• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Tryin'

Victimized
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Nov 18, 2009
    Hamilton County
    No sir, not without rebuilding the whole gun. That is a cool shotgun though, shoot it and enjoy it. Be warned, they will slamfire. I love my '38 model 37 in 12ga.

lonehoosier

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    May 3, 2011
    NWI
    No sir, not without rebuilding the whole gun. That is a cool shotgun though, shoot it and enjoy it. Be warned, they will slamfire. I love my '38 model 37 in 12ga.
    I didn't think it could be done. As a left hand shooter I'm pretty excited about it. Time to load up on 16ga shells :D

Thor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 18, 2014
    Could be anywhere
    Nothing wrong with a 16ga. They are a great field gun. The only reason their popularity has flagged here in the US is they didn't allow them for skeet. Still a very popular cartridge on 'the continent'.

I have no friends like that...all mine are keeping their guns!

lonehoosier

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    May 3, 2011
    NWI
    Nothing wrong with a 16ga. They are a great field gun. The only reason their popularity has flagged here in the US is they didn't allow them for skeet. Still a very popular cartridge on 'the continent'.

I only ask because I have more 12ga round then I know what to do with :D
    Unfortunately her husband past away and she was just going to though them away.

halfmileharry

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Dec 2, 2010
    South of Indy

I have a 1947 model 16 ga. It is THE SKEET Model of course. LOL! Ribbed barrel etc.
    rh1m2p.jpg

2b3yw2.jpg

vipog9.jpg

Last edited:

Sniper 79

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Oct 7, 2012
    Post it for sale or trade for a 12ga launcher.

Or find someone to trade shells with.

I had two Ithaca 37's. Gave them to my dad. Lots of better options although great for hunting since they are not heavy. I would trade it for a 20 or 12ga.

Restroyer

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 13, 2015
    SE Indiana
    I inherited my grandpa's Ithaca 37, 16 gauge. They are nice guns and as said 16 gauge shells can still be found (Wal-Mart, Dick's Dunhams, Bass Pro, Cabelas). They just cost more than 12 gauge shells. The only brand of shells that I found that jams constantly in mine is the Winchester Super X. Remington also makes a Express Long Range Turkey shell in 16 gauge that I like.

RobbyMaQ

#BarnWoodStrong
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Mar 26, 2012
    Lizton
    Luckily I have had luck with all shells, and dad handed down a bunch of 1970's-80's shells that he's stock piled. Whenever I see them on shelves I buy a few boxes.
    Thing runs awesome. Kind of daunting to disassemble, but can be done if you take your time.

I think the main concern for the slam fire is when one has been stored/rusting for some time. The trigger/hammer assembly could possibly wind up rusting/sticking, to where a shell is loaded and instantly fires. Those are rare happenings, but can be of concern when dealing with a model 37 that hasn't been fired in ages.

halfmileharry

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Dec 2, 2010
    South of Indy
    Luckily I have had luck with all shells, and dad handed down a bunch of 1970's-80's shells that he's stock piled. Whenever I see them on shelves I buy a few boxes.
    Thing runs awesome. Kind of daunting to disassemble, but can be done if you take your time.

I think the main concern for the slam fire is when one has been stored/rusting for some time. The trigger/hammer assembly could possibly wind up rusting/sticking, to where a shell is loaded and instantly fires. Those are rare happenings, but can be of concern when dealing with a model 37 that hasn't been fired in ages.

ANY weapon can fire like that IF the firing pin is stuck forward when you cycle a shell.

lonehoosier

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    May 3, 2011
    NWI
    I definitely keeping it. It has a 26 inch barrel with a bead sight. I did pick up a box of federal game loads at Walmart for $7 to try it out. I do need to take it apart and clean it because I don't know its history.

[video=youtube_share;sa8qJQDoqqw]http://youtu.be/sa8qJQDoqqw[/video]

Last edited:

augdog

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 7, 2013
    Sheridan
    My father bought me A 16 ga model 37 for my Christmas that's been 52 yrs ago.I will be 66 next month.What A gun! I bought A slug barrel for it when I was in my early twenties. To this day when I reach into my Gun cabinet I usually grab my 37!

Top Bottom