• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Gabriel

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jun 3, 2010
    The shore of wonderful Lake Michigan
    These an good? I know it's a general question, but Primary Arms is having a sale on them and I happen ot have a spare AR that I wouldn't mind converting to 22 since I don't do anything else with it. It is 1/7 twist, though. I was wondering if the conversion would make it a good little accurate rifle, or if the conversions have inherent accuracy flaws and are just for general plinking to save money on 5.56.

BiscuitsandGravy

Future 'shootered'
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Nov 8, 2016
    At the Ranch.
    I picked up a conversion kit from the classifieds a few years ago... IMO- They are good for plinking. They like hotter .22LR such as M-22.

If the price is right, they are fun.

YMMV.

:ingo:

natdscott

User Unknown
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 20, 2015
    Conversion kits installed in NATO barrels are kinda crappy. They would be okay for close-in room clearing drills or something, but at any distance, the 7-twist fairly well sprays targets of any kind.

Have you ever put a brick through an AR with one of these units? Trust me, if you're going to go to the trouble of recleaning the ENTIRE lower of all the carbon, wax, unburnt powder, primer residue, etc... you'd really like the rifle to perform.

Now then. The CMMG conversions, stripped down, and installed in DEDICATED uppers are a different story. THOSE are awesome.

Functionally, there's never been anything wrong with the CMMG etc. units. The issue is the barrels they are installed into as conversions, and the fact that the bullet has to jump ~1" through that chamber adapter before it starts engraving....and .22LR doesn't tolerate that very well.

-Nate

snorko

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    362   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    Evansville, IN
    For the price I think they are generally good. If you plan on shooting a lot or want more accuracy, get a CMMG or Tacsol complete .22LR upper. I have a CMMG and it is totally reliable, shoots around an inch or so at 50 yards and converted my nephews to gun nuts.

JDimitri

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 29, 2017
    Crown Point
    The one thing you will have to worry about is that the bolt is a direct blow back operation. So, you might have some malfunctions in cycling with any gas that goes through the gas port into the tube.

JDimitri

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 29, 2017
    Crown Point
    I know I have a dedicated barrel that I bought when I was going with a quick change barrel system. Now that I changed my mind on that route, I have do not need mine anymore.

Top Bottom