• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • DanVoils

Master
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Feb 20, 2010
    Asking for a friend but is there any interest in a proper M4 style AR in .17hmr? Are any available? All I've seen are bolt action guns.

Bigtanker

Cuddles
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Aug 21, 2012
    Osceola
    One reason most are bolt action is getting that round to work in a semi-auto has been troublesome kn the past. Savage did it but from what I've heard, unless you use the A17 ammo meant for the rifle (can't remember the brand) it doesn't run it's best.

The A17 ammo is a bit hotter than the standard stuff to get the action to cycle.

dugsagun

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2013
    portage
    I have the savage a17. It looks like a plastic piece of , well . lameness. With winchester ammo, it sucked. with cci ammo and hornady ammo, it rocks and makes u forget how ugly it is. I plan to buy a wood stock for it in august. So if yer buds looking for a semiauto in 17hmr, the savage is definitely cheaper.

Ggreen

Person
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Sep 19, 2016
    SouthEast
    I looked into this for a while and the consensus of those who spent the money was to get an a17. I ended up with a bmag in 17wsm. I'm wondering if wsm would have more consistent results in a semi auto than hmr.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    One reason most are bolt action is getting that round to work in a semi-auto has been troublesome kn the past. Savage did it but from what I've heard, unless you use the A17 ammo meant for the rifle (can't remember the brand) it doesn't run it's best.

The A17 ammo is a bit hotter than the standard stuff to get the action to cycle.

Did CZ make a semi in .17 a while back. I believe I have seen one but never shot. I understand they were troublesome due to the shape/nature of the round but that is 2nd hand info. Nothing solid.

DanVoils

Master
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Feb 20, 2010
    I looked into this for a while and the consensus of those who spent the money was to get an a17. I ended up with a bmag in 17wsm. I'm wondering if wsm would have more consistent results in a semi auto than hmr.

Consistent in what way? Feeding? Grouping? This is info for a completely new design.
    If there was one available in the $500 range is it something that would be financially viable to buy? Looking at an M4 format. Quad rail, Mil-spec collapsible stock, A2 birdcage (1/2x28 threads), 20 round proprietary mags, 4150 parkerized steel barrel (not sure of twist), Mil-spec FCG that accepts drop in units as well other upgraded FCG's, aluminum lower and upper, and a flat top upper. These are only thoughts right now.
    I'm thinking this would work great for Coyote hunting. Especially if a .22 suppressor would work decently on it.

Bigtanker

Cuddles
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Aug 21, 2012
    Osceola

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Consistent in what way? Feeding? Grouping? This is info for a completely new design.
    If there was one available in the $500 range is it something that would be financially viable to buy? Looking at an M4 format. Quad rail, Mil-spec collapsible stock, A2 birdcage (1/2x28 threads), 20 round proprietary mags, 4150 parkerized steel barrel (not sure of twist), Mil-spec FCG that accepts drop in units as well other upgraded FCG's, aluminum lower and upper, and a flat top upper. These are only thoughts right now.
    I'm thinking this would work great for Coyote hunting. Especially if a .22 suppressor would work decently on it.

Suppressing the .17 is possible. I know of 2 that have been. The round is supersonic so you will get the crack downrange.

55fairlane

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 15, 2016
    New Haven
    The Alexander arms upper is well made, but they don't seem to be near as accurate as a bolt gun......

I looked at .17's and here is MHO for how pricey they are, I'm either gonna step down, shoot my 22LR or step up and shoot 9mm or 223 ..........just my thoughts

Aaron

Top Bottom