• Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    Its my understanding that if I wanted to swap out my AR to something with a bit more punch like 300blk or 6.8 would simply require a new upper, correct? Same lowers, mags, etc? (I know moving to 308 or larger would require a new lower as it puts it into AR10 territory)

Considering starting to look for a possible hunting rifle that wouldnt break the bank for stuff that 5.56 just wouldnt cut it. (hogs, etc)

shibumiseeker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Nov 11, 2009
    near Bedford on a whole lot of land.
    For the most part yes. Some may require a different magazine. As long as the cartridge can fit in the chamber. Probably the most power you can get is in the .458 socom or the .50beowulf. There are a few others similar.

BTW, 300BLK is very similar energy to the .223/5.56 and only requires a different barrel.

throttletony

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jul 11, 2011
    nearby
    6.5 grendel..... :)

6.8, 300blk, 458socom, 450bushmaster, 50beowulf
    Theres even some 25 wssm, 25-45 sharps

All ok and pricey. Why not get a bolt gun in .243??

Alpo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 23, 2014
    Indy Metro Area
    We got 2 hogs out west with my 300 BLK. Ammunition selection is probably the key. We've had good success with PNW 125 gr ballistic tip.

throttletony

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jul 11, 2011
    nearby
    Would you be hunting within 75 yds??
    The big bore AR rounds don't carry well past 100 yds.

300blk will hit pigs hard enough at 150 or 200, but I wouldn't shoot past that (supersonic, btw). Az was stated above, the 300blk is a bit more powerful, but it's not drastic, and it's only because of the heavier bullet.

If i had to use an AR, I'd find a nice 69, 72,75, 77 gr bullet that my barrel likes and call it a day.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    Thanks guys. Looking around it looks I can get a 6.8 II upper for less than half the cost of an entirely new rifle. And the round looks like it will handle larger game handily. Sure, I dont have near the caliber choices, but a 6.8 would do.

Would you be hunting within 75 yds??
    The big bore AR rounds don't carry well past 100 yds.

300blk will hit pigs hard enough at 150 or 200, but I wouldn't shoot past that (supersonic, btw). Az was stated above, the 300blk is a bit more powerful, but it's not drastic, and it's only because of the heavier bullet.

If i had to use an AR, I'd find a nice 69, 72,75, 77 gr bullet that my barrel likes and call it a day.

I considered that, but many places I am looking at (casually so far) wont allow a standard AR at all even with a heavier bullet, but some will accept the larger caliber options.

two70

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Feb 5, 2016
    Johnson
    Thanks guys. Looking around it looks I can get a 6.8 II upper for less than half the cost of an entirely new rifle. And the round looks like it will handle larger game handily. Sure, I dont have near the caliber choices, but a 6.8 would do.

I considered that, but many places I am looking at (casually so far) wont allow a standard AR at all even with a heavier bullet, but some will accept the larger caliber options.

IMO, you are looking in the right direction by looking at the 6.8 as it offers the best blend of performance and convenience of conversion for hunting. The .450 Bushmaster would be another good option but it is more toward the big bore in a small case level of performance provided by the .458 SOCOM or .50 Beowulf. However, as was mentioned previously, a .223 with good bullets will work just fine for hog hunting if you can find a place that will let you hunt with it. Also, I don't know where you are looking to hunt but I can tell you that there are plenty of public land hog hunting opportunities in eastern Texas that offer a good chance of success with a little bit of homework.

Excalibur

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   2   0
    May 11, 2012
    NWI
    You could just use a different bullet if you are sticking to 5.56. If it's a shorter barrel, heavier bullet is better...unless I am wrong

Sling10mm

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 12, 2012
    I shoot a lot of 6.8, and plan to use it for deer this coming season.

It will require a new bolt, barrel, and magazine. If you are looking to build your own upper, you might consider an AR Performance barrel. I have an 18" SPR barrel from them, and have shot 3/8" groups at 100 yards, and 3/4" groups at 200 yards with it, and consider myself just an average shooter. This was off of a bench and bag (of course) using hand loaded Hornady 120 gr SST's.

two70

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Feb 5, 2016
    Johnson
    You could just use a different bullet if you are sticking to 5.56. If it's a shorter barrel, heavier bullet is better...unless I am wrong

Heavier is one way to go but not the only. I prefer a tougher, lighter bullet like a Barnes over a heavier bullet myself.

I shoot a lot of 6.8, and plan to use it for deer this coming season.

It will require a new bolt, barrel, and magazine. If you are looking to build your own upper, you might consider an AR Performance barrel. I have an 18" SPR barrel from them, and have shot 3/8" groups at 100 yards, and 3/4" groups at 200 yards with it, and consider myself just an average shooter. This was off of a bench and bag (of course) using hand loaded Hornady 120 gr SST's.

I second the AR Performance barrel recommendation if you go the 6.8 route.

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    7.62x39 is always another option.
    You can get a much heavier bullet than the 5.56 that way.
    You would need a new barrel, bolt, and magazine.
    A standard bolt carrier will work, as well as the buffer system.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    Thanks, guys. I'd simply buy/build an entire new upper to swap out. I wouldn't cannibalize my existing 5.56 upper.

And looking at who makes complete uppers, I'll be building my own. They are salty when I look at who makes complete uppers using the barrel Sling recommended. wow.

Spyco

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 26, 2012
    NWI
    Its my understanding that if I wanted to swap out my AR to something with a bit more punch like 300blk or 6.8 would simply require a new upper, correct? Same lowers, mags, etc? (I know moving to 308 or larger would require a new lower as it puts it into AR10 territory)

Considering starting to look for a possible hunting rifle that wouldnt break the bank for stuff that 5.56 just wouldnt cut it. (hogs, etc)

The 300blk or 25-45 sharps only need a new upper. The rest need a new upper, bolt, and usually new mags. I have a 6.8spc personal build that is great to shoot, but the 10rnd mag for was 40 bucks. Barrel was $160 and $50 for the bolt. The 45 cal cartridges and up have their own issues being really expensive to feed. If you are looking to hunt in Indiana with such a setup, you need the big bore cartridges, otherwise you are stuck with out of state hunting for the other calibers.

halfmileharry

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Dec 2, 2010
    South of Indy

A hunting caliber would have to fall within DNR regs, right?
    What, where, etc?

two70

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Feb 5, 2016
    Johnson
    If you are looking to hunt in Indiana with such a setup, you need the big bore cartridges, otherwise you are stuck with out of state hunting for the other calibers.

A hunting caliber would have to fall within DNR regs, right?
    What, where, etc?

You guys are aware that all rifle cartridges with bullets .243 diameter and larger but with a case length of 3" or less are now legal for deer hunting on private land in Indiana, right?

natdscott

User Unknown
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 20, 2015
    Easiest in the normal range is the 6.5 Grendel. BEST, I say, is probably the 6mm AR.

The large bore cartridges are still, basically, big pistols.

-Nate

Top Bottom