• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • TheJoker

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 9, 2010
    Shelby County
    So, I had to do a hard reset on my Windows phone which seemed to fix the bugs I was experiencing. The downside is that I have to reload my apps(...among other things :xmad: ).

I was using an app called Ballistics. Before I load it again, I thought I'd ask what everyone else uses. I don't need anything terrible fancy. So far, I'm only shooting KD with my M1Ds.

Which ballistics apps do you recommend? Why??

avboiler11

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jun 12, 2011
    New Albany
    I have Shooter, Ballistic AE, and Applied Ballistics apps.

I use Shooter the most; its UI is the cleanest/easiest IMO. I also have been using it the longest, which I'm sure influences my opinion. Problem with Shooter, however, is a lack of updates. This is where Applied Ballistics comes in - it gets regular updates when Bryan Litz tests new bullets.

If I were to get one today, I'd go with AB.

TheJoker

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 9, 2010
    Shelby County
    A few days ago, I loaded two different apps(Ballistica & Ballistics), compared them to each other and to the dope I gathered at the RR KD event last February using the M1D. As a software engineer, it fascinates me(...not in a good way!) how wildly different the answers are to the same question. So far, I trust the chart I took from a USGI field manual over either product.

Keep in mind, I am limited to what is available for my Windows Phone(...yeah, don't get me started about THAT choice!). Today, I did find and purchase Strelok. Later in the week I'll run the numbers and see what I get.

Thanks for all the input!!!

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    I bought Strelok+ which is in-between the free and the pro. It does more than I need. I just couldn't justify going to the pro level when it would just provide all those extra things to ignore.

TheJoker

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 9, 2010
    Shelby County
    I bought Strelok, the Windows version. It and Ballistica are very close to each other and the USGI Chart.

Ballistix seems to be off significantly; but, in fairness, it could be operator error.

I'll play with these for now. Thanks again for all the input.

Hop

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 21, 2008
    Indy
    Just remember that you have to be able to shoot groups smaller than a couple MOA before complaining about an app being off by a couple MOA. :):

TheJoker

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 9, 2010
    Shelby County
    Just remember that you have to be able to shoot groups smaller than a couple MOA before complaining about an app being off by a couple MOA. :):

Oh fine, slap me in the face with a little reality. :runaway: Thanks for that!

In February, the USGI chart kept me on the paper(...and sometimes in the black) all weekend. Maybe I'd better stick with it until I'm shooting 6 MOA groups, Huh!

GreyState

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 22, 2017
    Ft Wayne
    I pop between Ballistic (Advanced Edition), Strelok Pro, and a third one that I haven't seen mentioned...Trasol (from Desert Tech). Of the three I usually run Ballistic AE. There was a little more learning curve, but once I got the hang of it, it was pretty intuitive and can call up dope pretty quick.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    Wonder if there is an app that ties reloading data and notes to ballistics and range usage?

It'd be great to have an app that target pictures could be tied into load workup data. Similarly, versatility for field notes, recordings, etc. to be added for later sprucing up on a desktop system. Something that would allow simple inputs across devices depending on location. Maybe this exists?

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    I run Ballistic AE and have had good luck with it. I had Applied Ballistics on Android but I don't feel like paying for it a second time on Apple.

Ruger_Ronin

Turkey Herder
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Aug 22, 2017
    Outer Heaven
    Revival time! Was going to do a thread, but thought I'd dig in the cemetery first.

Another vote for Strelok+. As previously mentioned, it is the midgrade version ($4.99?) and does more than I need it to do. I have on multiple occasions printed charts, reticle w/holdovers, etc. for field use. A little c&p editing and you have a very handy pocket-sized card.

If anyone is looking to improve their data collection, I highly recommend this ballistic app:
    https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.borisov.strelokplus
    a4d0dd9943d542fa8cf872b30ececb80.jpg

Top Bottom