• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Tac45

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 18, 2012
    SS
    Hey guys, I have kids from 4 1/2 to 10 1/2 that I'm wanting to get started shooting a bit at my parents property.
    I think a .22LR rifle would be a great start, and was wanting to get some ideas for them.
    I started on a 10/22 Carbine and loved it, but that was almost 15 years ago...if I had it still I'd use that.

I'm wanting something that is reliable, visible sights (maybe something with F.O.'s on it or available as aftermarket...
    I like the 10/22, but want to know if there is anything else I should be looking at?
    <$250-300

Thanks!

singlesix

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 13, 2008
    Indianapolis, In
    10/22 with after market adjustable stock. Friend settled on this combo for his Grandkids, about the same age range, allows for adjustment for the smaller frame kids.

IndyTom

Expert
    Rating - 87.5%
    7   1   0
    Oct 3, 2013
    Fishers
    Started my daughter out with a Plinkster and then moved to a SW M&P 15-22. The plinkster was light, but not the easiest to use the bolt (for her), short of stopping, standing up (from a bench), cycling the bolt, sitting, aiming . . . She seems to enjoy the 15-22 a lot more though I do help reload the magazines. She has no problem with it and is taking out cans within 2 shots.

ViperJock

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Feb 28, 2011
    Fort Wayne-ish
    It's hard to beat a 10/22 for the money. Change parts as they get older and they never outgrow it. You can put a smaller or adjustable stock on to decrease the length of pull for smaller kids. My smallest started on acsavage rascal though which is great for younger kids.

Bigtanker

Cuddles
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Aug 21, 2012
    Osceola
    Henry makes a wonderful youth size single shot (no magazine) bolt action. Glueman has one for his grandson. He let my boy who was still 5 at the time shoot it. The fiber optic sights were great and the action was easy.

The Henry
    maxresdefault.jpg

Ruger makes the American Rimfire bolt action in a youth model. It has interchangeable butt stock piece for shorter shooters. It uses the 10/22 magazines too.

I have a 10/22 with a TacStar adjustable stock. My 9 year old daughter does great with it. My 7 year old son is still a little small for it yet.

Personally I'd start them on a bolt action. This teaches them every shot counts and the don't get carried away with shooting too fast. It's also much easier to show an empty chamber. Teaching safety at this age is more important than marksmanship IMO.

Head to the gun shop and take your kids with you. Try to find one that fits all of them. The oldest should be able to compensate for a rifle that is a little smaller better that the youngest trying to handle a rifle that is too big.

dnurk

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jun 20, 2012
    Boone County
    I went with the Savage Rascal and built it up to make it pretty much idiot proof for my son. He is younger than the kids you have listed, though. I like the safety of the single shot over the semiauto for younger kids.

My son started with the Rascal as well and I would do it exactly the same way again. Perfect LOP for kids so they don't form bad habits, its light enough so they can start learning proper muzzle discipline by handling it themselves other than on a bench, the sights are decent with a good rear peep, and a VERY good trigger for a stock kids rifle. And as was mentioned earlier it teaches them to make each shot count.

They can always move up to a 10/22 or other rifles later but IMHO the Rascal is the perfect trainer.

DRob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Aug 2, 2008
    Southside of Indy
    Ruger 10/22. I don't know if Ruger still makes a youth model but they do have a "compact" version. If you are near Indy and decide to go that route, I will give you a stock you can cut down to fit the kids.

Restroyer

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 13, 2015
    SE Indiana
    Lots of great options. Ruger 10/22, Marlin 795 semi-auto, Savage Mark II bolt-action, Henry .22 lever action. All four of them I would highly recommend.

cce1302

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 26, 2008
    Back down south
    Go with Marlin or Ruger. My kids shoot a Marlin 715Y (bolt) or ruger 10/22.

I wouldn't bother with the low end stuff like cricket or rascal. The marlin is a youth rifle, but still is good quality.

308jake

Master
    Rating - 100%
    78   0   0
    Feb 5, 2010
    Brownsburg
    The Ruger 10/22 with Archangel stock is a good choice for young shooters. It's lightweight and adjustable for LOP and comb. Another solid choic is the Marlin Model 60/795. They are very accurate and will serve them well as adults. My son learned the basics on a Rossi 22/410 combo and then graduated to a 10/22 compact. The Henry's are nice as well, and would make a quality heirloom 22. I believe the Crickets are ok, but I've found that they quickly outgrow them.

natdscott

User Unknown
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 20, 2015
    The NICEst one of this type of rifle is the CZ Scout. Look at it in person, and you might liken it to a 1983 Tacoma...not a beauty queen per se, but some serious quality under the hood, and safe as can be made. Compare the CZ to the rest, and the rest kinda look as clunky as a light blue '77 Ford Pinto.

Stay away from cock-on-closing bolts. Stay away from manual pull-to-cock bolts. Stay away from auto loaders at all.

The adjustable stock idea for that 10/22 was a good one, if only it weren't on a 10/22.

-Nate

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    Semi automatics are certainly easy enough to use, reliable and accurate enough for the job. For marksmanship training kids I like a single shot .22. There is an inherent encouragement to concentrate on sight alignment, target alignment, breathing and trigger control when you know you only get one shot. I bought a Marlin model 60 when my son was young and it was way too tempting to yank the trigger machine gun style, resulting in 10 shots going bang and no target hits. Helping out the scout program with single shots was a lot easier to keep the boys on the task of marksmanship.

mcapo

aka Bandit
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Mar 19, 2016
    East of Hoosier45 - West of T-dogg
    Ruger 10/22 is a great option. I am very impressed with my CZ455FS...more accurate than my 10/22 (granted my 10/22 is 40+ years old - my first gun)...and the CZ is a bolt action which I think is great for young shooters instead of semi-auto.

Learn to drive a stick before auto...

Shoots4Fun

Master
    Rating - 100%
    74   0   0
    Dec 21, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN
    I started my girls with a Cricket in 22lr. Once they starting shooting my 10/22's though, there was no going back to the bolt action.

I think it was the right path for them though, get the hang of the sights and action, and then progress to the semi-auto.

:twocents:

dnurk

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jun 20, 2012
    Boone County

I wouldn't bother with the low end stuff like cricket or rascal. The marlin is a youth rifle, but still is good quality.

The Savage Rascal is most certainly not "low end stuff." Compared to an out of the box 10/22 it has better sights and a better trigger. The wood stock models are also every bit as well made as a 10/22. I love my various 10/22 configurations but the Rascal most certainly deserves some respect as well. It also does not have the fault that the Cricket does where the shooter has to work the bolt and also cock the hammer.

ol' poke

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jan 14, 2010

>> This!

The Marlin youth 22 is a sturdy rifle, with machined, not stamped components. I would also recommend a bolt-action for a first rifle. Teach them the basics safely. Makes every shot count. Let them get older before they start sprayin' lead.

Top Bottom