• ...and so much more!
  • Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    I have the chance to buy a Mossberg Patriot bolt-action rifle in .30-06.
    It's brand new, with box and paperwork, walnut stock with beautiful stippling on the wrist and fore-end.
    My cost will be $385.

Sounds like a decent deal, and the rifle is gorgeous.
    No sights, but tapped and has rails installed fore and aft of the ejection port.

All the reviews I've read sound pretty good.
    Anyone here have any real-world experience with this rifle?

Bobby

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 14, 2008
    Muncie/New Castle
    I don't have any real world experience but I have my eye on this exact make and model. I currently use a H&R shotgun and hunt deer on privately-owned farmland. While this firearm has been good to me, I am thinking about upgrading to the 30-06 Springfield or .270 Win(this caliber just recently became legal in 2017 for deer season.)

Last edited:

Fordtough25

Grandmaster
    Rating - 99.1%
    110   1   0
    Apr 14, 2010
    Jefferson County
    I don't have a mossberg bolt gun but owning a 30-06 is american heritage! Love shooting the caliber in my ruger american, that sounds like a good price to get into bolt action fun go for it!

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    I was looking for a bolt action last fall and it was on my list. That's a good-but-not-great price point for those. I ended up with the Remington 783, for less (with a scope, that I replaced), but I also understand there may be a you-get-what-you-pay-for factor.

So, no real-world experience with it, but would absolutely consider it a good rifle based on what I read and heard.

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    Well, I decided to go ahead and jump on it.
    Stopped by the local fun shop on the way home, and wouldn't you know it, N.I.C.S. is down right now...

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    Seems to me there should be a NICS exception for someone wanting to buy a gun called the Patriot.

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    It's home, and it's BEAUTIFUL!
    If it shoots half as good as it looks, I'll have a really nice addition to the deer medicine collection.

LockStocksAndBarrel

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    It's home, and it's BEAUTIFUL!
    If it shoots half as good as it looks, I'll have a really nice addition to the deer medicine collection.

Congratulations. I'm looking forward to a range report.

Mine being my first bolt action gun, I'm wondering if there should be a bit of lateral play with the bolt open. It locks up tight. What say the INGO bolt aficionados?

oldpink

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2009
    Farmland
    Congrats on the new turnbolt, and seconded on Fordtough's comments regarding your choice of caliber.
    You simply cannot go wrong with the all American ol' '06.
    You'll have no problem finding ammo for whatever purpose you want, and it's a reloader's dream for the future should you decide to roll your own.
    It will also prove decisive on deer this fall, assuming that you do your part and put the projectile in the right spot.

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    WOW! I AM impressed with my new Mossberg.
    It was a very short range session. I only got 10 rounds down the pipe.
    I'm still nursing a sore back and getting into a comfortable shooting position just isn't feasible right now.

It came with no sights, but fitted with rails. I took the Leuopold off of another rifle and just set it atop the Patriot.
    Did a quick "poor man's bore sighting" (remove the bolt, set gun in rest, and look down bore then scope, bore then scope...)
    I did just plink with the first 5 rounds.
    Hit my self-sealing groundhog targets from 50 yards.

I set up a zeroing target at 50 yards and took 5 shots, one at each bullseye.
    Two shots were touching the bull, one was within 1/2" of the bull, one at 3/4", and one at 1-1/4" from bull.

For the first few rounds down the pipe, and the fact that I couldn't find a position to shoot that didn't cause me pain, I'd say this was pretty good shooting.
    I know it would never win a match, but it would take a deer from anywhere on the property I have to hunt.

All-in-all I'm very pleased with my new Patriot.

oldpink

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2009
    Farmland
    WOW! I AM impressed with my new Mossberg.
    It was a very short range session. I only got 10 rounds down the pipe.
    I'm still nursing a sore back and getting into a comfortable shooting position just isn't feasible right now.

It came with no sights, but fitted with rails. I took the Leuopold off of another rifle and just set it atop the Patriot.
    Did a quick "poor man's bore sighting" (remove the bolt, set gun in rest, and look down bore then scope, bore then scope...)
    I did just plink with the first 5 rounds.
    Hit my self-sealing groundhog targets from 50 yards.

I set up a zeroing target at 50 yards and took 5 shots, one at each bullseye.
    Two shots were touching the bull, one was within 1/2" of the bull, one at 3/4", and one at 1-1/4" from bull.

For the first few rounds down the pipe, and the fact that I couldn't find a position to shoot that didn't cause me pain, I'd say this was pretty good shooting.
    I know it would never win a match, but it would take a deer from anywhere on the property I have to hunt.

All-in-all I'm very pleased with my new Patriot.

:postpics:

Top Bottom