• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • sgreen3

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Jan 19, 2011
    Scottsburg,In
    Its taken me quite sometime to come up with what id call a "perfect go to AR15" carbine for myself. After changing and trying different things over the last I don't even know how many years, like most of us do I always end up coming back to the most simplest and bare bones setup for my primary carbine. This is how I've had mine setup for a while now and seems to be the best blend of "do all" that I've been able to get. Granted there is never going to be one rifle that will everything great, I think for me running this pinned 14.5" carbine with Leupold 1-4 optic in a lightweight mount and CMC trigger, this setup does a lot of things pretty dang well.. What are some of your "Perfect" carbine setups?....

[video=youtube;zW-JB2zpzWc]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zW-JB2zpzWc[/video]

halfmileharry

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Dec 2, 2010
    South of Indy
    Mine's very similar except for the optics. I run an Aimpoint Comp M3 OR Leupold 2x7, a BCM 13" handguard, Harris Bipod.
    I'm comfortable with the MOE stock and grip with storage. Nice set up.

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    Lightweight, clean, no crap on the gun. Leave the Exploder off the upper.

Trigger, sights, a sling, pencil barrel, maybe a way to mount a light.

I like a grip that eliminates the gap, maybe a TangoDown or Duckbill. I really like the BCM charging handle. Big fan of the Magpul CTR stock too.

Katana 1.0 by RJ was right up my alley.

I have a couple of these with the addition of CTR stocks:

Shootrite_Katana_1.jpg

Last edited:

sgreen3

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Jan 19, 2011
    Scottsburg,In
    Mine's very similar except for the optics. I run an Aimpoint Comp M3 OR Leupold 2x7, a BCM 13" handguard, Harris Bipod.
    I'm comfortable with the MOE stock and grip with storage. Nice set up.

Thanks, yea I agree I know there are maybe better stocks out there but I just cant break myself away from the ole work horse MOE stuff. I actually used a 2-7x Redfield scope for about a year on it also, I liked that setup a lot also..

sgreen3

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Jan 19, 2011
    Scottsburg,In
    Lightweight, clean, no crap on the gun. Leave the Exploder off the upper.

Trigger, sights, a sling, pencil barrel, maybe a way to mount a light.

I like a grip that eliminates the gap, maybe a TangoDown or Duckbill. I really like the BCM charging handle. Big fan of the Magpul CTR stock too.

Katana 1.0 by RJ was right up my alley.

I have a couple of these with the addition of CTR stocks:

Shootrite_Katana_1.jpg

I agree, If there would be anything Id change out on this rifle it may be the barrel for a lighter profile, but Ive become kinda partial to the CL CHF barrel that's on this upper. Nice setup BTW...

halfmileharry

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Dec 2, 2010
    South of Indy
    Thanks, yea I agree I know there are maybe better stocks out there but I just cant break myself away from the ole work horse MOE stuff. I actually used a 2-7x Redfield scope for about a year on it also, I liked that setup a lot also..

I prefer the BCM 13" forward guard for forward bipods, lights, etc. Other than that I like the regular MOE carbine handguard

SSGSAD

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Dec 22, 2009
    Town of 900 miles
    I have a "stock" Colt Match, with a red dot and a sling .....

Extra weight in the buttstock .....

For me it is "perfect" .....

In case of shtf, I would lose the extra weight, if on foot .....

Sighted in at 200 yards .....

Dean C.

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 25, 2013
    Westfield
    UQAyxdQh.jpg

Pretty hard to beat this set up as a "general purpose" rig IMHO , only thing I think I am going to do is add a VLTOR stock as the LWRC stock is just a tad bit "rattly"

sgreen3

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Jan 19, 2011
    Scottsburg,In
    I prefer the BCM 13" forward guard for forward bipods, lights, etc. Other than that I like the regular MOE carbine handguard

I hear that, I really like the MI light weight rails. I just cant bring myself to change this one out as Ive had it this way forever now. Although I did duracoat it a week or so ago..

sgreen3

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Jan 19, 2011
    Scottsburg,In
    I did change up my rifle a little bit about a week ago and tried my hand at Duracoat for the first time. Really love the finish still need to coat the scope mount and scope but over all very happy with how it turned out. Although one thing I didn't anticipate that the Duracoat "Magpul foliage green" is a bit different tint than the Duracoat Magpul foliage green.... Not a deal breaker though I still think it looks pretty good, its kinda different so make me like it a bit more lol.

Duracoated_Frankengun.jpg

Last edited:

The Bubba Effect

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    May 13, 2010
    High Rockies
    14.5" pencil 1/7,
    light weight mlock free float (I don't remember how long it is, but it extends to the rear of the flashhider, this let me push the front sight all the way forward, way past the gas block. I like the sight radius this gives me), low pro gas block, pinned flash hider.
    CTR stock, aimpoint micro, ambi safety, surefire scout light (direct activation, no tape switch and cable), bcm medium gunfighter charging handle, soe 2-1 convertible bungee, backup/flipup iron sights, Ergo Grip, ALG milspec trigger: Not a light trigger, not fancy, but exactly what I want in this rifle (gritty for the first 1,000 or so rounds, nice now).

I have been toying with the idea of adding a twist mount base behind the micro. That would let me occasionally add a magnifier or my NVD behind the micro.

This is the first lower I ever assembled and I put it together sitting on my bedroom floor with a framing hammer, hemostats, needle nosed pliers, two wood blocks and about 1.5 black sharpies. I have had some really good times with this rifle and I like it. It shoots as well as I can, it is quick to point and I think I have broken off all the things that will break off.

I have developed a real aversion to heavier AR-15's for general use. Where the AR-15 really shines is that it is about 38,000 ftlbs of party in a 7.5lb package. If I were going much heavier, I would bump up the caliber.

Last edited:

sgreen3

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Jan 19, 2011
    Scottsburg,In
    14.5" pencil 1/7,
    light weight mlock free float (I don't remember how long it is, but it extends to the rear of the flashhider, this let me push the front sight all the way forward, way past the gas block. I like the sight radius this gives me), low pro gas block, pinned flash hider.
    CTR stock, aimpoint micro, ambi safety, surefire scout light (direct activation, no tape switch and cable), bcm medium gunfighter charging handle, soe 2-1 convertible bungee, backup/flipup iron sights, Ergo Grip, ALG milspec trigger: Not a light trigger, not fancy, but exactly what I want in this rifle (gritty for the first 1,000 or so rounds, nice now).

I have been toying with the idea of adding a twist mount base behind the micro. That would let me occasionally add a magnifier or my NVD behind the micro.

This is the first lower I ever assembled and I put it together sitting on my bedroom floor with a framing hammer, hemostats, needle nosed pliers, two wood blocks and about 1.5 black sharpies. I have had some really good times with this rifle and I like it. It shoots as well as I can, it is quick to point and I think I have broken off all the things that will break off.

I have developed a real aversion to heavier AR-15's for general use. Where the AR-15 really shines is that it is about 38,000 ftlbs of party in a 7.5lb package. If I were going much heavier, I would bump up the caliber.

I couldn't agree more. If I'm going to have a carbine that weighs over 7.5lbs, I'm just going to use my 308 carbine and have the added benefit of a better cartridge for more range and barrier defeating capability.

Cerberus

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 27, 2011
    Floyd County
    I'm thinking of making myself overcome my long held bias in favor of the GI front sight post. Seriously kicking around the idea of free floating my current cheap AR. Fired a friends free floated AR yesterday and really liked it. Was quite shocked that I did.

Last edited:

sgreen3

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Jan 19, 2011
    Scottsburg,In
    I'm thinking of making myself overcome my long held bias in favor of the GI front sight post. Seriously kicking around the idea of free floating my current cheap AR. Fired a friends free floated AR yesterday and really liked it. Was quite shocked that I did.

Yea its funny how our tasts change over time. I always seem to find something out about my setup every time I take it out it seems..

nrgrams

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jun 3, 2013
    Columbus
    My perfect AR setup always includes BUIS, a good quality light, and an optic of some sort, probably an Aimpoint micro or a variable optic (1 x whatever). A TRUE PERFECT AR setup would also include a TRUE ambi lower to not just include a bolt release, but a bolt catch as well (LWRC, ADM, RADIAN lower). If we're at it, and it is going to be perfect, include a Geissele in it as well.

rvb

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 14, 2009
    IN (a refugee from MD)
    "perfect setup" depends on use....

but regardless, all my "good" ARs have
    1) good 2-stage trigger
    2) magpul MOE+ grip
    3) BAD short throw safety (left side lever only)
    4) BCM Mod 4 CH
    5) VTAC 2 point sling (on guns that need em, not all uses need a sling)
    6) free float barrel
    6a) Extended Handguards to cover as much of the barrel as possible
    7) Guns with defensive use in mind get a light (not needed on competition rifles)
    8) Guns with defensive use in mind get back up irons (not needed on competition rifles)

Optics vary, again depending on use.
    Barrel lengths vary, again depending on use (shorter is generally better, I try to keep the balance point as far back as possible).

I hedged whether to add silencer to the list.... heavy, makes the gun longer, but oh so nice to have. I guess I look at it more like the optics, depends on use.

-rvb

Last edited:

rvb

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 14, 2009
    IN (a refugee from MD)
    If you don't mind rifle length, you can use the GI front sight and float the handguard. I used this for "Service Rifle"...National Match Service Rifle Float Tube/Handguard Kit - $150.00 : Compass Lake Engineering, Best choice of weapons and accessories

There are lots of ways to float a barrel with a GI style front sight, other than with CMP style float tubes. Lots of FF handguards are the right length to work behind the GI sight. And there are FF handguards notched out to extend longer than the GI sight. Some require the GI sight to be removed and re-installed after the HG is installed.

-rvb

Top Bottom