• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • YoungMilsurpGuy

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 18, 2013
    Crown Point
    So I found out awhile ago I have astigmatism. When I look at a red dot sight I see a blurry point of light with bits comoing off like a star going supernova.

And yes I have tried really nice optics, including a friends 2MOA Aimpoint.

Now what would be the best options in terms of optics and sighting systems. I have a iron sighted AK and I wanted to get a 74 and run collimator optics but I guess that is out of the question.

Variable power scopes seem to be an answer but they are expensive and seem not to really make you shoot faster at close range which is what Im interested in.

Perhaps I should just go retro and build an m16a1 clone and zero it at 200 yards and run around with the large apature sight? And if I want to shoot far mount a 1-6x on the carry handle retro style?

And mind you with modern barrel manufacturing you can get a very accurate pencil barrel, and unless you are dumping magazines with a bumpfire stock it will be oK.

And what is the deal with the Prismatic sights I heard they work a bit better but they are very hard to find

Gabriel

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jun 3, 2010
    The shore of wonderful Lake Michigan
    I have an astigmatism (both eyes) and still use red dots (Aimpoint micros and a PRO). For close up work, it shouldn't make any difference even if the dot looks like a bundle of grapes. I've found that turning the brightness down as low as possible while still being able to see the dot helps immensely and will help for reaching out a little bit.

I don't know anything about prismatic sights.

Audie Murphy

Master
    Rating - 95.2%
    59   3   0
    Sep 21, 2010
    Warsaw
    I have astigmatism and have the same problem as you. I still have a few rifles with red dots but really started getting into 1-4 and 1-6 optics. Both the ones I have has etched reticles and don't seem to bloom.

IndyTom

Expert
    Rating - 87.5%
    7   1   0
    Oct 3, 2013
    Fishers
    Same, but I still find red dots usable. I've also got a fix 5x prism with the illuminated reticle that doesn't burst into fireworks when it is bright. It's also not on an up-close rifle, though. I can tell you that my EOtech behind a 3x magnifier doesn't bloom, either, which makes it nice for the longer shots.

halfmileharry

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Dec 2, 2010
    South of Indy
    I have Aimpoint Comp M3, Comp M4, and T1 red dots.
    I have Leupold 3x9 and 4x12 and 4x16 scopes.
    I also have a couple of rifles with iron sights.
    I had to make a correction to avoid the blurry dots and "double hairs".
    Reading glasses work great on optics and iron sights. They even help with "low light sight loss" at some ranges.

gmcttr

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    May 22, 2013
    Columbus
    ...And what is the deal with the Prismatic sights I heard they work a bit better but they are very hard to find

Prismatic scopes (like the Vortex Spitfire AR) use an etched reticle, do not bloom like red dots and work well. 1-4x (or 6x) scopes with a true 1x and illuminated reticle also work well for fast close in work when set at 1x.

I'm currently favoring variable scopes.

halfmileharry

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Dec 2, 2010
    South of Indy
    Hmm.... maybe I have astigmatism?

Probably should go to the eye doctor more often....it's only been 20 years.:dunno::D

I have had 3 pairs of glasses made recently at a reputable eye docs place. The glasses have been crap. not ground properly, or they're probably plastic molded junk. Looking through them was distorted. Wavy glass like a cheap replacement windshield. Like a "hollywood Mirage" from the desert heat. Yea, that bad. I told them I couldn't see out of them when I picked them up. I went back to have another eye exam to see if that was the problem. Nope, just couldn't see out of the glasses. This last pair they gave me the same prescription as my 6 yr old glasses. The new glasses are pure crap. Plain and simple.
    I feel like posting the name of the place which is now a "meat market" just shuffling them in and out the door as fast as possible BUT it would be obvious within minutes why I won't.
    Sorry about a "semi-hijack" rant but it's on subject. Kinda.
    I went back 4 times to get this straightened up. I gave up finally.

halfmileharry

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Dec 2, 2010
    South of Indy
    I have had 3 pairs of glasses made recently at a reputable eye docs place. The glasses have been crap. not ground properly, or they're probably plastic molded junk. Looking through them was distorted. Wavy glass like a cheap replacement windshield. Like a "hollywood Mirage" from the desert heat. Yea, that bad. I told them I couldn't see out of them when I picked them up. I went back to have another eye exam to see if that was the problem. Nope, just couldn't see out of the glasses. This last pair they gave me the same prescription as my 6 yr old glasses. The new glasses are pure crap. Plain and simple.
    I feel like posting the name of the place which is now a "meat market" just shuffling them in and out the door as fast as possible BUT it would be obvious within minutes why I won't.
    Sorry about a "semi-hijack" rant but it's on subject. Kinda.
    I went back 4 times to get this straightened up. I gave up finally.

I'll EDIT: I saw 3 other people with the same complaints that I had with the quality. Those people were being fed the same BS that I was.

two70

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Feb 5, 2016
    Johnson
    I have fairly severe astigmatism and have no problem using red sights. I always pay for the anti-reflective coating on my prescription glasses and it helps a lot with astigmatism.

indiucky

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    I have fairly severe astigmatism and have no problem using red sights. I always pay for the anti-reflective coating on my prescription glasses and it helps a lot with astigmatism.

Same...

My problem is now my arms are too short...I got the post 50 "WT* happened to my close up vision" Blues going on....

"Went down to the eye doctor..
    got down on my knees...
    said Doc I can't see close up..
    Can you help me please??

He said no son I can't..
    Ya got the post 50 can't see
    **** up close blues..."

(And then there was a killer blues riff with a slide ending....)

eric001

Vaguely well-known member
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Apr 3, 2011
    Indianapolis
    I also am one of the lucky ones with astigmatism. I'm kind of used to having even a really good red dot looking fuzzy/star-like after years of not getting a really sharp image from them. Then by chance I noticed on my new rifle that when I flipped up the rear peep sight, the red dot got SUPER clear. Not quite sure I understand why, but using that rear pinhole sight to look through at the red dot is as sharp without my glasses as it is with them.

Don't know if that's an option for ya, OP, but I'd definitely recommend giving something like that a try if you can. :twocents:

Top Bottom