• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Haven

Network Warlord
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Nov 6, 2016
    Camby Area
    Yesterday my brother and I were going through our dad's guns. Our sister, and myself were not aware he had any guns, my brother was not aware he had as many as we found. I ended up taking the Winchester Model 190, a .22lr rifle with scope. The scope isn't that great from what my brother said, as the scope used to be on the Winchester lever action 30-30. I know nothing on the condition of the gun, and my brother wasn't aware dad had this one.

I got home tonight and tore it down (after watching a video on how to do that). It needs to be cleaned, but other than that I don't really know what I am looking for. Is there someplace I could take it to get it checked out (around Indianapolis), and how much should I expect that to cost?

I also have a sandwich baggie of .22lr ammo to get me started with this one.

This is my first rifle.

The others that we found were a Remington Arms M1917, a .177 pellet gun, and a shotgun. The pellet gun my brother bought, and wasn't aware dad still had it.

Thanks!

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    Load it and squeeze the trigger.
    I don't believe I've seen a Winchester .22lr that would "blow up" on you.
    I have a couple of inoperative model 190's, parts guns really.

They were serviceable rifles. Not match guns, but not cheaply built either.
    I would not hesitate to try factory ammo in it without any "qualified gunsmith" inspection.

In great shape, the rifle is probably not worth more than $200-$250.
    I wouldn't put a lot of money into it.

That's just me.
    YMMV

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    Yep. Not a whole lot a 22 can do due to the limited amount of powder in the cartrige. Im not even sure a clogged bore would be catastrophic to the user. At least not that first shot anyway.

patience0830

.22 magician
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 96.6%
    28   1   0
    Nov 3, 2008
    Not far from the tree
    If you are sure the bore is unobstructed, test firing should be safe enough.

Try some different ammo types. SK std works well for me. Your rifle may have another preference.

.22's can be finicky about ammo for best accuracy.

kb66

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Sep 29, 2009
    Noblesville
    Those are good little rifles. I was given that same rifle when I was 10. Forty years later and I still have it and all of my kids have shot it at some point. The only issue I had with mine, was after several years of no use, it started having light hammer strikes and would not reliably fire every round. I had to have a new hammer spring installed and then it was back in business.

pute62

Master
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 29, 2009
    Lawrence
    Had one a number of years ago that a buddy gave me when his kids were young and his wife didn't want guns in the house. It was in great condition other than the fore end being loose and a few scratches in the stock. I brought it home, cleaned it up, refinished the stock/ put a scope on it and shot it a few times. It ate any ammo I put thru it and was pretty accurate. Fast foward 10 years and same buddies son came of age to want to do some shooting/hunting. He was overjoyed to receive his dads old gun and know its history. He took many a target/pop can/ squirrel with that gun and now has His 8yo son starting to shoot it. They were made in a era when guns were made to be shot and last a lifetime.

Top Bottom