• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • knutty

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Aug 5, 2016
    Noblesville
    They finally introduce them now that there are no longer any new factory made 5.45 AK rifles being imported. I'll still grab some for range mags when they get blown out for cheap in a couple years.

Trigger Time

Air guitar master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98.6%
    204   3   0
    Aug 26, 2011
    SOUTH of Zombie city
    They finally introduce them now that there are no longer any new factory made 5.45 AK rifles being imported. I'll still grab some for range mags when they get blown out for cheap in a couple years.
    They were everywhere for a while because people were dumping them. Couldn't give them away.
    I still see them around. Not my cup of tea. If I pick up an AK over an AR it's gonna be for the 7.62x39 cartridge. That's just me. Not knocking those that like the 74. Just not for me and I've owned the best made so it wasn't a quality issue

Sling10mm

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 12, 2012
    Not sure why the wouldn't have just done the steel reinforced right off the bat. I would assume they could look at their sales numbers for the 7.62x39 mags and determine the right direction to go with the 5.45x39. I'm just afraid there won't be enough volume on non-reinforced mags to justify designing and tooling up the reinforced version. Surely there would be a market for a $24 reinforced 5.45x39 mag, as the cheapest I have seen lately are $34 for surplus.

shooter521

Certified Glock Nut
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    May 13, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN US
    Pre-order from brownells for $13.25 each with FREE SHIPPING! This is a good price and free shipping

$13.25 is MAP, so that will probably the going rate at most places initially. Full-boat MSRP is only $13.95 - still a great deal compared to the current price of surplus mags, and comparable to the ISD Bulgarian commercial mags and ProMag/Tapco crap.

Once our distributors get some in stock, I plan on picking up a bunch to use as range beaters to save wear on my collectible and SHTF mags.

shooter521

Certified Glock Nut
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    May 13, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN US
    Pre-order from brownells for $13.25 each with FREE SHIPPING! This is a good price and free shipping

$13.25 is MAP, so that will probably the going rate at most places initially. Full-boat MSRP is only $13.95 - still a great deal compared to the current price of surplus mags, and comparable to the ISD Bulgarian commercial mags and ProMag/Tapco crap.

Once our distributors get some in stock, I plan on picking up a bunch to use as range beaters to save wear on my collectible and SHTF mags.

Now if they want to go after a *real* specific market, they should do a Bulgarian pattern 5.56 AK mag. :)

Floivanus

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 6, 2016
    La crosse
    They were everywhere for a while because people were dumping them. Couldn't give them away.
    I still see them around. Not my cup of tea. If I pick up an AK over an AR it's gonna be for the 7.62x39 cartridge. That's just me. Not knocking those that like the 74. Just not for me and I've owned the best made so it wasn't a quality issue
    The big advantage to the 5.45 over 7.62 seems to be in barrel life and lower recoil. And formerly cost, before 7N6 was banned ammo could be had for 10 cpr, now, unless you're ordering online, good luck finding ammo.

Also with a select fire gun you'll have a more controllable rifle in 5.45

tradertator

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Jul 1, 2008
    Greene County
    This is really good news IMO, and I hope other manufacturers follow suit so that the caliber grows in popularity. I am a big fan of 5.45, and shoot my 74 rifles much more that the 47's. I am fortunate, and got into them "when the gettin' was good", so I still have a pretty nice stockpile of cheap military mags and 7N6. I even have a couple thousand rounds of the ((10)) "WASP" ammo still.

Top Bottom