ACOG Mounted on AR-15 Carry Handle How do I Zero it in?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Blissm

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 28, 2012
    I'm a newbie with this ACOG and with it mounted on my AR-15 carry handle I'm uncertain where to start relative to sighting it in. What am I supposed to align the dot with? The end of the barrel sight? The ACOG Dot is far too high for that, and that's with it adjusted all the way down. So far, I've not been able to find any tutorial videos that offer entry level instruction for the beginner. I'm an experienced shooter, I'm just new to using scopes. Any help is greatly appreciated.

knutty

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Aug 5, 2016
    Noblesville
    Boresight it

Remove the complete upper receiver and bolt carrier group, now you can see down the bore. Find a spot outside and pick an object about 50 yards out. Line up the bore with the object and try to keep the upper from moving around. Use some sandbags, towels or shooting rests. Then adjust the scope until it lines up with the object the bore is sighted on, make sure you double check that the bore is still centered on the object while making adjustments. This should at least get you on paper.

Blissm

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 28, 2012
    I tried that. I may have stated my problem in error. Just now when I sighted in on my target using the iron sights that the gun came with, I am finding that I am unable to adjust the ACOG UPWARDS enough to align with the same target. The dot falls well below the target. I attempted this with the entire Lower removed with the bore resting on a box. No rounds fired yet to determine where it's actually going to hit, and I am aiming at a slightly downhill target if that matters? I'm assuming "bore" sight it means factory iron sights?

Last edited:

Ggreen

Person
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Sep 19, 2016
    SouthEast
    I tried that. I may have stated my problem in error. Just now when I sighted in on my target using the iron sights that the gun came with, I am finding that I am unable to adjust the ACOG UPWARDS enough to align with the same target. The dot falls well below the target. I attempted this with the entire Lower removed with the bore resting on a box. No rounds fired yet to determine where it's actually going to hit, and I am aiming at a slightly downhill target if that matters? I'm assuming "bore" sight it means factory iron sights?

no it means to sight the optic with the bore of the rifle. You will not co witness a handle mounted optic with the front sight block. Take your upper off of the lower with the optic mounted.
    secure it in some sort of mount. steadier the better
    Remove the bolt and look through the bore at a mark in the distance
    look through the scope and align the reticle with that same mark in the distance
    this will put you close enough to zero

Bigtanker

Cuddles
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Aug 21, 2012
    Osceola
    Did you mount the ACOG on top of the carry handle like this?
    trijiconacogoncarryhandle.jpg

Or like this?

CTR_ACOG.jpg

42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in
    Just shoot it, and see whats happening. 99% of the time if you mount a scope, and shoot it without messing with the adjustments first you are within a couple inch's at 25 yds. Zero at 25, then move out.

Brad69

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 16, 2016
    Perry county
    In the 90,s before flattop was the norm we were issued a "goose neck" adapter to mount optics ?

I have no no idea if they are still made they worked ok not great.

Brad69

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 16, 2016
    Perry county
    The M68 offset for carrying handle is 1.4 cm at 25 meters ACOG should be close.

NOTE: When the ACOG is attached to the carrying handle, the bullet drop compensated (BDC)reticle will be off slightly at extended distances. For example, at 500 meters, the impact will be5 inches high; at 600 meters, the impact will be 6 inches high. To compensate for this, aimslightly low once the target is ranged beyond 400 meters.

FM 3-22.9

I may have spent way to much time in the Army?

Last edited:

Cerberus

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 27, 2011
    Floyd County
    Brad, yes it can be done and in the old days we just coped with stuff. That being said, now that flat tops uppers are the norm and A2 uppers carry a little bit of a premium for retro guys, either change the upper to something that works better or keep the old rifle intact and get another rifle to mount glass on. As I see it, that is a win-win.

patience0830

.22 magician
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 96.6%
    28   1   0
    Nov 3, 2008
    Not far from the tree
    if your ACOG is mounted on the carry handle, it will not co-witness with the front sight. Entirely different line of sight/line of flight intersection.

You'll zero the sights THEN you'll zero the ACOG as a separate system.

Clamp the rifle in a vise, fire a round into a large white board at 50 yds. Then move the ACOG dot/reticle to where the bullet hit. (Hint: the adjustments will be reversed from the l/r, up/down markings)
    Fine tune from there.

Flat top upper and back-up set of irons are easier to deal with and will give you a better cheek weld.

mammynun

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Oct 30, 2009
    New Albany
    The M68 offset for carrying handle is 1.4 cm at 25 meters ACOG should be close.

NOTE: When the ACOG is attached to the carrying handle, the bullet drop compensated (BDC)reticle will be off slightly at extended distances. For example, at 500 meters, the impact will be5 inches high; at 600 meters, the impact will be 6 inches high. To compensate for this, aimslightly low once the target is ranged beyond 400 meters.

FM 3-22.9

I may have spent way to much time in the Army?

I was referring to eye relief more than height over bore.

Top Bottom