• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Blindside

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 17, 2015
    Columbus
    Looking for opinions for cleaning the bore of my rifle. Should I use the brass/nylon brush set up or is a bore snake good? I honestly just realized that the kit I have doesn't have anything small enough to fit down the barrel so I am going to get new stuff.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 11, 2012
    01001111 01001000
    I keep my bore snake in my range bag with a small bottle of Hoppes 9. When the rifle has a chance to cool for a few minutes, I'll run the snake down it. It's worked wonders for me. You can't beat the convenience of the snake. Maybe it's a bit much for some of the opinions on this site, but I'm not running a precision rig and I like to keep things clean. The Bore Snake makes it stupid simple.

Bapak2ja

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 17, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    Anyone ever have a bore snake jam in the barrel? It is a major headache. I liked the snake, but it jammed in my 10/22 and I had to jerry-rig a screw with a pull-line to screw into the end of the snake and pull it out. I was very concerned I damaged the inside of the barrel or chamber, but inspection revealed no damage.

If you use the snake. be careful NOT to pull it tight if it will not proceed through easily. Other than that, snake is very useful.

The Bubba Effect

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    May 13, 2010
    High Rockies
    Anyone ever have a bore snake jam in the barrel? It is a major headache. I liked the snake, but it jammed in my 10/22 and I had to jerry-rig a screw with a pull-line to screw into the end of the snake and pull it out. I was very concerned I damaged the inside of the barrel or chamber, but inspection revealed no damage.

If you use the snake. be careful NOT to pull it tight if it will not proceed through easily. Other than that, snake is very useful.

I never had a bore snake jam, but I have had a cable from OTIS get jammed before. How the heck did you get a bore snake stuck?

OP: I use myboresnakes often and have been doing it for a bit. I have seen no problems. I do think they wear out and I can see how a dirty boresnake could drag grit through the barrel, degrading it. I occasionally wash mine off with dish soap.

Cerberus

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 27, 2011
    Floyd County
    OP, to keep the AR running like a top is quite simple, as you may already know. Rods and brushes are not absolutely necessary for everyday cleaning duties, but are good for what I call annual cleaning. For a quick after range cleaning just wipe down the bolt group and re-oil with oil of choice, wipe down exterior with a lightly oiled rag, and run the oiled bore snake thru the barrel a couple of times. Once a year or so, maybe twice a year if you run it real heavily give it a good thorough cleaning with the rods and brushes.

Opie

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    61   0   0
    Feb 2, 2013
    Evansville
    In my opinion if you are running a chrome lined barrel and non corrosive ammo then not much is needed. I run a bore snake down mine every once in a while. I do clean and lube the BCG and chamber more often.

natdscott

User Unknown
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 20, 2015
    WipeOut foam + time + patches on a jag only. Brush if it's a crappy barrel. Do not scrub back and forth.

BoreSnakes don't really clean everything, they just drag out what you can see. I use one on rimfire to shorten the process of changing between ammo types.

98m3s2k

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 3, 2015
    Jeffersonville
    I use a Boresnake with great results. I am thinking about trying one of those Boresnake Vipers. It has 2 brushes on it. Anybody use one of these?

IndyTom

Expert
    Rating - 87.5%
    7   1   0
    Oct 3, 2013
    Fishers
    I saw some bad reviews about the Vipers on Amazon. I want to say it was the .22 model being too difficult to pull through but that the bigger caliber ones worked well (primarily on pistols, IIRC).

LarryC

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 18, 2012
    Frankfort
    I have a couple of bore snakes. I think they do a reasonable job on the bench when shooting and desiring a clean bore to clear when change ammo or oter reasons. However I have cleaned a .30 cal rifle with the bore snake (with Clp) then checked the results by using my normal method of cleaning with brass brushes and jags with patches (using bore cleaner while using the brushes and patches). I was pretty surprised by the amount of fouling that remained after the bore snake was used. Since then I have only used the snake while at the range.... I am a little OCD about keeping my firearm collection very clean and oiled as my youngest son and I collect firearms and may leave some in the safe for months while shooting others.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Dhlawson
    Top Bottom