• ...and so much more!
  • ACC

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    134   0   1
    Mar 7, 2012
    N. Side of Indy
    I saved my buddy last week from making a big mistake. He was preparing to buy a Bushmaster AR from Gander Mountain for like $1200. I assured him there were better deals to be had out there on AR's, including >$400 entry level AR's.

He says he only wants one AR and would like to buy a quality, mid-range AR ($1000-$1500). I have never purchased that level of an AR and want to give him some recommendations. I told him to look into Noveske, Danial Defense, DPMS, Ruger.

What say you INGO? If you had +/- $1200 to spend on an AR, what would you buy?

Last edited:

Nojoy621

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Aug 10, 2016
    Crown point
    A friend of mine just got the Lwrc in the above link. I shot it last week and it was really amazing. Admittedly he did have an aftermarket trigger installed, but the rifle was flawless.

Steel and wood

Sharpshooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 23, 2016
    Tipton
    You are a good friend. Ask him to look at BCM they are outstanding, I have a Daniel defense that I really like a lot but if do over I would really look hard at BCM.

IndyTom

Expert
    Rating - 87.5%
    7   1   0
    Oct 3, 2013
    Fishers
    (That LWRC is avaliable for $90+ less and no shipping from a Tombstone Tactical who I have had good experiences with in the past.)

Is 1 in 7" twist better for heavier or lighter bullets than 1 in 9"? I am in the midst of a brainfart and wanted to ask after eyeing that LWRC.

gmcttr

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    May 22, 2013
    Columbus
    ...Is 1 in 7" twist better for heavier or lighter bullets than 1 in 9"? I am in the midst of a brainfart and wanted to ask after eyeing that LWRC.

The 1 in 7 is better for longer/heavier bullets, but the 1 in 9 is good up to at least 69gr SMK's.

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    I wouldn't buy a Bushmaster after the sellout.
    Maybe one from Windham Weaponry, but not Bushmaster.

$1200 should get a NICE AR, NOT an entry level...

MohawkSlim

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 11, 2015
    15th Street, Bedford
    So this dude who didn't know a $1200 Bushmaster was a bad deal all the sudden knows what a "quality" AR is?

Has he been reading the Internetz?

It sounds like you steered him in the right direction with the cheaper ARs. My #1 piece of advice for all those "I need a $1200 AR because someone on the internet said I do" is to buy that $500 AR, $500 worth of ammo, and take a $200 training class.

flatlander

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Noblesville
    Buy once, cry once.
    Buy cheap, get cheap.
    BCM is the best bang for the buck out there IMO.
    If he was willing to pay $1200 for the weapon I'm betting he can afford some quality training.

Bob

Cerberus

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 27, 2011
    Floyd County
    So this dude who didn't know a $1200 Bushmaster was a bad deal all the sudden knows what a "quality" AR is?

Has he been reading the Internetz?

It sounds like you steered him in the right direction with the cheaper ARs. My #1 piece of advice for all those "I need a $1200 AR because someone on the internet said I do" is to buy that $500 AR, $500 worth of ammo, and take a $200 training class.

I'm not so sure this isn't pretty sound advice in today's market. Nothing wrong with the top brand names I suppose, but way too many believe the advertising and have no clue what actually does make a part a good part. OTOH, I do realize that not everyone is an experienced tool maker, has a few thousand $$$$s worth of metrology tools and access to the equipment I can access. If not for that I guess I would be saving for more proven brands as well.

Cerberus

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 27, 2011
    Floyd County
    Buy once, cry once.
    Buy cheap, get cheap.

Bob

One of these days I'm going to fork out some cash for a BCM trigger kit and do a complete SxS comparison to a lesser brand and see how it all shakes out. I'm not going to mention where I got my last "mil spec" style trigger kit, but it sure does look a whooooooooooooollllllllleeeeeeeee lot like the Colt offering.

rvb

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 14, 2009
    IN (a refugee from MD)
    My first rifle was a RRA... Back during the ban years. I think it was '01, right when I got out of college. Ended up rebuilding it when the ban lifted, and later re-used most of the left over parts. Thousands of rounds on that bolt/barrel (bolt's actually been used on a couple of barrels, even). I do not consider RRAs QC on the same standard as BCM, DD, etc; however I do regard them higher than the likes of PSA, Anderson, Delton, etc.

highpower guys speak highly of their match uppers. I think their 9mm set up is the closest to colt and about the most reliable 9mm set up you'll find (I just bought and cut/threaded another one of their barrels for my USPSA PCC gun), esp after all the problems I've seen w. Glock-mag set ups and all the problems I've read about with PSA 9mms.

it just happens a majority of my lowers are RRA.

i think they're a good mid-tier rifle with a couple of nitch bright spots. I've not seen reason to really bash them, other than to jump on the internet bandwagon.

:twocents:

-rvb

venenoindy

Master
    Rating - 100%
    71   0   0
    Jul 14, 2009
    Noblesville
    If your friend is going to shoot less than 300 rds a year (just a random figure) in other words plink once a while I recommend a S&W sport II for around $500.00, he will be very well served with that rifle. Now if he is seriously thinking about becoming a proficient rifleman BCM is the way to go. The average shooter will never use his AR to its capabilities so there is no point wasting money just my opinion.

Top Bottom