• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • C-Wolf

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 5, 2017
    Evansville
    In 2018, I'm looking at buying a big bore bolt action rifle. This one just so happens to be .308. Not a hunter, just a weekend paper puncher.

Looked up some reviews on the Remington 700 VTR in SS but could only find articles from '09 or '10 if I was lucky. 7 years ago, this rifle didn't seem to be received all that well. Have things changed or is this rifle still a piece of junk? I only want an accurate rifle that can reach out to 200, maybe 300 yards consistently, just for something to mix things up.

https://www.impactguns.com/remingto...rel-rail-bipod-black-stock-wgray-grip-pa.aspx

Dean C.

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 25, 2013
    Westfield
    At this point personally unless you can find a special "Police" model 700 that has been tuned by Remington properly I would stay away from their products.

I am not sure what your budget is but if I were in the market for a 308 bolt gun the Gen 2 Ruger Precision Rifle would be at the very top of my list for sure.

C-Wolf

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 5, 2017
    Evansville
    As far as a budget goes, I don't want to spend more than 900. I wouldn't be doing anything serious with it, nor would I be trusting my life to it either.

As far as caliber goes, I'm really not picky. The only criteria I have is that I can easily find it and that it cost less than $2 per round, aside from it being a fairly large round. 308, 30-06, 45-70, etc. Oooh, 45-70 bolt action sounds nice, actually.

I'll give that Ruger a look tomorrow morning. Curious, though. What is it specifically about the 700 you don't like? Sloppy action, unreliable, generally inaccurate/inconsistent?

sgreen3

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Jan 19, 2011
    Scottsburg,In
    For only 300 yrds max a 223 would get the job done as well and save ammo cost as well even though I know you said you wanted a "big bore" rifle. Otherwise I would recommend A savage FCP-SR in 308 awesome out of the box accuracy and very reasonably priced well under your budget. Also take a look at the Howa model 1500 (its pretty much a Remington action just a bit a bit better imo) and would also be well under your budget. Both offer amazing out of the box accuracy with very nice triggers out of the box.. Here is review vids I did on both, check them out either of these rifles may be what your looking for....

[video=youtube;cQmOyd2dmbc]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cQmOyd2dmbc&t=1s[/video]

[video=youtube;eh_WJHRO7UM]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eh_WJHRO7UM&t=47s[/video]

C-Wolf

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 5, 2017
    Evansville
    sgreen3: Nice reviews, I'll have to keep them in mind when it comes time to make a serious decision.

Spear Dane: I don't have to have a 308, that just so happens to be what the rifle I linked to was chambered for. I'd be just as happy with 30-06 or grendel. Usually I'm very caliber-picky, but this time I'm not.

oldpink: I really dig the price of the American. 386 for a 30-06 is good in my book.

bloodandgutsmurphy: I suppose the Marlin lever actions also took a hit? I've got my eye on an 1895G in 45-70.

mcapo

aka Bandit
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Mar 19, 2016
    East of Hoosier45 - West of T-dogg
    I would second sgreen3. Look for the Howa 1500/Weatherby Vanguard line. Well under $900 new. If you just plan on range use; get something with a little weight to it. Some of these super light stocks stop being fun after an afternoon...

If you are staying under 300 yards; all kinds of calibers will serve you well. Find the cost of ammo you're willing to spend and save the rest for optics.

If you want to stay 30 cal - Consider 30-06. Tons of factory loads and a hand loaders dream, cheap prices. I grew up with this caliber moved away from it for more "trendy" calibers and now am rediscovering its incredible diversity.

Don't count out smaller bores like .243 win. Laser flat at 300 yards and very soft shooting. I have a Ruger Precision in .243 that stretches out to 1000 yards.

6.5 Grendal and 6.5 Creedmoor are awesome rounds but at 300 and under you have all kinds of options.

or even 270 Winchester....or 257 weatherby magnum....or...

roscott

Master
    Rating - 97.5%
    39   1   0
    Mar 1, 2009
    Remington: I wouldn't necessarily rule one out. I went with a 700 AAC-SD, and in a magpul hunter stock, it is a sub moa rifle. Quality control has declined in recent years, but just because some bad ones slip through doesn't mean you can't find a good one.

Ruger American: All the important aspects are there, but all the lesser aspects are definitely cheap. The stock feels cheap and flimsy, the bolt has some slop, and the machining is definitely a notch down. However, they are accurate, feed reliably, and do all the required things a rifle does. It just doesn't do them as svelte-ly as some nicer rifles.

Savage: similar to the Ruger American, but perhaps a little nicer on frills. The accutrigger is great, but no longer stands out, as several others now have comparable imitations.

As for caliber, if you really intend to shoot 300 yards, I like the .308. A .223 has lots of wind drift at that range, enough to make life miserable. (Think 8-12 inches on a windy day.) If you only shoot distance on nice days however, .223 is certainly capable.

Thor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 18, 2014
    Could be anywhere
    Used Mauser? :dunno:

Seriously, check out some gun shops and see what's available, you may be pleasantly surprised at what you find. If not? Go with past suggestions, or what you just like and can afford. Have fun!

seedubs1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 17, 2013
    Te only Remington 700s I'd consider these days are the police, 5r, or sendero. The rest, Remington has let go down the crapper.

With your budget, look for a great condition older police, 5r, or sendero. Theyreexcellent for the money paid.

Take a serious look at savage as well. They make some seriously nice rifles.

avboiler11

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jun 12, 2011
    New Albany
    In the last few years I have owned a 700 Varmint and AAC-SD in 308...both rifles were absolutely, consistently sub-MOA @ 100yd 5 round groupers with the 168gr Amax & ELD and averaged closer to 0.75 MOA.

The 700 Magpul can be had for not much over $700 now with Remington's $150 rebate; that's a pretty good value for what you get.

That said...for $900 I would be looking at a Tikka T3x CTR or Bergara HMR.

Shoots4Fun

Master
    Rating - 100%
    74   0   0
    Dec 21, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN
    There's also been a lot of controversy and a number of lawsuits over some of the Remington 700's with the safety/trigger groups where they have allegedly fired when taking off the safety. It's not just a few occurrences.

Its contraversial particularly on guns site such as this because of the basic rules of gun safety and because many have excellent experiences with the rifles. I have other Remington products (870's) but would not buy a 700 because of many of the things I have watched and read. Your mileage may vary, but you should at least research it and decide for yourself.

:twocents:

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    I just bought a new Mossberg Patriot bolt gun in .30-06.
    Paid $412 out the door and it even has the beautiful walnut stock.

Took it to a short range session yesterday and could not be more pleased.

C-Wolf

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 5, 2017
    Evansville
    Thanks for all of the input. I think I've got a good bit to work with, and from the time between now and next year, I need to spend some time feeling them in person. You only get so much from the spec sheet.

LarryC

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 18, 2012
    Frankfort
    I collect firearms, but am a big fan of larger caliber rifles. I have several 30-06's, .308, many of the ww2 military calibers etc and my latest purchase a 50BMG. In my opinion the .308 though a great round was designed by the military (much like the 5.56) as a "cheaper, lighter weight" round to replace the 30-06. Other than the efficiency of the powder charge and the lighter weight, in my opinion it has zero advantages.

I do not own one but if I were in the market to purchase one in the price range the op desired, I would definitely seriously consider the Savage 10/110 trophy hunter. I prefer the wood stock (yeah I am aware of the advantages of the synthetic stocks) as I really like the looks and feel of wood. The Howa is not a bad choice, but I have read many reviews of the Savage and almost all consider it a great choice. It has a great trigger, good reputation, fine accuracy, and I have not heard of any real issues with the firearm. I have also read several good reviews of the Tikka T3, the barrels are made by Sako (owner of the Tikka brand) and are considered very accurate. I would expect sub MOA from either rifle.

My son and I reload so prefer the 30-06 as it has a larger powder capacity, others may find more off the shelf offerings in precision match ammo in the .308 caliber. In my opinion both are great cartridges. The 30-06 is a "long action" while the .308 is a "short action". Both cartridges are widely available at around or under $1.00 a round for commercial ammo, a little less for military surplus, more for match ammo.

By the way many people consider the military rifles as being inaccurate. In reality unless worn out or defective, almost all are under 2 MOA with many if not most under 1 MOA. If you check the original military requirements most had to be under 2 MOA when purchased. I have some well under 1. Unless you are an extremely accurate shooter shooting from a bench most decent rifles are more accurate than the shooter!
    [h=1][/h]

warriorbob

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 96%
    24   1   0
    Feb 6, 2011
    Another vote for savage. I bought a model 10 fcp-sr from bob in Plainfield for $640 after tax, added a scope and bipod and get sub moa with 168 match from federal gmm and hornady and about 1.5 moa with Austrian m80 ball. I am NOT an experienced bench or precision shooter and I'm constantly between .5 and .9 moa.

Top Bottom