Most Important Quality When Buying An AR?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Topshelf

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 15, 2017
    New Albany
    I have been shopping ARs for a while now and am struggling with which direction to go in. I have built in the past and love the ability to create exactly what I want. I have tried the dirt cheap route but end up spending way too much on it to make it how I want it. So what is everyone's main concern when buying a new AR? Price? Brand? Config? Thanks for the help.

MCgrease08

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Mar 14, 2013
    Earth
    The first consideration should always be to define what you want to do with the rifle.

Are you looking to shoot long range? Are you interested in a lightweight, compact carbine? Will this be a home defense gun? Maybe something you plan to hunt with. Knowing what you want to do with the gun will point you in the right direction.

ogtruckin

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Feb 10, 2017
    Vault 76
    once you know what your going to be using rifle for, I would suggest building your own. you'll probably save money and get to set it up for exactly how you want.

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    Most Important Quality When Buying An AR?

That it run.

I want the gun to run because if I have an AR out, I will be running. I want it lightweight. I could give two hangs about being cool so that means I don't hang junk on the weapon and I don't have a silly thick barrel.

I want a sling, I want a single stage nice trigger, I want clear, big sights. Maybe I want a light, or the capacity for a light. Maybe an optic if small and compact. Above all else, I want the gun to run.

I prefer a fixed stock, but I like Magpul CTR stocks too. I like that ACT trigger from ALG. I like a 2 point sling as that is how I was trained (I am old, deal with it).

I am a minimalist/realist as I do not game gun, I do not want to shoot at eight hun-dirt yards with it, and I have no interest at emulating SEAL 10 or IMPD SWAT (I do not own a boner drone). The Red Jacket Katana is right up my alley and I have other ARs along that no-nonsense, no-GSC philosophy.

We are blessed with many fantastic makers of quality ARs. Pay the money, cry, and then get to training with what you have.

Sling10mm

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 12, 2012
    Ok, I'm afraid to ask, but what is a "boner drone," and what is a "no-GSC philosophy." Do I need a tacti-beard before gaining that knowledge?

That it run.

I want the gun to run because if I have an AR out, I will be running. I want it lightweight. I could give two hangs about being cool so that means I don't hang junk on the weapon and I don't have a silly thick barrel.

I want a sling, I want a single stage nice trigger, I want clear, big sights. Maybe I want a light, or the capacity for a light. Maybe an optic if small and compact. Above all else, I want the gun to run.

I prefer a fixed stock, but I like Magpul CTR stocks too. I like that ACT trigger from ALG. I like a 2 point sling as that is how I was trained (I am old, deal with it).

I am a minimalist/realist as I do not game gun, I do not want to shoot at eight hun-dirt yards with it, and I have no interest at emulating SEAL 10 or IMPD SWAT (I do not own a boner drone). The Red Jacket Katana is right up my alley and I have other ARs along that no-nonsense, no-GSC philosophy.

We are blessed with many fantastic makers of quality ARs. Pay the money, cry, and then get to training with what you have.

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    Ok, I'm afraid to ask, but what is a "boner drone," and what is a "no-GSC philosophy." Do I need a tacti-beard before gaining that knowledge?

The boner drone is an INGO legend.

GSC is a Gun Shop Commando (derived from the writings of gun rag writer Mel Tappan in the '70s). Can be used to describe a person or a gun (you know, like the AR-15 that has been drug through a Brownell's catalogue? Right, pure GSC).

I don't have a lot of trash on my ARs and I don't have a "tacti-beard", I would call it the "monkey butt".

edwea

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Jan 25, 2015
    New Dolan
    Fwiw, I have a monkey butt and neither one of my ar's have anything "tacticool" and both run like a friggin top. And I love my monkey butt. And ar's. Murica.

venenoindy

Master
    Rating - 100%
    70   0   0
    Jul 14, 2009
    Noblesville
    I have tried the build route and buying off the shelf, there nothing wrong with built it yourself as long as is done properly and with actual knowledge (I don't have that is the truth). I seen too many home brews gone wrong and because of that I chose to buy a off the shelf specimen that I know is put together by people that care and know what they are doing, I have had high end rifles but I learn that the only limit was my skill as shooter and not the rifle so I choose to concentrate more in my skill and less on the rifle. I went simple so I pick up a Bravo company 16 inch carbine good sights and a red dot and lots of ammo, BCM is a go to war kind of carbine. I purchased the upper and the lower separate and saved money.

MohawkSlim

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 11, 2015
    15th Street, Bedford
    Price.

I know very few people who shoot their rifles enough to justify spending more than $500 on them. I keep seeing these "I have a quality AR" guys who never seem to run many rounds through their guns or, if they do, they're shot at a 100 yard target off the bench at the local range.

Instead of worrying about which gun to get, worry about what you're going to do with it. Then, build your rifle for that.

edporch

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Oct 19, 2010
    Indianapolis
    I agree that what you want to do with the AR15 should guide you as to what the most important quality is.

I would only point out that if your AR15 is going to be used for a self defense weapon, reliability at the lowest cost should be your prime consideration.

Reason being that if you ever actually use it for self defense, the police will take it, and it will be a miracle if you get it back anytime soon, if at all.

I know if it was me, and I'd put a lot of unnecessary money into it, I'd resent it all the more when they didn't PROMPTLY return my gun as soon as it was clear that I used it lawfully.

POB

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 19, 2016
    Jeffersonville
    Buying a complete upper from a reputable company. I know some will disagree saying no one can put one together better than they can but this is MY most important.

Topshelf

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 15, 2017
    New Albany
    All great answers and very helpful info. I am looking into getting into 3 or 2 gun competitions and was leaning towards just buying an off the shelf rifle from a good company to start with. I know I can build one cheaper but I want it to run like a top as well. I feel that the only thing that matters in the lower is the trigger. After that most everything is roughly the same besides furniture. Keep the suggestions coming this is some great stuff.

LarryC

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 18, 2012
    Frankfort
    I recently built up an AR15. My reason for building it was for moderate range target shooting. I don't like the light 5.56 caliber or the surplus ammo for self defense, so that was not a consideration. I have several other firearms I would reach for prior to the AR. (Custom AK, Garands, etc.)in a SHTF situation and have a 45 colt by my bedside. I built mine with a fluted SS 20" barrel, and have a Vortex Crossfire scope mountd. Considering the current low prices of many AR's, I probably didn't save any money, but it runs like a sewing machine! Haven't put enough rounds downrange for the barrel to settle in so can't comment on the accuracy.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    I no longer own any off the shelf AR's as I prefer to pick my own parts and build them myself.
    I have had a turd but it was easily fixed. The rest have all ran just as designed.
    When you build them it is easy to put some of yourself into them.
    Say what you will but I enjoy doing color combo's on my range toys. There are specific HD pieces in the group but they all run very well. Accurate and reliable. Some are actually pretty handsome. Point being is build them like you want them. Do not cheap out on the internals.

Especially my Ingo pieces. There are 3 of them. This is the 1st one. It rocks. Never sees less than 400 rds every time it goes to the dance and it has been to more than a few dances.
    I like the angled for grip. Works for me. The X's3 lets my tired eyes work the red dot out past 100 if I choose. I like the single point as well. Again, works for me.

sgreen3

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Jan 19, 2011
    Scottsburg,In
    Like mentioned above 98% of AR owners never will shoot it enough to notice any real difference between a "high end" or "low end" AR. I have to reiterate that knowing a true use of the rifle and being honest with that use will go a long way in the direction you want to go with a build or in a store bough rifle. With that said I prefer no nonsense basic rifle with a good barrel and a nice trigger and just simple furniture. I don't need a show piece whenever its getting thrashed on in a Run-N-Gun or other style of carbine course. I just need it to fire when the trigger is pressed....

Top Bottom