• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rookie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Sep 22, 2008
    Kokomo
    My dad is wanting a rimfire varmint gun and asked about these two rounds. I tried to talk him into center fire, but he's not interested. So, which one is better for raccoons, ground hogs, and occasional coyotes?

DRob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Aug 2, 2008
    Southside of Indy
    The debate about whether or not the HMR is adequate for coyotes has gone on as long as the round has existed. As is typical in the world of shooters, the it's-not-good crowd is primarily those who don't have one as opposed to those who have taken yotes with one. I have shot none of the critters in question but I opine shot placement makes all the difference and the .17 HMR is accurate enough to allow appropriate shot placement at reasonable distances. I also happen to believe the WSM is a great little round but is trying to fill a niche that didn't exist. Are there still only a very limited number of guns chambered for it?

patience0830

.22 magician
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 96.6%
    28   1   0
    Nov 3, 2008
    Not far from the tree
    IF, and only if, I had a hankering for a .17 caliber weapon for things as big as a coyote I'd definitely opt for CF. Probably a .17 Fireball/Mach4. Don't get me wrong, my last 2 coyote kills were with the .17 Mach2 that I hunt squirrels with. Inside 50yds and careful shot placement. But dedicated coyote gun should reach out a little if you don't want to educate a bunch of 'em. If the coyotes are just gonna be targets of opportunity and the coons and groundhogs are the more likely targets, I'd opt for the hummer. It will do the job handily, it's chambered in more platforms, and you're less likely to get a lemon, IF what I hear about the first round of WSM rifles is true.
    Old Hickory over at Rimfire Central has a WSM he likes and would be a resource for actual experience with the round.

bobjones223

Master
    Rating - 98.2%
    55   1   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Noblesville, IN
    The guys I have talked to that own the .17 WSM have had problems with accuracy and trying to find a round the gun liked and they were VERY picky. I am not sure it is worth it for the little extra push of the WSM plus HMR is easier to find.

55fairlane

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 15, 2016
    New Haven
    .17 HMR but.....big but.....at the cost, step up to center fire......not that much more per shot.....

.17 HMR is more accurate, stopping power is still being debated.......

My money...... .223 rem......further range,more stopping power, rifle cost the same, ammo is like .05 cents more a shot

Rookie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Sep 22, 2008
    Kokomo
    Believe me, I've tried to talk him into center fire. He has a suppressor for rimfire, and he doesn't want to get one for center fire. He's worried about the neighbors complaining - I tried to explain that he now lives in the country and their whining doesn't matter, but he's not willing to attempt it.

Ggreen

Person
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Sep 19, 2016
    SouthEast
    I have a very accurate out of the box savage bmag. The accuracy issues with 17wsm come from the pencil barrels. A little investigation and reading and you'll see similar accuracy out of a wsm and hmr, but with wsm get the heavy barrel. My step dad has a super nice 17hmr in a ruger 77, it is a much more expensive rifle than my bmag and at 100 yards we are both shooting about an inch at 167 (to the berm at the local conservation club) the wsm slaughters the hmr. I consistently hold 1.25" groups and I'm not anything special when it comes to pulling a trigger.

Both rounds are readily available around me, both cost roughly the same to feed, the wsm has the performance edge. It was an easy choice for me and savage bmags with heavy barrels are attainable at very easy to swallow prices. The rimfire guys talk about getting the barrel cut down without losing much if any performance so having one threaded should be easy.

I love the 17 rimfires hmr and wsm are great rounds. The wsm edges out the hmr in performance and that is why I picked it. Do I need the extra? Probably not, but all of my ar's are 5.56 barrels and I really only shoot 223....

I do plan to add a boyds stock to my bmag as I got the cheap heavy barrel with the crummy plastic stock i'd probably pony up for the target model if I did it over again.

grunt soldier

Master
    Rating - 100%
    71   0   0
    May 20, 2009
    hamilton county
    The 17hmr is a fun little round. It stays super sonic until like 325 yards. There is videos on you tube taking rabbits at 300 yards. I have shot 2 coyotes with mine and it did a nice number on them. One was just over 50 yards and the other was about 85 yards.

I have a nice cz455 and it's stupid accurate. Can't get the videos to link on my phone but just Google it.

No experience with the other round but the hornady and other 17 hmr ammo can be found for under 10 bucks a box which is awesome.

throttletony

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jul 11, 2011
    nearby
    The debate about whether or not the HMR is adequate for coyotes has gone on as long as the round has existed. As is typical in the world of shooters, the it's-not-good crowd is primarily those who don't have one as opposed to those who have taken yotes with one. I have shot none of the critters in question but I opine shot placement makes all the difference and the .17 HMR is accurate enough to allow appropriate shot placement at reasonable distances. I also happen to believe the WSM is a great little round but is trying to fill a niche that didn't exist. Are there still only a very limited number of guns chambered for it?

Believe me, I've tried to talk him into center fire. He has a suppressor for rimfire, and he doesn't want to get one for center fire. He's worried about the neighbors complaining - I tried to explain that he now lives in the country and their whining doesn't matter, but he's not willing to attempt it.

The 17wsm DOES fill a niche -- I live in MI and if I hunt varmints at night it HAS TO BE RIMFIRE.
    Overall, I wouls steer someone to the HMR or a 22mag, unless u need to shoot to 150 yds and keep enough energy for a yote kill.

With a silencer, he's still going supersonic... = no boom, but still crack

Sniper 79

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Oct 7, 2012
    I think the HMR will do anything he needs it to do and for a little less money. Overall more bang for your buck with the HMR.

I am enjoying my Savage FVSR and plan on decking it out with a Boyds stock and DIP bottom metal kit. The gun outshoots the scope I have on it now and could benefit from better glass. Check out that particular model it is ready for a suppressor out of the box.

Only issue I had with the HMR is wind drift. Get a little side wind and it slices like a golf ball. Virtually no drop out to 150yards. That is the farthest I have shot it thus far. I think if kept within that distance it would whack and stack coyotes all day long. It is a nail driver and head shots wouldn't be a problem at all.

yetti462

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 18, 2016
    Unglaciated heaven
    I have both. The wsm is a hammer on coons, fox and the coyote I shot with it died quickly. I have heard of runoffs with the hmr on coyote. I have a pencil barrel bmag with a boyds stock on it. It shoots good and I highly recommend. It shoots the 20gr American Eagle the best, they run about 12.50/50. It too is fur friendly if you're into keeping pelts.

augdog

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 7, 2013
    Sheridan
    I bought A 17wsm barrel for my TC Contender. Only been able shoot at 50yds. One ragged hole! Wanting to shoot at 100yds + if this wind will ever stop.

Ggreen

Person
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Sep 19, 2016
    SouthEast
    Doubt it. My lgs has been selling more wsm than hmr in the past year and he cant keep a wsm on the shelf more than a day or two. Super popular in my rural area

boogieman

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    48   0   0
    Nov 14, 2009
    under your bed!!!
    Another thing to consider is the WSM is available with heaver projectiles (20 - 25 grain).

This is true but if you look at different reviews almost all of them like the 20gr over the 25gr. I have a Bmag and that is definitely true. The pattern on the 25 gr is almost always at least twice the size.

dugsagun

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2013
    portage
    My dads bmag, skinny barrel from the first year they came out,that has been back to savage twice, will reliably feed 4 out of 5 rounds from the magazine, and easily put 5 shots into a 6" shotgun like pattern at 100yrds, with the 20grainers from winchester. The 25 grainers wil put 5 into a 2" group. However since those are slower than the 17grainers from my A17, in chronographing them, his 17 stays home when we go to arkansas , while mine comes to take care of all the damm armadillos and occasional skunk at night after we have deer hunted all day. I couldnt tell any real difference on those pests with either gun.

oldpink

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2009
    Farmland
    If I were limiting myself only to rimfire, I'd go with a .22 WMR instead.
    Heavier bullet and larger frontal area.
    However, I'd definitely prefer a .22 centerfire instead, both for a more ready source of ammo and for the ability to roll my own, with the mighty .22-250 Remington being the No. 1 pick, or even the .220 Swift if he wants a maximum effort rifle.

Top Bottom