• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • smythe012

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 99.3%
    147   1   0
    Nov 9, 2011
    Northwest Indiana
    I purchased a DPMS Oracle in 308 and had a chance to take it out to the range twice. The first time I shot it, I used the 20 round magazine that came with it and a various assortment of ammo, ranging from 147gr Silver Bear to Federal 175 Match. I had numerous failures to eject with all types. Sometimes the spent casing would stay in the chamber and get jammed with the next round being fed, sometimes it would be stuck to the bolt face.

The next time I took it out, I tried again, using a PMAG and only Federal match ammo, still the same result.

I then removed the BCG that came with the rifle and swapped it for one I purchased from CMMG. No issues, zero.

I contacted DPMS and told them of the situation and they are asking that I send the entire rifle back to them for warranty repair. They said they have to "recreate the failure" in house before they can repair. From what I'm reading, shipping costs are one me.

I'm not a huge fan of paying to ship my entire rifle when I can pretty much deduce the BCG is the problem.

I'm thinking I can sort out the problem myself and save the time/money of going to the warranty process. I'm guessing it's either the ejector or extractor, or both.

Any other suggestions would be appreciated. I'll be happy to reply with any more info I have.

bmbutch

Master
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Aug 20, 2010
    Southern Indiana
    DPMS bolts can be installed in carrier incorrectly, causing BCG to try & eject brass into the rifle & not out the eject port. Had a DPMS that drove me nuts until I figured out (via ARFcom help) what the issue was. I've yet to run into another BCG that can be assembled incorrectly.

Try taking bolt out, rotating 180 & reassemble.

smythe012

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 99.3%
    147   1   0
    Nov 9, 2011
    Northwest Indiana
    I just disassembled both the DPMS and CMMG bolt carrier groups. One thing I noticed immediately is with the DPMS bolt, it's tolerances are much tighter when inserting into the carrier. As is, it takes some force.

With the CMMG, it inserts and exits with ease, in both the CMMG carrier and DPMS carrier.

Top Bottom