• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • sgreen3

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Jan 19, 2011
    Scottsburg,In
    Finally able to get one of the Howa HCR chassis rifles out for review and man I'm so glad I got one. My offering is in 243, but they come in 223,308, and 6.5 Creedmoor as well. It shot awesome out of the box and the chassis puts recoil straight back into the shoulder for a very controllable rig. I topped it with an Athlon Argos BTR 6-24x50 set in some Burris XTR rings and I have to say its one of the nicest setups I've had for no more than was spent. I really like the Accurate Mag chassis as it just feels very well built and the addition of the forend I think is a very nice touch. These rifles are cheaper than the Stealth and RPR and shoot and come with a steel AI mag, which is a very nice as these mags arn't cheap. Accuracy was spot on out of the box even during break-in posting sub MOA accuracy. Along with other Sub-MOA groups posted in the review video shooting nothing more than cheap hunting ammo. Only downside to me personally is I wish they'd used the fixed Luth AR rifle stock instead of the adjustable one. As the adjustable one has some wobble, but its not a deal breaker. For anyone looking for a extremely accurate well built chassis rifle out of the box, the Howa is defiantly one to take a look at.

HCR_243.jpg

These were from barrel break in at 110yrds, not bad for the first shots out of the rifle.
    HCR_break_in_target.jpg

[video=youtube;H58v4BjWy34]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H58v4BjWy34[/video]

halfmileharry

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Dec 2, 2010
    South of Indy
    Great write up. I'm a .243 fan and might check out the Howa HCR you're shooting. It's in the budget, looks to be performing excellent for a new rifle and seems to eat about anything at that range.
    I wonder if you couldn't install some sort of set screw to solidify the stock to the tube? I just don't think a nice bench rifle should have that wobble. That's just me though.

sgreen3

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Jan 19, 2011
    Scottsburg,In
    Great write up. I'm a .243 fan and might check out the Howa HCR you're shooting. It's in the budget, looks to be performing excellent for a new rifle and seems to eat about anything at that range.
    I wonder if you couldn't install some sort of set screw to solidify the stock to the tube? I just don't think a nice bench rifle should have that wobble. That's just me though.

Thanks, believe me I totally agree. Like I said I really wish they would have used the fixed rifle version of the Luth stock. but I know their trying to market it to a lot of shooters but I think it would have helped the platform. Yea I'm not sure about the setscrew but I'm either going to do something to that effect or just swap it out for the fixed rifle version.

halfmileharry

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Dec 2, 2010
    South of Indy
    M-Lok, adjustable stock, yadda stuff.
    Market dictates a lot of these "options". I'm sure they're aiming at a particular market of potential buyers.
    I need a good .243 heavy shooter. My favorite rifle is an old '89 Winchester 70 pencil with laminate stock. Super deadly with 80 grainer SXTs and 34.8g of 4064. I know it's a bit on the light side of the load but the old manual I was using recommended that load. I loaded up 10 rds and it was putting them all together at 100. I never changed it out.
    It's only good for 5 spaced shots before it really creeps towards 10 oclock.
    I bought a 700 in .260 a couple of years ago and I've never mounted a glass to it. Guess I'm just partial to the .243. I love the 6mm calibers.

sgreen3

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Jan 19, 2011
    Scottsburg,In
    I'm the same way I have other calibers, but I always come back to 243. I got a Savage in 6.5 Creedmoor that's never had a round through it yet. I just always seem to gravitate to the 6mm cartridges as well.

sgreen3

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Jan 19, 2011
    Scottsburg,In
    As it turns out there IS in fact a way to cinch down the Luth adjustable stock on this howa. There is a setscrew built into the stock that I didn't even notice and is not advertised. One of my viewers brought it to my attention. This simple addition makes this rifle hands down a favorite now. It really locks the stock into place...

[video=youtube;2Fx-KS4IwOg]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Fx-KS4IwOg[/video]

halfmileharry

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Dec 2, 2010
    South of Indy
    Glad Howa put in a way to secure the stock. I won't say it didn't make sense to have it loose but there's a lot of things that don't make sense to me in this world.

sgreen3

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Jan 19, 2011
    Scottsburg,In
    Glad Howa put in a way to secure the stock. I won't say it didn't make sense to have it loose but there's a lot of things that don't make sense to me in this world.

Very true, but no it didn't make sense, lol. Not sure why youd have a "precision bolt gun" with a wobbly butt stock, but this defiantly makes up for that...

sgreen3

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Jan 19, 2011
    Scottsburg,In
    Got a chance to mess around yesterday with some of that Factory loaded Browning ammo in the 65gr polymer tipped variety. I have to say for an ammo I've never used it shoots very well. I may have to pick up a few more boxes to keep around. I'm going to have to get some 65gr Vmax to load and try now...

This was 5 shots at 275yrds, not bad for a factory load...

HCR_Grp_at_275yrds.jpg

Top Bottom