• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • indy1919a4

Master
    Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Jan 7, 2011
    What to get if you had 35 bucks to blow...

rifles.gif

rob63

Master
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    May 9, 2013
    I love seeing the old ads!

Italian Vetterli Vitali Sniper Rifles; that's some salesmanship there!

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    That is a fun ad to look at, thanks for posting it.

I remember the gun shop in Glenwood, Il. having 55 gallon barrels stuffed full of Mausers and a few other long guns with one barrel being $20 and the other being $30. No one seemed to want to bother with them. Not many men really cared about military rifles at that time. Most would throw away the stocks, cut down the barrels and try to make "sporter" style hunting rifles. The long guns that were properly displayed on the shelves were beautiful walnut stocks with ornate engraving with the metal meticulously blues and polished. No sheet metal receivers, no black guns, and if you saw a plastic stock it was on a Remington Nylon 66 .22 rifle.

halfmileharry

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Dec 2, 2010
    South of Indy
    I hate seeing these ads again.
    At one time I owned DOZENS of these rifles. They were so cheap I would buy one every payday.
    The wife and I bought a small house and needed the extra bedroom for a soon to be coming kid.
    I sold every one of them. I bought mostly the K98s. That was my thing. They shot soooo nice.
    Ammo was cheap as well.
    I've got another big sad face and messed up mood now.

1775usmarine

Sleeper
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    81   0   0
    Feb 15, 2013
    IN
    Those 9.95 rifles would only cost 80.40 today not taking into effect supply and demand. Even the one for 34.95 would cost 281.27 in todays dollars.

edporch

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Oct 19, 2010
    Indianapolis
    Keep in mind that $1 in 1962 is equal to $8.16 today.
    $35 in 1962 equals $285.60 today.
    Still not terrible deals, even taking inflation into account.

indiucky

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Indy1919 and I had a time machine all set to go.....We asked doggydaddy to go with us....We had only one shot and Indy1919 and I had settled on 1960 as the best year to go to and stock up on surplus deals...We had been hitting coin and currency shops for weeks and had about $2500 between us of 1950's era silver certificates and coin....We hopped in and it took us back to 2014 in MY SHOP.....

We were POed!!!!! We asked doggydaddy what the heck he had done????? He said HE changed the time we were going to...He said he needed to fix something that happened then, a mistake he once made that he pays for still....

He then looked at Indy1919 and I with a very serious face and said...

"Check out this magazine cut off on this 1903 Springfield....You know a lot of saps think that's a safety...":laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:

tribeofham

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 21, 2017
    Fishers
    Those 9.95 rifles would only cost 80.40 today not taking into effect supply and demand. Even the one for 34.95 would cost 281.27 in todays dollars.

That's incredible. Ammo was certainly cheaper, too. The one thing we have going for us is the internet. It makes shopping around far easier.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    Indy1919 and I had a time machine all set to go.....We asked doggydaddy to go with us....We had only one shot and Indy1919 and I had settled on 1960 as the best year to go to and stock up on surplus deals...We had been hitting coin and currency shops for weeks and had about $2500 between us of 1950's era silver certificates and coin....We hopped in and it took us back to 2014 in MY SHOP.....

We were POed!!!!! We asked doggydaddy what the heck he had done????? He said HE changed the time we were going to...He said he needed to fix something that happened then, a mistake he once made that he pays for still....

He then looked at Indy1919 and I with a very serious face and said...

"Check out this magazine cut off on this 1903 Springfield....You know a lot of saps think that's a safety...":laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:

6m6z1.gif

:p

indy1919a4

Master
    Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Jan 7, 2011
    Picked up a Krag the other day, I knew nothing about it... So I called DD to walk me through it... So he told me where the trigger was, I said "cool, works just like a God fearing Mauser trigger". All was good.. Then I asked where the safety was, He told me. I said "cool, worked just like a God fearing Mauser".. (Looked a little dainty to me) then I said whats that switch on the side... (it was an honest question)... My Gosh.. the screaming over the phone.. "Did Indiucky tell you to ask that" then the weeping and crying, Finally I had to hang up on him, he was just bringing me down... Heck I still do not know what that switch does...

g+16

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 8, 2009
    I can remember as a youngster walking into a feed store with my dad, and see barrells full of old rifles for sale, 10, 12 bucks great days

Top Bottom