• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Sonney

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 24, 2012
    Has anyone that has a precision Ruger rifle have almost run out of windage or elevation adjustment at 100 yds. I have put on 3 different scopes on this rifle I got the 2nd scope to zero but the first one didn't I have now put on a a 3rd scope and haven't tried it yet. I would think that there should still be plenty of adjustment left at 100 yd. zero.

nipprdog

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Jan 11, 2009
    Tippecanoe county
    Has anyone that has a precision Ruger rifle have almost run out of windage or elevation adjustment at 100 yds. I have put on 3 different scopes on this rifle I got the 2nd scope to zero but the first one didn't I have now put on a a 3rd scope and haven't tried it yet. I would think that there should still be plenty of adjustment left at 100 yd. zero.

From Ruger's web site on your rifle;

20 MOA Picatinny rail secured with four, #8-40 screws for increased long-range elevation capabilities.

Might have something to do with. :dunno: Hopefully Alan will chime in soon.

mcapo

aka Bandit
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Mar 19, 2016
    East of Hoosier45 - West of T-dogg
    I have a Vortex HST 6x24x50 mounted with a Vortex Cantilever base on an RPR. I zero'd the gun at 100 yards no problems.

I own five Vortex scopes plus a red dot and would put them up against anything for the price (and more).

oldpink

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2009
    Farmland
    Isn't this problem caused by the scope sitting up higher than it normally would on conventional bolt action rifles?

42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in
    Isn't this problem caused by the scope sitting up higher than it normally would on conventional bolt action rifles?

Its possible. Its also possible he is running a high zoom scope with little internal travel like a guy was on here last week.

Its possible that the rings/base is out of line.

Its possible that the barrel is out of square with the receiver.

Since he is on his 3rd try, the most likely issue is the factory scope base, or the barrel being out of square. With more info like optics used, were the rings kept in the scope swap's, etc we could narrow it down a bit.

This problem is not caused by one thing. Its like a stomach ache, Its caused by a lot of things, you just have to figure out which one it is.

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    If the rifle comes with a 20 MOA rail that makes it easy to get a 1000 yard zero with a conventional scope, and you are shooting it at short range like 200 yards, that geometry will run most scopes out of adjustment. You can either use some shims or use the preferred method and have a flat orientation scope rail fitted and you will be just fine.

Top Bottom