• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Areoflyer09

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Feb 28, 2017
    Indianapolis
    After impulse buying an AR in January and subsequently learning that I'm not an AR person. The idea of it was a lot more fun than I had shooting it and it spent several months sitting in the closet untouched. During those months my better half bought me a Golden Boy .22, something I've wanted for 15 years or so. Fell in love instantly. The wood, the lever action...it all just felt right. It makes some sense when I think about it. I learned on a lever .22 and deep down I probably still want to be a cowboy and never really grew up. :D

Once the GB showed up the AR just ended up further back in the closet, to avoid the regret of that purchase. It was clear the AR needed a new home and I wanted something bigger than the .22 but would create the same joys of the GB. So why not get a Big Boy? It didn't take long for that idea to set in and once I held one, I was sold. Given that I already had the brass with the GB, I went with the steel this time so there would be less worry about using it outside or letting others use it. Bonuses to the steel over the brass is that the stock and grip are both checkered, there is a rubber pad on the stock and it has the sling points already on it. I really wouldn't be opposed to the sling points and the checkering being on the GB as well, but that's life sometimes.

Today I got the call that my Big Boy had arrived. It'll be a few days before I can fire it the first time, but its here! Woo hoo!! :): I really just wanted to share the excitement with everyone.

gOh3ntq.jpg

A2krQhT.jpg

p4TDVT3.jpg

Areoflyer09

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Feb 28, 2017
    Indianapolis
    It had been discussed multiple times with my better half over the last month. It would still be on the list if I had avoided grabagun. They had it at $636, which shipping and transfer I can in just over 650. That hit the price point to get me to buy.

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    The 357 makes a good lever gun round, I shoot a fair amount of 158 grain cast RNFP through my Uberti pushed by Hercules 2400.

Areoflyer09

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Feb 28, 2017
    Indianapolis
    Warthog - that's a great looking set you've got! I definetely got some dirty looks when I brought up the idea of getting a matching revolver...the next purchase gets to be hers. She's got her eye on a CZ 455.

It sounds like I'll get to shoot for the first time on Sunday or Monday. This week is just crawling along for me.

Areoflyer09

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Feb 28, 2017
    Indianapolis
    just got home from a trip to Indy Arms. I played over on the pistol range since nobody was in there so I was limited to 52', but what a joy this rifle is. 38 Specials are like a plus sized .22 through this rifle just a soft tap to let you know it went off, overall a bit more recoil than my Golden Boy but a dream to shoot. .357 Magnums produce felt recoil somewhere between the .38 and the .223 AR I got ride of. Hard to judge exactly where in that range is place it without being able to try things back to back. The important part was that the .357s just give a nice love tap for the times that I want to feel a bit more kick.

I did discover that the rear sight is mounted off center on the barrel so aiming dead center produces a group about 1 1/2" to the right. Grr.. oh well. I'll contact Henry tomorrow and find out what the options are for getting it corrected. I may ask if instead of sending it back, they would just send me the rail to add an optic and I'd be a happy camper. Don't know if that's feasible or not though.

Even with the slight sight problem, I'm quite pleased with it. :D

Areoflyer09

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Feb 28, 2017
    Indianapolis
    Back at the range this morning with my fiancé so she could try the Big Boy. We get done and she informs me that the 38 Specials aren't any more fun than .22s when shooting paper and the 357 was a lot more fun to shoot. :D

I also gave Henry a call and it turns out the rear sight cane be adjusted so that has been straightened out on the barrel, of course I found that out after the range time. Loosen the small screw and push the sight back into alignment. Easy as that. Won't know until the next trip if that fixed it, but it sure looks a lot better.

Areoflyer09

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Feb 28, 2017
    Indianapolis
    It was never a thought. The GB was spot on out of the box for windage so I didn't know it moved side to side. Suppose reading the instructions from time to time isn't a bad thing... The guys at Henry were super nice and explained how to get it righted for me, so alls well that ends well.

Top Bottom