• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • timeforchili

Plinker
    Rating - 50%
    1   1   0
    Mar 4, 2010
    I'm probably going to buy a marlin lever in 357 and 45-70 from a guy pre Remington but fairly new (mid 2000's probably) they're in good condition. The interwebbs say 550-750. Can anyone make a good argument that the higher end of that range is the right price? No octogon barrels here.

mammynun

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Oct 30, 2009
    New Albany
    All I can say is I wouldn't sell my guide gun on the low end, the high end might make me consider it... but I would keep mine at $700 or less for sure.

indiucky

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    All I can say is I wouldn't sell my guide gun on the low end, the high end might make me consider it... but I would keep mine at $700 or less for sure.

I'm with with mammynun on my 1894 pre safety 357 magnum i.e. I wouldn't sell it for what people are paying for them...There's just something about a Marlin....Mammynun is my go to "I got a question about a black rifle" guy, but I have seen him get downright giddy talking about his guide gun or running some .38 specials "muy rapido" through my 1894 on some steel.....

There is just something about a lever gun...Buy and then love them.....

IMHO

timeforchili

Plinker
    Rating - 50%
    1   1   0
    Mar 4, 2010
    I already have a 357 cb and I'd like another one the problem is its a package deal and if I get the 45-70 it's gonna cost me another several thousand with all the reloading equipment it's gonna force me to buy �� edit. *Smiley Face*

snapping turtle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 5, 2009
    Madison county
    N ORmal asking prices when you see a JM stamped 1894 in 357 is around 800 now. Selling prices will be lower. These would be guns in the near mint condition with safety. You see very few for sale. They seem to stay with original owners. Add extra for ported and extra extra for stainless.

The 1895 you see at the shows much more often. Asking prices still around 700 for near mint JM stamped. Barrel length seems to be no issues in price for 18 to 26.

Marlin 39a's seem to be 700 max Mounties or 39m's max at about 900 and the TDS is maxing at 1000. Once again table prices not selling prices.

336's max about 709 with most asking 450 for RC models with JM stamps.

On average JM stamped marlins are running 300 to 400 over the price they ran before the sale to the freedom group.

timeforchili

Plinker
    Rating - 50%
    1   1   0
    Mar 4, 2010
    Thanks for the info jmarriott, I guess I'm gonna have to jump on these. My local shop has a used 357 with a sticker of 975!! Their used prices are pretty salty across the board tho

snapping turtle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 5, 2009
    Madison county
    Get them. The prices have gone up since the rem takeover. Since the pre election boom is over they have seemed to stay the same.
    The big jump seems to have been on the 1894 and 39a models. Love my marlins just glad I had several before the closing of north haven.

Solid investment if if you can get them right. Plus the 357 has the fun factor and the 45-70 is a reloaders dream. Factory ammo in 45-70 is salty.

oldpink

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2009
    Farmland
    I'm just glad that I managed to get one of the last of the round barrel .45 Colt M1894s sold only through Cabela's before the transition was completed.
    She's a real beauty and shoots pretty well, 1"-2" @ 50 yards with my home-rolled loads without really making any measured effort, so I'm sure I could get them all down under 1" at that range with more time and care taken.

snapping turtle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 5, 2009
    Madison county
    If shooting cast bullets in that 45 colt marlin barrels are normally over bore for caliber. So either slugging the barrel or order a few larger sized cast bullets and finding the sweet spot is money well spent. Finding the right size will really make those groups shine.

seedubs1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 17, 2013
    Shot one a few weeks back. Put a big smile on my face. I think I need a 45-70 in my life. But dang those jm stamp rifles are salty. Thinking of a Browning BLR for something not so collectible but with all the fun factor and quality.

oldpink

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2009
    Farmland
    Shot one a few weeks back. Put a big smile on my face. I think I need a 45-70 in my life. But dang those jm stamp rifles are salty. Thinking of a Browning BLR for something not so collectible but with all the fun factor and quality.

Yeah, but the BLR is even more expensive, cool as they are.

Top Bottom