will help you find the best one for your personal needs.

jgressley2003

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 2, 2011
    Miami County
    I’m assuming that IO is still putting out bad products? Dunham’s has a hot deal coupon for IO AK for 550. Looking at it, it looks like a nice gun but worried about longevity and history of defective issues.

Top Bottom