• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • cbickel

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Aug 31, 2014
    Van by the river
    I've been an owner of a few ARs for a few years. I have always been under the assumption that its not really necessary to clean your gas tube. I was down at Bradis today picking up some cleaner and the guy behind the counter randomly mentioned "Don't forget to clean your gas tube!" I was sort of taken aback by the randomness of his comment, but I inquired to what he meant. He said its "REALLY IMPORTANT".

My assumption was that every time you shoot, it blows everything out of the tube back into the bolt/carrier/receiver. So why clean it?

What are everyone's thoughts around this?

Blindside

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 17, 2015
    Columbus
    Everything I have read and watched usually says nothing about the gas tube. I think one or two articles or videos may have said to avoid getting anything in the gas tube to avoid fouling it but that's it.

gmcttr

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    May 22, 2013
    Columbus
    I've never cleaned one. Have pulled them off after several thousand rounds because I was making changes that required it and was surprised how good they looked.

While they make "pipe cleaners" long enough for the purpose, I always thought it would just push crud into the hole in the gas block leading to the barrel (which I guess would likely just get blown out when fired).

SSGSAD

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Dec 22, 2009
    Town of 900 miles
    I always, clean my gas tube, but I always clean my guns .....

I just use whatever can of pressurized cleaner, I have on hand .....

Gun scrubber, etc., .....

jotto321

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 24, 2011
    Carried the same M-4 in the Army for nearly 14 years. Many, many deployments all over the world. No earthly idea how many thousands of rounds fired through it. Never once did I or anyone else I know in the Army, civilian world, or now in Law Enforcement ever clean their gas tube. Take it for what it's worth, to each their own.

M67

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 15, 2011
    Southernish Indiana
    ARs aren't delicate little rifles. Just put lube in it and shoot the thing. I wouldn't worry about the gas tube one bit

Last edited:

cbickel

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Aug 31, 2014
    Van by the river
    Carried the same M-4 in the Army for nearly 14 years. Many, many deployments all over the world. No earthly idea how many thousands of rounds fired through it. Never once did I or anyone else I know in the Army, civilian world, or now in Law Enforcement ever clean their gas tube. Take it for what it's worth, to each their own.
    This was my thinking as well. Don't have the experience you do, but have been told the like. I'd be curious to hear why people believe in religious cleaning of it.

raptrbreth

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Feb 20, 2013
    New Palestine
    I am with jotto, all my years in the Marine Corps and every year since I have never cleaned the gas tube. I am no expert but I would think that because most gas tubes are never truly sealed, the buildup of carbon around the gas block helps with cycling. If he was talking inside the upper receiver, where it meets the BCG, then clean it like everything else.

sloughfoot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Apr 17, 2008
    Huntertown, IN
    My main AR Service Rifle is now on it's third Kreiger barrel after the Colt chrome barrel. Approaching 17,000 rounds on the same gas tube.

It has never been cleaned.

DanVoils

Master
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Feb 20, 2010
    Well it was Bradis so...

I've never cleaned a gas tube or heard or anyone else going it. Do the standard M4 clean and you'll be fine.

natdscott

User Unknown
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 20, 2015
    The guy at Bradis was either trolling you, or is an idiot. Or both.

The only gas tubes that need cleaned are the ones that have pipe cleaners stuck in them.

I will comment that since I use an expanding bore cleaner, I WILL use a pipe cleaner to remove some of the solvent residue from the tube before firing the rifle again, but that is ONLY because I don't like a face full of solvent from that first shot or two. It's not really needed at all. I have figured out a safe way to do it, and haven't gotten a cleaner stuck. Yet.

-Nate

Last edited:

Trigger Time

Air guitar master
    Rating - 98.6%
    204   3   0
    Aug 26, 2011
    SOUTH of Zombie city
    I've been an owner of a few ARs for a few years. I have always been under the assumption that its not really necessary to clean your gas tube. I was down at Bradis today picking up some cleaner and the guy behind the counter randomly mentioned "Don't forget to clean your gas tube!" I was sort of taken aback by the randomness of his comment, but I inquired to what he meant. He said its "REALLY IMPORTANT".

My assumption was that every time you shoot, it blows everything out of the tube back into the bolt/carrier/receiver. So why clean it?

What are everyone's thoughts around this?

I think they were ****ing with you.

JAL

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 14, 2017
    Indiana

:yesway:

I carried a M16A1 for five years, but not the same one. Also had arms rooms filled with hundreds of them under my command at various times during a 21 year career. Not once did I ever clean a gas tube, nor was I ever aware of anyone ever cleaning a gas tube, not even the unit armorers. Nor were they ever cleaned for an impending IG inspection, for which the standard preparation has motor pool maintenance bay floors cleaner than the post hospital's surgical suite operating rooms.

John

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    My main AR Service Rifle is now on it's third Kreiger barrel after the Colt chrome barrel. Approaching 17,000 rounds on the same gas tube.

It has never been cleaned.

I have the same story, never even sprayed WD-40 down it, on several rifles that have each had at least two replacement barrels.

I have seen cleaning supplies; basically tactikool pipe cleaners. I think their biggest benefit is to generate income for the seller.

Think of the physics, a flame at up to 50,000 psi is going through it for that moment between the bullet passing the port and the bullet leaving the barrel. How is a plastic straw on a spray can and a pipe cleaner going to remove anything that will withstand the high temps and pressure?

Like the auto parts stores trying to hustle special grease for tail light bulbs.

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    I will comment that since I use an expanding bore cleaner, I WILL use a pipe cleaner to remove some of the solvent residue from the tube before firing the rifle again, but that is ONLY because I don't like a face full of solvent from that first shot or two. It's not really needed at all. I have figured out a safe way to do it, and haven't gotten a cleaner stuck. Yet.

-Nate

you clean your barrel ???????

Top Bottom