• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • venenoindy

Master
    Rating - 100%
    71   0   0
    Jul 14, 2009
    Noblesville
    I recently settle on two AR 15's to be taken the role of all purpose self defense rifles, one has BUIS and a red dot but haven't decided how to set up the second. The range that I go to all shooting I do is 10 to 100 yds and have never shot past 100 yds, I was thinking to put a 1-4 scope on my second rifle but don't know if that is the smart thing to do. My eyes are aging and can't see very well past 75 yds. I don't frequent any range that has 100+ available so should I just stick with red dots?

Dean C.

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 25, 2013
    Westfield
    Cannot go wrong with a low power variable optic (LPVO) scope IMHO allot more versatile than a red dot and the good units on 1X are just about as good as a red dot.

halfmileharry

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Dec 2, 2010
    South of Indy
    I have Aimpoints on a couple of my ARs and love them for fast acquisition of targets.
    I also have a Leupold 2x7 scope on one of my Colts that I absolutely love for punching holes in paper and cutting saplings.
    The 2 power is very fast for close moving targets and the crosshairs are accurate for what a red dot can't do.
    Since you already have the dot and sights you might want to go different OR... go exactly the same so you can "grab and go" without thinking about it.

hemicharger

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   1
    Mar 14, 2008
    Anywhere
    I had a vortex pst 1-4 but the reticle was too busy and in daylight, the illuminated reticle got washed out. Now the Px4i has a simple crosshair reticle with a super bright 2moa reticle, like aimpoint bright. The glass is also more clear than than vortex. This is coming from a die hard vortex fan too. DSG arms runs specials for the Px4i for $599 with ADM mount and switch view lever. For the money, I don't think you can get a better optic. Sorry Vortex, but Steiner wins this battle. Now the Vortex 2.5x10x32 is a different story. I'll probably never replace that.

LarryC

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 18, 2012
    Frankfort
    You might want to PM 42769vette, or visit aa optics.com and discuss this issue with Alan. He may have other options and certainly will truthfully answer your questions. I have 3 Vortex scopes and highly recommend them, I have had many other brands through the years and don't think any can compete with Vortex for the price or warranty. Vortex also has many other optic choices than scopes.
    [h=1][/h]

sgreen3

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Jan 19, 2011
    Scottsburg,In
    I currently run a 1-4x Leupold on my Primary AR carbine. Since I've gotten use to shooting a 1-4 in closer distances I just cant make myself go back to a red dot for my go to rifle. I've used the 1-4 in Run-N-Gun courses as well as other courses and training classes and didn't feel any less capable in the close quarter stuff after using it and getting use to it. They're defiantly the way to go imo.

DanVoils

Master
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Feb 20, 2010

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    I guess my eyes are opposite of yours. Mine are aging and the red dots just don't work for me. I bought a Leupold 1-4 with the HogPlex reticle. I really like it.

However, mine does have an illuminated dot in the center of the reticle. For some reason it works well with my eyes. Plus I can turn it off if I desire and it still works if my battery dies.

I did notice that the vast majority of shooters at the carbine class I did yesterday run red dots though.

venenoindy

Master
    Rating - 100%
    71   0   0
    Jul 14, 2009
    Noblesville
    I went to Cabelas and take a look at a few scopes, they did not have a Steiner but looking through different brands I decided to get a Steiner P4xi plus got a good deal. Also got a good deal on a Burris QD mount at almost half the price of other brands. The gran total of $495.00 for scope and mount including shipping :)

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    I went to Cabelas and take a look at a few scopes, they did not have a Steiner but looking through different brands I decided to get a Steiner P4xi plus got a good deal. Also got a good deal on a Burris QD mount at almost half the price of other brands. The gran total of $495.00 for scope and mount including shipping :)

Nice. That reticle looks like it will be a good one.

hemicharger

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   1
    Mar 14, 2008
    Anywhere
    Have one too.. As stated, I love it. I have mine on a ADM QD mount, and the clicks are so repeatable that I can even switch between rifles, adjust 11 clicks down, and its still dead-on!

I'm not sure how Steiner did it, but the Px4 is a real winner. It's certainly the best bang for the buck in the 1x4 category. I'm starting to realize that it's not all about how much magnification you can get, but more about glass quality and features. I'd take the P4Xi over a 1x6 or 1x8 with crappy glass any day

Dean C.

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 25, 2013
    Westfield
    ^^^^^^ the sooner people realize they are better off with clearer glass and less magnification VS crappy glass and higher magnification the better off the industry will be imho. I use the Strike Eagles as an example, I like Vortex but the Strike Eagle glass just plain sucks. Sure the new one is a 1-8 but there is a reason the stuff with good glass in that power range is $1000+ more.

kaveman

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Sep 13, 2014
    La Porte
    I've ditched most of my red dots and replaced them with low power variables and personally, I think people spend WAY too much money on optics. I'm sure that the view through glass that costs more than the rifle I'm putting it on is very pleasing, but I'm not convinced that it's necessary. I'm not looking for the one scope that is 'better' than all other scopes,.......I'm looking for a scope that will do the job.

That said, spend <10% of your budget and try out a Konus Pro. I buy these things five at a time from Bud's(for free shipping)and put them on everything. They've got a reputation for being rugged. They're designed as shotgun scopes. The reticle is etched in glass. As shotgun scopes, the parallax is set at 75', splitting the difference between typical .22 scopes(50')and most true rifle scopes(100'). Works fine for me and I do put them on .22s as well as centerfires. The glass is good,....not great probably,....but I'm comparing it to a couple of older 1-4x Leupolds and I don't notice a difference. In fact, I prefer the Konus and have thought about flipping the Leupolds. I can replace them 5:1 with the 1.5-5x KonusPros. There's a lot to be said for having ten or twenty rifles all equipped with the exact same scope, and I can't do that with $500+ optics.

https://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog...s_id/95486/KONUS+7230+KONUSPRO+1-5X32+AIM-PRO

Bud's description is faulty. They are actually 1.5-5 variables so if a true 1x is important to you try something else. They also do NOT have the goofy AimPro diamond plex reticle,....they're a simple duplex. Don't know why but just about every seller of these Konus scopes repeats the same bad info. The 7230 has a simple duplex(thank God). It's a bunch of scope for $41,.....especially when I was selling my old Eotechs for $300.

Last edited:

bobjones223

Master
    Rating - 98.2%
    55   1   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Noblesville, IN
    I have Aimpoints on a couple of my ARs and love them for fast acquisition of targets.
    I also have a Leupold 2x7 scope on one of my Colts that I absolutely love for punching holes in paper and cutting saplings.
    The 2 power is very fast for close moving targets and the crosshairs are accurate for what a red dot can't do.
    Since you already have the dot and sights you might want to go different OR... go exactly the same so you can "grab and go" without thinking about it.

I am also a HUGE fan of the Leupold 2-7 and own a few of them. They are a great all around scope out to 100-200 yards. You lose one power on the low end but gain three on the high end. The two power is very easy to use with both eyes open , the price is awesome for what you are getting and you can't beat Leupold's warranty!

Top Bottom