Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Help me diagnose my goofy AR issue

And then you can rail on me for not having the money for better parts.

That said:

Took both of my AR rifles down to a little slice of paradise in Brown County on Saturday, along with a buddy and his rifle, in order to sight-in A) his new LWRC + Vortex Razor 1-6 and B) my home-build + Vortex PST 1-4. I also took along my "red dotted" rifle to plink with as well. My rifles will now be referred to as "RD" for Red Dot and "Scoped" for the, ahem, scoped one.

As said, this scoped one is a home-build. Anderson lower, upper, BCG, barrel. Probably an Anderson LPK, too, but I honestly cannot remember the brand of LPK. RD rifle just also happens to be an "Anderson Optic Ready" rifle - but with lots of mainly cosmetic mods. BCG, barrel, upper, lower, etc are all still Anderson.

Scoped rifle: Upon insertion of a loaded mag into the rifle with a closed bolt: The CH (BCM, by the way) retracts, bolt goes forward to strip a round, and that round is fully chambered as far as I can tell. This round will then also fire - but it will not extract all the way. The CH of this rifle is now difficult to retract and usually needs the aid of a hard surface to tap the butt-stock on in order to extract.

This is the same issue with the factory brass ZQI XM855 ammo that I have, same with my buddy's brass 55gr Prvi Partizan, and with my gracious host's brass 55gr reloads.

NOW: This rifle will run JUST FINE and as intended with by swapping the BCG for the one that normally lives in my RD rifle. Due to this, definitely don't think it's a gas issue. (Also, I believe that I put the "bad" bolt in the RD rifle - and also had issues - but I honestly cannot remember for sure)

SO: What's wrong with this scoped' rifle's bolt / BCG? What should I look for when I have a chance to really examine this rifle's bolt? Should I just tear down the bolt, clean/lube, reassemble, and then try it again?

Now you can A) help me, and B) make fun of me for only having an Anderson budget.
    Amazing Grace, how sweet was her sound.

Jet beams can't melt steel fuel.

I will not participate in the (B) part of your request, in that I respect living within one's means.

On, (A) do you know the specs on which BCG is which? I know you said "Anderson" but I'm not familiar enough with their products to know if they have different spec'd BCGs.
    Resident Warning Shot Statist.

I Care...Really

I have some Anderson uppers floating around in some of my rifles. Never an issue.
    I had exactly the same issues with my 10.5" AR on Saturday. It ran fine before I swapped out the BCG on the last shoot I attended (not sure why but it must have been important) and now it will fire the 1st round and gets jammed up in the ejection cycle.
    I did not swap in another BCG as yet. I did increase the gas supply and put new rings in the BCG.
    Will have to wait and see if this solved anything.

Quote Originally Posted by Tactically Fat View Post
    Scoped rifle: Upon insertion of a loaded mag into the rifle with a closed bolt: The CH (BCM, by the way) retracts, bolt goes forward to strip a round, and that round is fully chambered as far as I can tell. This round will then also fire - but it will not extract all the way. The CH of this rifle is now difficult to retract and usually needs the aid of a hard surface to tap the butt-stock on in order to extract.
    what if you don't fire it? Just chamber, then try to extract?

-rvb
    Ryan V. B. TY56060 Come shoot USPSA w Ft Wayne Area Practical Shooters: www.facebook.com/fwuspsa

If this is a new rifle/bcg, I would attempt to warranty the bcg.

If it's an older 'out of warranty' rifle that worked well previously, check to make sure the bcg's gas key is still securely fastened and check the bolts gas rings to make sure all three are still there and in good condition. Makes sure there is not excessive carbon build up on the bolt and in the bcg as well. Is the Extractor and it's spring still in good condition, cleaned and oiled? Might as well check that the bolt cam pin is not cracked while you have it apart.

How old of an Anderson lower? Is your buffer getting chewed out by the buffer detent?

Slice of paradise in brown county.....yeah....that right there would get you a rail instead of the AR issue

Quote Originally Posted by rvb View Post
    what if you don't fire it? Just chamber, then try to extract?

-rvb
    I honestly don't remember. I'm a pretty poor story teller.

Quote Originally Posted by gmcttr View Post
    If this is a new rifle/bcg, I would attempt to warranty the bcg.

If it's an older 'out of warranty' rifle that worked well previously, check to make sure the bcg's gas key is still securely fastened and check the bolts gas rings to make sure all three are still there and in good condition. Makes sure there is not excessive carbon build up on the bolt and in the bcg as well. Is the Extractor and it's spring still in good condition, cleaned and oiled? Might as well check that the bolt cam pin is not cracked while you have it apart.
    The BCG/Bolt were purchased last winter, assembled sometime early this year. First time firing it was this past Saturday. Gas key is definitely still staked - and staked well.

Quote Originally Posted by M67 View Post
    How old of an Anderson lower? Is your buffer getting chewed out by the buffer detent?

Slice of paradise in brown county.....yeah....that right there would get you a rail instead of the AR issue
    The lower is now pushing 2 years old. No issues that I can tell on the buffer end of things. Before we put the "good" bolt in the "bad rifle", we swapped the buffer - still same issues. Swapped back to the originals.

From the diagnostic steps you have taken, it certainly seems that the problem is with the bcg so either warranty/replace it or take the bcg and bolt apart, even though this was only the first firing, and look for the problem. I've have gas rings sheared off (probably got pushed out of place when the bolt was inserted into the carrier) on a bolt with very little use.

If you get around beech grove I'll be happy to look at it for you in person and help you with, of coarse
    free of charge for a fellow ingo'er. Pm me if so.

i won't make fun of you. I don't blame you for buying what you can buy at the time

Quote Originally Posted by gmcttr View Post
    From the diagnostic steps you have taken, it certainly seems that the problem is with the bcg so either warranty/replace it or take the bcg and bolt apart, even though this was only the first firing, and look for the problem. I've have gas rings sheared off (probably got pushed out of place when the bolt was inserted into the carrier) on a bolt with very little use.
    I will note that, at least upon casual observation, nothing jumped out as "goofy" when the BCG was removed and looked at. It'll need broken down and compared to a known good one for sure.

Quote Originally Posted by Trigger Time View Post
    If you get around beech grove I'll be happy to look at it for you in person and help you with, of coarse
    free of charge for a fellow ingo'er. Pm me if so.

i won't make fun of you. I don't blame you for buying what you can buy at the time
    I'll bring my Old Fashioned mix. I'll let you know, man. Thanks!

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast