• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • DRob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Aug 2, 2008
    Southside of Indy
    I've recently bought two of these. One each in .204 and .22-250. On sale right now, btw. Savage® Arms 12 FV Bolt-Action Varmint Rifles : Cabela's

They are essentially low-end bench guns but are very accurate right out of the box. They only have two drawbacks for the kind of shooting we do. First, the polymer stocks are very light and, second, I prefer to feed our p doggin' guns as single shots. Last July, when I got the .204, I ordered and installed a Sharp Shooter Supply single shot loading ramp. It's a drop-in part but you do have to remove the magazine box from the stock. Last month, I bought the .22-250 and tried the ramp in it. Both are short action center feed rifles but the ramp didn't fit the .22-250. Emailed SSS (Lisa) and she told me they routinely find machining variations due to worn or dull tools being used on mass production guns. I broke out the calipers and found there is a measurable difference in the width of the magazine openings. I ordered another ramp and it arrived yesterday. Did some judicious filing on the ramp and it's now an easy press fit and feeding perfectly. Good advice and quick service from SSS which some will say is unusual.

As for the Savage stock, I removed that ridiculous piece of styrofoam and filled the buttstocks with Bondo. Added 1.5 - 2 lbs to each gun. Also did the Bondo in a .223 Savage with an accustock and a muzzle brake which already had a pretty soft recoil. I expect all of them to be even more pleasant to shoot now. Seeing your hits through the scope is half the fun in a prairie dog town.

Last edited:

throttletony

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jul 11, 2011
    nearby
    I'm quickly learning that there's a lot of cool aftermarket support for Savages that I thought was only around for Remington 700 pattern rifles.

Stocks, barrel changing kits/accessories, etc.
    All sorts of cool stuff.

My only hunting experience with a Savage rifle was actually a bad one... it was an old (mid 50's or early 60's, I think) in .222 that had a tendency to let the firing pin go when you moved the safety. That's right, when you moved the safety to fire OR to safe, there was about a 20% that it would fire... THAT IS DANGEROUS :)

Other friends have owned newer savages and they seem to be good quality, safe, and highly upgradeable.

red_zr24x4

UA#190
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 14, 2009
    Walkerton
    DRob, I did the same thing to my 10FP.
    A little weight in the stock, re-enforced the forearm, filled the checkering in with some bondo, beded the action

natdscott

User Unknown
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 20, 2015
    ...quick service from SSS which some will say is unusual.

Not just 'some will say'....it's a Law of Physics that UPS can't swing past there to pick anything up except every 4th Blue Moon.

-Nate

DRob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Aug 2, 2008
    Southside of Indy
    Not just 'some will say'....it's a Law of Physics that UPS can't swing past there to pick anything up except every 4th Blue Moon.

-Nate

I knew there was something. :): I believe the secret to success with Sharp Shooter Supply is to only buy small in-stock items from them. If you're looking for custom work, they have a reputation for being very good but very slow. They shipped my loading ramp via USPS and sidestepped the above-mentioned law.

Top Bottom