• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • junk

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 25, 2016
    state of confusion
    Just bought a 1957 .the barrel has NM on it, with bolt closed the s/n matches with a national match. What else do I look for? Gun s/n 609xxxx. Large P in Stock.

Last edited:

Orlando8

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 20, 2014
    Central Ohio
    with bolt closed the s/n matches with a national match. .
    Not sure what you mean by that. The only serial number on a Garand is on the receiver heel.
    If there are no other NM parts your rifle is just a Garand with a NM barrel. May have been a NM at one time , no more desrireable than any other garand. Its not that unusual to find Garands that only NM part is the barrel

Last edited:

junk

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 25, 2016
    state of confusion
    American rifleman talks about a type one with a drawing number and heat treat number . Mine has it. NM on the barrel, I'm not sure about the sights. I'm real new to this. The gun hasn't been shot in over 25 year. My friend had it then died, his wife finally sold it to me. Very nice shape.

Warrior1354

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 25, 2017
    Carthage
    Hard too say without pictures. Sounds like the barrel was replaced many years ago and a national match barrel was put into its place. But you do have a 1942 made Garand so you may still have alot of WW2 rifles left in this rifle. Is the op rod uncut, still a lock-bar rear sight set, trigger guard the milled not, etc. And sorry too hear about your friends passing glad too see someone he knew got this rifle.

If your looking for ammo for it there will be plenty at the next 1500 show in August.

junk

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 25, 2016
    state of confusion
    I miss read. S/n matches 1957 run . 6098719 . It states many in that time frame were national match. What are the odds of getting the papers from the government?

Orlando8

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 20, 2014
    Central Ohio
    I miss read. S/n matches 1957 run . 6098719 . It states many in that time frame were national match. What are the odds of getting the papers from the government?
    Zero
    You can send a request to CMP with $25 and they will tell you if they ever sold it
    Bottom line, it may have been a NM at one time, if it only has NM barrel its just a Garand wth a NM barrel. No more desireable than any other rifle. CMP just sold a bunch of 6 mils, many of them came with NM barrels
    Your rifle is nothing unusual, take it to the range and enjoy it for what it is

Warrior1354

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 25, 2017
    Carthage
    Well if thats the case enjoy the last run of the finest made battle rifles of the century!

Sometimes the 6 million serial numbered rifles bring more too the Garand collectors being their the last ones made. Put most of them have been put together from parts lots.

Like I said enjoy it, shoot it, and don't get your thumb caught in it!

red_zr24x4

UA#190
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 14, 2009
    Walkerton
    Not sure how much is available, but join the CMP and buy ammo made for the Garand, if not look for ammo made for the M1 so you don't bend the op rod

Winamac

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 11, 2011
    Logansport
    Just bought a 1957 .the barrel has NM on it, with bolt closed the s/n matches with a national match. What else do I look for? Gun s/n 609xxxx. Large P in Stock.

Any other car-touches on the stock besides the circle P? There should be a square with eagle over stars in a box on the left side just forward of the pistol grip.Like other have said here. The high serial numbered Garands are sought after by Garand collectors beacuse many saw little to no service before they were phased out by the M-14. With regard to ammo check out the CMP (Civilian Marksmanship Program) on line. They sell Garand 30-06 by the case and reasonable. Even better drive to Camp Parry Ohio and pick it up. It is a great road trip.

wagyu52

Master
    Rating - 100%
    31   0   0
    Sep 4, 2011
    South of cob corner
    Zero
    You can send a request to CMP with $25 and they will tell you if they ever sold it
    Bottom line, it may have been a NM at one time, if it only has NM barrel its just a Garand wth a NM barrel. No more desireable than any other rifle. CMP just sold a bunch of 6 mils, many of them came with NM barrels
    Your rifle is nothing unusual, take it to the range and enjoy it for what it is

Is this meant to be purple? Shouldn't it end with I'll take it off your hands for $700.
    Yes, a 6mil Garand is very desirable and unusual regardless if it's a N/M or not.
    I highly suggest you send in a request to the CMP, I think it's $75. Well worth the money to find out if they sold it and what grade it is, paperwork could easily triple the value.

Winamac

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 11, 2011
    Logansport
    Yes, a 6mil Garand is very desirable and unusual regardless if it's a N/M or not.
    I highly suggest you send in a request to the CMP, I think it's $75. Well worth the money to find out if they sold it and what grade it is, paperwork could easily triple the value

^^^^^^THIS^^^^^^

We're going to Ohio. There is a stamp as described above

^^^^^^^DEFINITELY THIS^^^^^^ Been there 3 times and well worth the time.:)

LarryC

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 18, 2012
    Frankfort
    We're going to Ohio. There is a stamp as described above

You may want to join the CMP prior to going. There are some requirement to be able to purchase from them. First you have to prove your citizenship, you must belong to a CMP affiliated gun club. (if you don't currently belong to a club there are various online clubs that are reasonable). You must also have 1) proof you have shot in NRA matches or 2) be a current or prior military member or 3) Be of a certain age. These must be proven and submitted to the CMP (all requirements are shown of their web site) before you can purchase! Once you have "qualified" you can remain a member forever ~ in my case since I belong to a conservation club with annual membership I must send in a copy of my new proof of membership yearly.

My son and I both belong, and have purchased Garands at Port Clinton Ohio a few years ago. Ours were a special grade ~ M1 Garand special Grade Excellent (Pristine) condition EXCEPT at the time they had a few rifles that met that criteria but had the original barrels retained. The gentleman at the counter told us the original barrels had perfect bores and gaged as new, so they were not changed as the normal for that grade. As we both would rather have as "as new" original barrel, we purchased those. At that time the price was $50 lower than those that had a new Criterion barrel. If you purchase a Garand at the store, we could either pay the Ohio sales tax (quite high) or have the firearm shipped to your door for as I recall $25. At the time a few years ago the Garand, including a hard shell rifle case was $950, We also bought a few other things at the store, some ammo, slings etc. I have also purchased a couple thousand or so rounds from the CMP over the last few years.

red_zr24x4

UA#190
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 14, 2009
    Walkerton
    Your LTCH will cover the shooting requirement
    The Garand Collectors Association will cover the club. It's $25 a year and you get a nice magazine a few times a year.
    Down load and print the requirements and application forms, fill them out and have them notarized before you head to Port Clinton.
    Enjoy!

Top Bottom