• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • JDimitri

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 29, 2017
    Crown Point
    I see a lot of threads for traditional long gun owners here. Tried doing a search for any bullpup threads. Since I got no results from the search, I thought I would ask here if there are any individuals that do own bullpups?

IndyTom

Expert
    Rating - 87.5%
    7   1   0
    Oct 3, 2013
    Fishers
    There are such individuals, myself included, and there are some threads here and there. I've seen multiple Tavor (SAR / X95) owners, there are (were?) a couple of AUGs in the classifieds (which means someone owns them, currently :) ) and various other.

223 Gunner

Master
    Rating - 100%
    200   0   0
    Jan 7, 2009
    Red Sector A
    Bullpup triggers traditionally suck, I currently own two, a Tavor and a PS90. Both rifles have a "cool" factor to them, and they both have terrible triggers.
    Yes there are some nice after market triggers for the Tavor, but I am not willing to drop the coin on them.

I'm still an AR guy when it comes to a home defense carbine. Or the PS90 fills that roll nicely as well.

knutty

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Aug 5, 2016
    Noblesville
    I have two AUGS. They are fantastic rifles. You have to handle, shoot and disassemble one to really appreciate it. Ultra reliable and clean running, requires minimal cleaning and lubrication.

Like everything, there are some downsides. Triggers aren't great but not as bad as some make them out. Relatively long LOP. Mounting slings and weapon lights are usually less than ideal but can be made to work. Ergonomics are not as intuitive as an AR, mag changes and using the charging handle are much slower for me. Also they are quite heavy.

eric001

Vaguely well-known member
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Apr 3, 2011
    Indianapolis
    As of today, I'm the proud owner of a Tavor with a Geissele trigger group. There is absolutely no suck in that combination! Sweet rifle and it's a natural fit for me.

russc2542

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Oct 24, 2015
    Columbus
    YO

I have a Tavor X95. The trigger gets better as you use it... or maybe you just get used to it. Keep in mind it's a different intended purpose than a custom AR15 target rifle. ARs and other conventional rifles have some advantages, Bullpups have other advantages.

As for the weight, they're not featherweights but they're hardly heavy. Because the CG is closer to your body they're easier to hold up for long periods. My wisp of a wife can only get off a few shots from the AR before she has to lower it but she can hold the Tavor up for a whole mag.

venenoindy

Master
    Rating - 100%
    71   0   0
    Jul 14, 2009
    Noblesville
    I was seriously looking into one not to long ago, the first turn off was the trigger, the second is every one has proprietary parts so once you encounter an issue it may take longer to get parts. There is platforms that have been around for a while that have stablished themselves as reliable but even then still more complicated to get them service or get parts, what was final for me was that I got a top tier AR for almost half the price of most bullpups.

Last edited:

JDimitri

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 29, 2017
    Crown Point
    I have looked at several options, I want a bullpup because of its shorter length overall. I have heard of the trigger troubles, but reading and seeing about K&M arms and a couple of other newer manufacturers working on that, I am more inclined to get one. My only problem right now is I would love to find one in 6.5 grendel. I know, don't hold my breath.

Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Danville

tv1217

N6OTB
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 11, 2009
    Kouts
    I know for a fact that the MSAR STG556(a Steyr AUG clone) can swap the bolt and ejection port cover to make it left handed. I think the Tavor is like that too.

russc2542

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Oct 24, 2015
    Columbus
    My weakness is that I'm a lefty... REALLY limits my choices. (Unless I like hot brass to the face. LOL)

BRASS CATCHER since you're going to use it again anyway, right! the velcro strap caldwell works quite well on my X95, the pic-rail one doesn't match the rail-ejection port height.

snowman

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jul 5, 2010
    Bremen, IN
    How about the KelTec RDB? I've fondled one but never shot it. It's a lot cheaper that the Aug or Tavor, I seen them sell on gunbroker for $900. I wonder if it's more bang for you buck?

Dimitrivich

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 18, 2017
    Unknown
    How about the KelTec RDB? I've fondled one but never shot it. It's a lot cheaper that the Aug or Tavor, I seen them sell on gunbroker for $900. I wonder if it's more bang for you buck?

I have a RFB and a RDB. Initially, I didnt like KelTec when I owned a Sub2000. But now I am in love. My RFB has an AMAZING trigger. And the RFB has been 100% reliable. People complain about the gas systems on these two KelTecs, but they must not have read the manual on how to set the gas system. If you take a few moments to understand the system and set it properly, you'll probably love shooting them, also.

russc2542

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Oct 24, 2015
    Columbus

No shooting experience with the KelTecs but from handling at the gun show they certainly feel cheaper and less solid than my X95. Certainly look cheaper. I'd guess a lot of it is the certification and mil-specness: KelTec might have tested an example to X number of rounds, IWI has tested 50 guns to Y rounds in Z conditions (and then a few more) to exceed mil-spec. Not saying they're bad at all but the Tavor and Aug have proven themselves in multiple militaries in some harsh environments. Civilian use won't wear any of them out.

Top Bottom